Experience ANZAC History brought to life! – It’s World War 1, and the battles of Fromelles and Pozieres, major battles in the Somme offensive, are raging.
Hear the story of these battles narrated by Hugo Weaving while you explore 3D battlefields, trenches and a wealth of other resources to gain an understanding of how these World War 1 battles were fought.
This app was produced by the Department of Veterans' Affairs and the ABC and is the follow up to Gallipoli:The First Day
• Narration by Hugo Weaving
• Accurate, interactive 3D map spaces pinpointing events across both battles.
• 4 detailed battle scene dioramas give insight into day to day life in WW1 - The German and British trenches, ANZAC artillery and Close Quarters fighting
• 3D models of military hardware showcasing the technology available to the opposing sides in battle.
• Video commentaries and audio war diaries, bring the poignant experiences to life featuring expert video commentary by Major General (Retd.) Mike O’Brien and Dr Roger Lee Head of the Australian Army History Unit and Army
• Personnel records, archival photographs and military trees detailing some of the thousands of soldiers who fought on the day.
• Achievements – as users progress they are rewarded with an increase in rank and specialist medals
• Education resources linking app content to year 9 of the Australian History Curriculum
Fix some typographical errors
Ratings and Reviews
Good fun way to learn about how battles unfolded during the Great War.
Good fun way to learn about how battles unfolded during the Great War. But I do not know how historically accurate it is and wish there was some more battles to look at. Overall pretty good
Miss some old things, still great.
I still think this is a great way to show an over view of the battles of WW1. I do miss how in the Gallipoli app, they had recreations of key events. But now they are separate as dioramas. These are still cool, but I still wish they had some scenes in the actual sequence of events. Still very good.
Very good, I even used it for my YouTube channel
This app is very good. The graphics could improve, but other then that it is amazing! I used some of the diorama scenes for my YouTube channel History Boy, so you can check the scenes out there, before getting this app, if you wish. I would highly recommend this app for in and out of school learning.
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation
- 475.7 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- © Australian Broadcasting Corporation
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.