Introducing Artstudio Pro, the most powerful painting and photo editing app available for both iOS and macOS. The successor to our famous ArtStudio app has been redesigned bringing many new features and improvements taking full advantage of the latest technologies Metal, iCloud Drive, Apple Pencil, and optimized for 64-bit multi-core processors to achieve the smoothest possible workflow.
Hundreds of assets are included and users have the ability to import resources in the most popular formats (ABR, TPL, PAT, GRD, ASE, ACO) giving instant access to millions of brushes, patterns, gradients, color swatches and fonts. It will boost your creativity and help you bring your ideas to life quickly and easily.
The powerful GPU accelerated ArtEngine developed by Lucky Clan is 5-10 times faster than the previous engine. It allows working with multiple documents, supports large canvas sizes and an unlimited number of layers. Incredible optimization ensures smooth work even with large canvases.
• Multiple open documents
• Canvas size: 64Mpix (iPad Air 2 or newer, iPhone 6s or newer), 48Mpix (older devices)
• Unlimited layers
• 27 tools: Move, Select, Crop, Eyedropper, Paint, Wet Paint, Eraser, Bucket/Pattern/Gradient Fill, Smudge, Dodge, Burn, Sponge, Text, Heal, Clone, and more
Flexible layer system
Artstudio Pro introduces a new layer system with grouping, non-destructive layer effects, and adjustment layers.
• Masks, clipping masks
• Adjustment Layers
• 9 layer effects: Bevel/Emboss, Stroke, Inner Shadow, Inner Glow, Outer Glow, Color/Gradient/Pattern Overlay, Drop Shadow
• 27 blending modes
• Text layers
• Transform multiple layers simultaneously
Advanced Brush engine
Perfectly optimized, lag free mechanism generating smooth, real looking strokes, making the most of Apple Pencil.
• Brush size up to 4000x4000
• 64-bit painting with pattern, double stamp, wet brush, dynamics
• Brush editor with 80 customizable settings
• Over 100 built-in brushes divided into a few groups: Painting, Sketching, Markers, Inking, Dots & Specks, and more
• Symmetric painting
Professional photo editor
Photo editing options developed in cooperation with professional photographers. Each feature was tested in several scenarios and light conditions.
• 15 adjustments available as non-destructive layer or simple adjustment: Brightness/Contrast, Levels, Curves, Exposure/Gamma, Shadows/Highlights, Vibrance, Hue/Saturation, Color Balance, Temperature/Tint, Black and White, Gradient Map and more
• 4 auto adjustments: Auto Contrast, Levels, Lightness, Saturation
• Dozens of filters with realtime preview and the ability to generate seamless patterns
• Inpaint, Elastify (Liquify)
• Retouching tools: Heal, Dodge, Burn, Sponge and more
• Image resize, Canvas resize
• Crop using special tool, crop from selection, trim transparent areas
Full iCloud integration
• Save and load images on iCloud Drive or local disk
• View, load, share, delete, move documents in internal gallery or iOS Files app
• Sort documents into folders
We have implemented many parsers from the most popular assets/images formats and we are especially proud of our ABR/TPL parser which not only reads brush stamps and patterns, but also most settings which are converted to Artstudio Pro brush engine values.
• Images - PNG, JPEG, PSD, HEIC, TIFF, GIF, most raw formats
• Brushes - ABR, TPL
• Color swatches - ASE, ACO
• Patterns - PAT
• Gradients - GRD
• Fonts - TTF, OTF
• Images - PNG, JPEG, PSD, TIFF, PDF
• Screen recording
• Customisable Quick menu
• Selection displayed as marching ants, quick mask or invisible
• Snapping to guidelines, dynamic guidelines, grid
• Perspective grid assist
• Mirror (flipped) view
• Support of iPad Drag and Drop, Split View, Sharing Extension, Open In, Clipboard
• Support of Wacom, Adonit and SonarPen styluses
Minimum System Requirements
Artstudio Pro for iOS requires iPhone or iPad running iOS 10 or above
- fixed problem with some shortcuts on iPad with keyboard
- few other minor bug fixes and stability improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Long Time User, Missing Some Features from ArtStudio
I have been using ArtStudio since the first version on the iPad 1 and I do all my digital art on it. It’s a great app to have when you’re on the go and still want to work on art. ArtStudio Pro introduces a lot of good features, like customizable color palettes, rotating the canvas, and a much nicer Lasso tool. The Apple Pencil works great with it, especially the Taper brush.
Being that this is an app I swear by and recommend to everyone, I do have only two main complaints.
In the original ArtStudio it was possible to make custom brushes. I used this to make grass, flower, and tree brushes that were VERY handy. ArtStudio Pro does not seem to offer the ability to make custom brushes, and I’ve had to hold off from doing landscapes unless I want to draw everything from scratch.
Secondly, resizing the canvas was much easier before, as you could choose the dimensions and then crop your art with a square that would encompass the area you wanted to keep. In ArtStudio Pro, there is no preview of the resized canvas, so it’s all guesswork on what dimensions to use and where to crop.
I paid more money for this so it doesn’t make sense it’d be missing things the old app got right. I will probably be using this app til the end of my days, so hopefully they can add these features in newer updates to make things a bit easier for those of us who enjoyed the other app too!
Developer Response ,
To create custom brush in Artstudio Pro first prepare black shape on white background, then tap File>Add Preset>Add Brush
Canvas resizing - we will improve that soon
Needs some work
To start off, let me say that I LOVE ArtStudio and Luckyclan. The original ArtStudio has allowed me to create my best visual art since I was in eighth grade, up until now— I’m in 11th grade.
This is a very sleek app, and clearly a lot of thought has gone into its development as well as time and energy. However, it is very tiring and almost frustrating to use it from what I have seen so far, with a lot of features it doesn’t need and a lot of unnecessary steps to do things a single command would do. It seems TOO responsive and very sensitive at times, especially to rotation and zooming, and the transform option is not very responsive. The UI and the way the brushes functioned in the old app, as well as the delay/lack thereof on certain things in the old app was what made it attractive to me as a learning artist, and it still is! The complication of the new app is what makes it so hard to use, as for a person like me, a user-friendly setup is COMPLETELY required. Its interface is nice, however it is NOT user friendly. Too complicated with too many hidden features, and it’s so... I don’t know, flat? Like. It’s not fun to use due to the look of it.
I however am staying positive and looking forward to future updates and will continue to try to learn the app. I’m not giving up just yet! But my main art app for now— as art is how I make money— will have to be ArtStudio for iPad. Thank you!
So, before i bought this, i was on the fence to buy this app or not because i already bought procreate, and tried other drawing apps (such as medibang, csp and a couple more) and I liked procreate best. HOWEVER— I found out this app through a twitter post a weekish ago. Art Studio Pro supports kyle webster + your custom photoshop brushes, elastify/liquify, CROPS, has screen recording (duh), unlimited layers, the ability to change the image + canvas size AFTER you created the file, and it has CLIPPING MASKS. These are only some of the features I mentioned, but Art Studio Pro is far, far ahead of procreate in terms of customizing and editing... It is a smaller version of photoshop, and it is freaking AMAZING. Procreate? Well, let’s just say procreate is “dead” to me now... All I use is Art Studio Pro, and it’s really all you need...and it’s only a couple more $$?! Like dang....... I’ve also been telling/yelling everyone to try out this app on instagram, (If you want to see some of my work done on ASP, i’m soyeyoh on insta) because although it’s not advertised as well as procreate, its functions, I think are superior than procreate...again, IMO.
Anyways, thank you art studio pro... you’re doing god’s work 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.