Coffee-break rogue-like themed after Japanese folklore tales.
Your phone gets the ability to summon and trap yōkai - numerous spirits that have been living hidden among us (until now). Admire them and give them witty nicknames and then put them in the brutal ever-changing dungeon to try and summon even more yōkai! Spooky cute graphics and powders made from various body parts included.
- Traditional roguelike with touch controls in mind
- Spooky cute pixel-art graphics
- Huge variety of playable characters
- Fancy "ō" letter that destroys our SEO (Yodanji and yokai, anyone?)
* Comparing with other KEMCO RPGs, Yōdanji has a much steeper learning curve and is more difficult in general. Don't be deterred, though! "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it", or so they say. And if you are unfamiliar with roguelikes, getting good in Yōdanji can open up a whole new world of games!
* Japanese text updates
* Hotfixes for issues caused by the previous update
* Controller and keyboard support (first pass)
* Updated dpad graphics
* Gentle Grass and Spiky Shrubs grow and wither in accordance with Game Of Life rules, except the ones that are adjacent to or directly under Kodama - those always live
* New rooms
* Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
A Fun, Charming (but Difficult!) Roguelike
Every once in a while, I feel the old itch for Nethack or Dungeon Crawl. Unfortunately, nowadays I have much less time & energy to spend on such games... which makes a smaller and more portable (but no less difficult or charming) game like this absolutely perfect. Admittedly, my prior experience probably made it easier for me to pick up, but I still feel like this game explains itself very well. The controls are smooth, the mechanics intuitive, and the yokai theme and cute graphics are both very fun to look at.
My only complaint is actually the difficulty -- so far, I've had half my attempts end in starvation, UNLESS I'm lucky enough to find a Wood Omamori early. Perhaps I just need to fine-tune my strategy more, but it still feels like my run's success hinges on getting this random item. (I mean, not that I don't still die even with one, but at least it's not to "well I straight up haven't found enough food anywhere, time to lose HP every turn with no options to fix that before I perish.") It feels a bit imbalanced and frustrating, especially when the enemies are often difficult enough on their own!
Still, this is a really easy game to pick up and play during lunch breaks, as advertised, and I consider it to be $3 very well spent. Thanks, Kemco!
Phenomenal roguelike/dungeon crawler
This game offers a wealth of unique and interesting mechanics that differentiate it from other games of similar genres. I will note that it is very difficult, but that is a plus imo.
The UI is actually really nice, the tutorial is helpful in learning said UI, and the game has a unique atmosphere among the genre that I truly appreciate. I’ve played countless mobile roguelikes and this is unquestionably one of my favorites.
Overall Good Time Killer!
UPDATE: The developer's read this review and in their next patch fixed the control issues I listed! The fact they listen to player concerns and updated their app accordingly reinforces what I said about them being developers worthy of support and recognition. Buy this game!
If you're looking for a game that strikes the perfect balance between depth and accessibility, this app is an excellent choice. The writing is humorous, the characters are diverse, and the difficulty (though punishing at times) is just right for dungeon crawler fans. This game is best suited to short bursts, whether waiting for a friend or passing time on car ride. The art suits the style of game nicely, though you'll definitely want to mute the ingame music and play something else.
Unfortunately, the controls (specifically the D-Pad) make it easy to make mistakes and press things you didn't want to press, specifically the "wait" button. If the developers could include an option to place it somewhere else on the screen or at least make it smaller, that'd be much appreciated.
I would give it 4 stars for the stale music and controls frustration, but the amount of heart that went into this game makes it a 5. You can tell the developers wanted to make an enjoyable game pleasing to their players. If you want to support respectable indie developers, buy this game!
- Kotobuki Solution Co., Ltd.
- 103.6 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- © 2017 KEMCO
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.