We had no choice. We had to build Blink or we were going to jump out the window in frustration over the tools we were using. We started by analyzing what the must-haves were and we ended up grounding Blink on these four concepts:
• Fast rendering: dmesg in your Unix server should be instantaneous. We can't wait even a second to render. We didn't need to reinvent the wheel to make this happen. We simply used Chromium's HTerm to ensure that rendering is perfect and fast, even with those special, tricky encodings.
• Always on: Mosh transcends SSH's variability. Mosh overcomes the unstable and intermittent connectivity that we all associate with mobile connections. You can check your Safari without fear of having to restart the SSH connection. You can flawlessly jump from home, to the train, and then the office thanks to Mosh. Blink is rock-solid connected all the way. Mosh is readily available and can be easily installed on your server. Go to https://mosh.mit.edu.
• Best Keyboard Support: Blink embraces Bluetooth-coupled keyboards with gusto. But there's more, because we want more. Some like Caps as Esc on Vim, others Caps as Ctrl on Emacs. Blink champions them all. During your always-on sessions, you're in your zone.
• Custom Fonts and Themes: We know how important it is to have your terminal, your way. That's why we include a selection of fonts and themes, including Powerline variants. And if that isn't enough, you can create and add your own.
But, Blink is much more. Please read on.
• You should command your terminal, not navigate it. Blink will jump you right into a friendly shell and it'll be clear to you how to roll.
• The interface is straightforward. We dumped all menus and went full screen for your terminal. Use swipe to move between your open connections, slide down to close them, and even pinch to zoom!
• Configure your Blink connections by adding your own Hosts and RSA Encryption keys. Synchronise with iCloud. Everything will look familiar and you get to work, fast!
We've incorporated SplitView, for those necessary Google searches and chats with coworkers.
Blink is open source software. Participate in our community, and don’t forget to leave us your feedback and your feature(s) requests. Enjoy!
Changes in Build 97
* Fixed system wide font selection. #701, 704
* Added configuration views for x-callback-url.
* New font size measure algorithm. #702, #668
* Added Iosevka font.
* Added `config delete-activities all` command. #700
* Fixed missing host in siri shortcuts. #592
Huge thanks to @toph-allen, @Kamik423, @comfortablynick, @Harwood and @maurizio-manuguerra-mq.
Ratings and Reviews
Excellent product, support, and community
I’m a SSH newbie, learning how to create instances within the cloud, so I was both very interested in the Blink application for many reasons: being able to SSH into my instances using only my iPad (giving some definite freedom there!), and because of all the rave reviews that are out there. I had to learn quite a lot about public and private keys and moving them around for access, but I was able to successfully thanks to both Carlos Cabanero, who was exceedingly helpful and friendly, as well as a few community members who answered my question right away. Frankly, I was surprised to get such helpful answers, I felt embarrassed about asking things that I felt sure marked me as Newbie from a mile away :) But, anyways, now I’m able to SSH into my AWS EC2 instances and I couldn’t be happier..
Very good terminal emulation
Very good, very fast terminal emulation. Intuitive setup for folk familiar with cli. Very easy to import keys and configure hosts. Support for multiple color themes similar to those found in common desktop terminal emulators. mosh support is really nice. It is a little pricey but I definitely prefer this to some free or cheaper alternatives. I had been using Cathode for a while and look forward to this replacing that as my daily driver for terminal needs.
My one very minor gripe is that when using the apple magic keyboard and swapping caps lock for control they caps lock led still lights up. If any of the devs see this and can fix that that would be pretty neat. It isn’t a real big deal and the swap functions as intended but looking down occasionally and seeing the green light turn on and off is a little annoying.
Key Transmission is not as Expected
EDIT: emacs undo now works! Thanks devs! Screen rotation issue also seems mostly fixed! Great ssh + mosh app. Recommended.
While it's great that the developer offers key-remapping some keys like Ctrl+/ (undo in emacs) do not work as intended. This prevents it from being the 'pro emacs' 20$ app toted by the devs. There are a few other key transmission issues as well (see GH-issues page). This, plus there are a ton of resizing issues where 1/4 - 1/2 of the screen is non-usable until a new session is started. Resizing should be a trivial problem to solve. Please resolve this!
Overpriced for a terminal program that cant resize properly and can't transmit vanilla key-bindings.
- Carlos Cabanero SL
- 50.2 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (9.7‑inch), iPad Pro (9.7-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (10.5‑inch), iPad Pro (10.5-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini (5th generation), iPad mini (5th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad Air (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular,and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2016-2019 Carlos Cabañero
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.