Old Man's Journey
By Broken Rules
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
*** Apple Design Award 2017 ***
A story game about life’s precious moments, broken dreams, and changed plans.
"A gorgeous experience" - TouchArcade (10/10)
"An absolute joy to look at and play" - The Guardian
"A whimsical poem" - Polygon - (8/10)
Immerse yourself in a visual narrative as you uncover stories of the old man’s life told through beautiful vignettes of his memories. Interact with the serene, whimsical environment as you solve playful puzzles and shape the landscape around you, growing the hills to create the old man’s path forward.
Explore life’s complexities through the old man’s eyes as you experience his heartache, regret, and hope.
- Designed for touch
- A powerful and emotional narrative told only through imagery
- Gorgeously whimsical landscapes with hand-drawn art and animations
- Handcrafted, pressure-free puzzles
- Unique landscape-shaping mechanic
- A compact game experience perfect for a wanderlust-evoking escape
- Original and emotionally compelling soundtrack by SCNTFC
- Crisp drawings designed to look beautiful on your iPhone and iPad
What's New in Version 1.5
- All our levels now work on the gorgeous screen of the iPhone X
- Minor improvements and various bug fixes
A touching interactive experience
More than anything else, this is a story. There are game-like elements related to controlling the old man’s navigation as he winds his way along a memory-laden path, and those elements are quite novel. They are not explained in-game, nor are they particularly difficult, so if you are looking for a challenge, or for the game-aspect to make in-game sense, this is the wrong app for you. But taken as a fun diversion while exploring the old man’s memories, the resulting experience is quite touching. It only takes about an hour to complete the game, but I am happy to have played it.
Good but Short Story
‘Old Man’s Journey’ is a decent app (I wouldn’t really call it a game so much as an interactive story?), but I really don’t know why it received an Apple Design Award (particularly considering it had barely released when it received one). It’s insanely short and offers essentially no replay value. That said, it is beautifully rendered, and is way better than the freemium games that plague the App Store.
Short and simple but well executed
Beautiful game, which is why I bought it. However, it is a bit simplistic and way too short. I understand the pricing being $5 but I feel like they put all of their money into the graphics.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Nov 01, 2017
- Version: 1.5
- Size: 1.86 GB
- Language: English
- Seller: Broken Rules Interactive Media GmbH
- © 2017 Broken Rules Interactive Media GmbH
Compatibility: Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.