We had no choice. We had to build Blink or we were going to jump out the window in frustration over the tools we were using. We started by analyzing what the must-haves were and we ended up grounding Blink on these four concepts:
• Fast rendering: dmesg in your Unix server should be instantaneous. We can't wait even a second to render. We didn't need to reinvent the wheel to make this happen. We simply used Chromium's HTerm to ensure that rendering is perfect and fast, even with those special, tricky encodings.
• Always on: Mosh transcends SSH's variability. Mosh overcomes the unstable and intermittent connectivity that we all associate with mobile connections. You can check your Safari without fear of having to restart the SSH connection. You can flawlessly jump from home, to the train, and then the office thanks to Mosh. Blink is rock-solid connected all the way. Mosh is readily available and can be easily installed on your server. Go to https://mosh.mit.edu.
• Best Keyboard Support: Blink embraces Bluetooth-coupled keyboards with gusto. But there's more, because we want more. Some like Caps as Esc on Vim, others Caps as Ctrl on Emacs. Blink champions them all. During your always-on sessions, you're in your zone.
• Custom Fonts and Themes: We know how important it is to have your terminal, your way. That's why we include a selection of fonts and themes, including Powerline variants. And if that isn't enough, you can create and add your own.
But, Blink is much more. Please read on.
• You should command your terminal, not navigate it. Blink will jump you right into a friendly shell and it'll be clear to you how to roll.
• The interface is straightforward. We dumped all menus and went full screen for your terminal. Use swipe to move between your open connections, slide down to close them, and even pinch to zoom!
• Configure your Blink connections by adding your own Hosts and RSA Encryption keys. Synchronise with iCloud. Everything will look familiar and you get to work, fast!
We've incorporated SplitView, for those necessary Google searches and chats with coworkers.
Blink is open source software. Participate in our community, and don’t forget to leave us your feedback and your feature(s) requests. Enjoy!
More fixes to make for the best experience:
* We have added a flag (-2) to mosh so that you can connect with the new libssh or the old libssh2, for those who may still have compatibility issues.
* You can change to the old icon within the Appearance section.
* Improved mosh state restoration. #577
* Fixed grab ctrl+space option. #588, #606
* Fixed ssh default user. #605
* Fixed known_hosts check.
* Fixed restore cursor and text styles after command termination.
* Updated libssh to 0.8.5
* Fixed scp with custom port
We are working on a few changes for the iPad Pro, but wanted to release this to everyone ASAP!
Ratings and Reviews
Excellent product, support, and community
I’m a SSH newbie, learning how to create instances within the cloud, so I was both very interested in the Blink application for many reasons: being able to SSH into my instances using only my iPad (giving some definite freedom there!), and because of all the rave reviews that are out there. I had to learn quite a lot about public and private keys and moving them around for access, but I was able to successfully thanks to both Carlos Cabanero, who was exceedingly helpful and friendly, as well as a few community members who answered my question right away. Frankly, I was surprised to get such helpful answers, I felt embarrassed about asking things that I felt sure marked me as Newbie from a mile away :) But, anyways, now I’m able to SSH into my AWS EC2 instances and I couldn’t be happier..
Key Transmission is not as Expected
EDIT: emacs undo now works! Thanks devs! Screen rotation issue also seems mostly fixed! Great ssh + mosh app. Recommended.
While it's great that the developer offers key-remapping some keys like Ctrl+/ (undo in emacs) do not work as intended. This prevents it from being the 'pro emacs' 20$ app toted by the devs. There are a few other key transmission issues as well (see GH-issues page). This, plus there are a ton of resizing issues where 1/4 - 1/2 of the screen is non-usable until a new session is started. Resizing should be a trivial problem to solve. Please resolve this!
Overpriced for a terminal program that cant resize properly and can't transmit vanilla key-bindings.
Simply the best for command line power users
The best words I can think of to describe blink are “thoughtfully designed and curated.” Every CLI feature you need is present, from key remapping (yes, you _can_ have Caps act as Ctrl on iOS!) to truecolor terminal to SSH key copying. The development team is responsive given the chosen release cycle, with new features and fixes acknowledged on Twitter and GitHub. It also wonderfully integrates with iOS with features like iCloud Keychain syncing and (while I’ve never had a chance to use it) the ability to use an external display. For iOS users that live in the command line, there is simply no substitute.
- Carlos Cabanero SL
- 48 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2016-2018 Carlos Cabañero
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.