Figure Anatomy is a great reference and learning app to help draw human characters for both beginner and expert artists. This app works on both iPad and iPhone.
Choose from a number of poses from 3D scanned models, and create your composition by adjusting lighting and the camera view. Just like in a real figure drawing session, move the lights around the model to create an interesting interplay of lights and shadows, or to match the lighting of a specific scene.
Sketch using standard view as reference or bring the models to life by utilizing the Augmented Reality (AR) feature to put the model in a real environment. Check your sketch proportions with the reference model using the Sketch Alignment Camera feature. Share your work with your friends on Facebook.
- Choose from the list of 3D scanned models for preferred poses
- Make the model move with a slider to adjust the pose
- FOV Slider for Camera Focal Length
- Select between spotlight or directional light
- Adjust the light angles and intensity
- Adjust the rim light
- Lock button to lock the user interface
- Hide User Interface for full screen
- Randomize among 64 camera and lighting presets available
- Reset to default view and lighting setup
- Choose between a textured or untextured mode
- Augmented reality mode using ARKit to place the figure into your environment. (For supported devices only)
- Check the proportions of your drawing by using camera mode
- Share your masterpiece with your friends via Facebook
Crash fix on some devices.
Ratings and Reviews
Great potential, not enough content
I was really excited when I stumbled across this app, and when I tried it out, even more so. The developers did a great job with the controls and this is the type of app, when fully developed, that could really speed up the professional illustrators workflow. Unfortunately the app is crippled by two things, a lack of available poses and a bad pricing model.
There are thousands of available pose references online, many for free. This tool is better that all of them in its ability to move the model freely, and adjust the lighting dynamically, as well as the focal length of the “camera”. This is incredibly useful! But unfortunately all of this is useless to me as there are not enough poses. This tool would need to contain a library of hundreds of poses before I could consider using it professionally. It should also have facial expressions and hand poses to be fully realized.
The UI could use some work as well, feels dated. Get rid of the textures, it just clutters things up. That’s a nitpick though.
Lastly, no one is going to pay $1 per pose. Get a huge catalog of poses then charge a subscription model for professionals, then have a light version for the tinkerers. Honestly there is a big opportunity being missed here. This could be an indispensable tool for professional illustrators.
Poor resolution for some of the images you buy
Ironically, the free image is one of the best resolution of the images I have. Two of the three I’ve purchased of the female model are poor resolution (images #4 and #6). The images I’ve purchased of the male model seem fine, but the images I bought of the female model were a waste of money.
It's really useful if you like to spend money
Does everything it tells you perfectly. But nearly every pose cost money, can't really change the body positions it's just a fix body
- Human Engine LLC
- 224.6 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Unrestricted Web Access
- Frequent/Intense Sexual Content or Nudity
- © Human Engine LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Model 0003 $0.99
- Model 0001 $0.99
- Model 0007 $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.