ABBYY BookScanner – smart pocket scanner for books!
BookScanner turns your mobile device into a powerful mobile scanner to quickly capture books, create electronic copies in PDF and JPG, EPUB or FB2 and apply online OCR to recognize texts from scans for further editing and sharing.
Create an ebook on your iPhone or iPad and make perfect digital copies of paper ones. BookScanner is a lifesaver for students, researchers and virtually anyone, that is always at hand.
• BOOKSCANNER. Take a snapshot of facing book pages. BookScanner will split the shot into two separate images and correct any distortions and lighting defects. It will then unbend any curved lines as if you pressed the book against the glass of a desktop scanner.
• EBOOKS. Scan paper books and create electronic copies in PDF, JPEG, EPUB or FB2.
• OCR. Recognize text (OCR) on scans in 193 languages (including Latin, Cyrillic and CJK alphabets) and choose from among 12 output formats (DOCX, PDF, TXT and more) preserving the original document formatting such as lists, tables and headers.
• ANNOTATE SCANS. Use our set of easy-to-use tools to modify your PDFs: add your signature or a text box, use highlighter, write with a pen, or conceal sensitive content with the redaction tool.
• MULTIPAGE DOCS. Create, edit and enhance separate images or large multi-page books (up to 100 pages per book) quickly and easily.
• SHARE & EXPORT. Send books via email, save in cloud storages - iCloud Drive, Dropbox, Google Drive, Yandex.Disk, Evernote and more, transfer them to your Mac or PC using iTunes sharing.
• BUILT-IN FILE STORAGE. Save scans inside the app with tags and search capabilities.
• PASSWORD POTECTION. Protect your image-only PDF files with a password while exporting and sending via email.
• AUTO-CAPTURE AND FILTERS. Excellent visual quality with auto-capture of page boundaries and advanced image filters, which processes scans in color, greyscale or black-and-white versions.
• BEST-SHOT PHOTO MODE. Select Best-shot button on the viewfinder and BookScanner will automatically choose and process the best of the three images captured.
• 3D TOUCH AND SPOTLIGHT SEARCH. Tap the BookScanner icon and find scans straight from the home screen of your iPhone or iPad.
• AIRPRINT. Print out scans directly from your iPhone or iPad.
Your Library Pocket Scanner.
Please leave a review if you like BookScanner. It will be highly appreciated!
BookScanner has significantly changed. The design was absolutely rethought:
+ edit screen,
+ crop screen,
+ filter screen.
What’s more, the app now automatically goes to edit screen if the photo is imported from the gallery.
Also, it now fully supports iOS 12 and Siri Shortcuts
+ Choose Batch mode to scan multiple pages
+ Quality of document preview and saved documents has increased
Major changes introduced in past releases:
+ Improved export to OneDrive.
+ Changes in accordance with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in the European Union.
+ Small improvements to the online OCR process.
Welcome the new BookScanner and share your feedback in AppStore.
Ratings and Reviews
It’s an outstanding product very easy to use and it actually copies great
Developer Response ,
Hello! Thank you very much for the feedback and rating us high! We are glad to hear that! Have a nice day, ABBYY Mobile Team
Do not buy this app!
I never write reviews but I have to when it comes to Book scanner Pro. Please do not waste your money on this app. If there was a free version or even a .99 version, it may be worth a try.
I bought this to scan books instead of using our office Canon Copier scanner option with hopes of saving time. This app has some cool features like being able to scan two pages and then separates them into separate pages. It has OCR capabilities as well.
However when you’ve scanned ten pages it stops to tell you to send to their server for processing. It is so slow! Plus there is another two steps of processing to get the OCR PDF. All equally at slow. With that rate it’s taking even longer than the Canon scanner. And on top of it the final resolution is low quality.
And of course there is no way to get your money back! So yeah, please do not buy this app. It is a total rip off.
Developer Response ,
Hello, J. Gang! Thank you for the review. Please, try to update our app, it may help you solve listed problems :) Best regards, ABBYY Mobile
Best book scanner for iOS, but expensive
I have to lower my rating down to 3 stars. I like this app a lot... WHEN IT’S NOT CRASHING EVERY TIME. And that’s probably my biggest peeve with it. It crashes like crazy. If I’m deleting old pdf’s I have stored for a long time one by one? Crashes almost immediately. If I’m trying to create a large pdf and going through each page to check if it’s right before creating the pdf? Crashes like crazy. You’d think for an app that charges over 40 dollars, they’d have everything run almost flawlessly, or at least, try to fix bugs ASAP.
Original review below:
The ability to detect words and pages is much better than some other apps that I’ve bought and used. It will also allow you to take 3 of the same picture, then it will pick the best of the 3 (which can save you having to go back and rescan a lot of pages). It also allows you the option to scan 1 image and split it into 2 images like a book, to save about half of the work (you can also uncheck this option if you want to scan single-page stuff like documents). And has numerous options for how you want the scanned images to be saved (photo, or high detail pdf, low detail pdf, searchable pdf, etc) as well as many different ways you want to export your files, etc. Adding and removing pages as well as changing the page order once you’re done saving your pdfs is also available and quite easy.
However, you do need to be connected to the internet (and their server essentially) to be able to scan and convert files (which could mean if the app ever stops receiving support and the servers go down for good, you will never be able to use this again), and it does take a while if you try to scan too many pages at one time. It also costs a LOT if you try to buy it full price ($60 price for an internet-based scanner is NOT worth 5 stars); if you’re not in an absolute hurry to buy this, I’d suggest putting it on a price watch app or website, and then buying it when it goes down in price (which is what I did).
The other thing I’d recommend is that if you’re mainly using this to scan books, I’d suggest also buying an acrylic wall-mounted sign holder (mine is 17” x 11”), and lay it on top of an open book’s pages to allow it to stay open, yet still enable you to clearly see through and take a picture of each page.
Developer Response ,
Hello, dear user! Thank you for taking time to share your opinion with us :) Know that we strive that every customer will receive products and services that exceed their expectations, so there is an update with bug fixes. We hope you will enjoy using our app. Thank you for being with us! Sincerely yours, ABBYY Mobile Team
- ABBYY USA Software House Inc
- 136.9 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2016, ABBYY Production LLC. Multipage Scanner & OCR. Scan books on the go.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.