Blink Shell: Mosh & SSH Terminal
By Carlos Cabanero
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Do Blink! Mosh and SSH did. Blink is the first professional, desktop-grade terminal for iOS that leverages the support of both. Thus, we can unequivocally guarantee stable connections, crazy-fast speeds, and full configurations. It can and should be your all-day-long tool. Check it out!
We had no choice. We had to build Blink or we were going to jump out the window in frustration over the tools we were using. We started by analyzing what the must-haves were and we ended up grounding Blink on these three concepts:
• Fast rendering: dmesg in your Unix server should be instantaneous. We can't wait even a second to render. We didn't need to reinvent the wheel to make this happen. We simply used Chromium's HTerm to ensure that rendering is perfect and fast, even with those special, tricky encodings.
• Always on: Mosh transcends SSH's variability. Mosh overcomes the unstable and intermittent connectivity that we all associate with mobile connections. You can check your Safari without fear of having to restart the SSH connection. You can flawlessly jump from home, to the train, and then the office thanks to Mosh. Blink is rock-solid connected all the way. Mosh is readily available and can be easily installed on your server. Go to https://mosh.mit.edu.
• Fully configurable: Blink embraces Bluetooth-coupled keyboards with gusto. But there's more, because we want more. Some like Caps as Esc on Vim, others Caps as Ctrl on Emacs. Blink champions them all. During your always-on sessions, you're in your zone.
• Custom Fonts and Themes: We know how important it is to have your terminal, your way. That's why we include a selection of fonts and themes, including Powerline variants. And if that isn't enough, you can create and add your own.
But, Blink is much more. Please read on.
• You should command your terminal, not navigate it. Blink will jump you right into a friendly shell and it'll be clear to you how to roll.
• The interface is straightforward. We dumped all menus and went full screen for your terminal. Use swipe to move between your open connections, slide down to close them, and even pinch to zoom!
• Configure your Blink connections by adding your own Hosts and RSA Encryption keys. Synchronise with iCloud. Everything will look familiar and you get to work, fast!
We've incorporated SplitView, for those necessary Google searches and chats with coworkers.
Blink is open source software. Participate in our community, and don’t forget to leave us your feedback and your feature(s) requests. Enjoy!
What's New in Version 4.0
Keeping your Blink updated, one more week!
- iCloud Hosts sync. Synchronize hosts between devices. If a Host already has been synced, it provides conflict resolution. No critical data like passwords is saved.
- Added ARMv7 support. Support for 32 bit devices like iPad 2, 3, iPhone 5, etc... We added this as a feature for our current users, but please take into account some devices are really slow.
- Added IPv6 support for hosts.
- Share Public Encryption Keys. You can now share the public key from the Keys section to other apps, like Mail.
- Updated Fira Code font to v1.204.
- Improved error checking on Themes and Font uploads. Auto correct if the GH URL is not a raw one.
- Fixed bug with password not getting saved on host creation
- Fixed crash when hitting arrows with landscape keyboard on Plus devices.
- Rolled back LC_CTYPE enforcement on server.
I don't write reviews often, but I would like to support these developers. This app is great, very simple and easy to use. Mosh is way better than SSH, with the ssh apps, if you minimize the app to view the web or some documentation, you would be disconnected from the ssh tunnel. With Mosh, you can be connected all day long even if you turn off the ipad screen and come back an hour later. Thank you Blink!!
Feels like laptop but on my iPad
This app is great. I get to feel like I'm on my laptop and using iTerm but without anything extra. Mosh support is great.
The guy who works on this responds quickly and fixes things the community wants fixed.
Well worth the price imho