Scythe iOS app is designed for iPad. It has a powerful synthesis engine and makes it easy to create and discover sound designed.
The wavetable creator enables the creation and editing of wavetables and is integrated directly into the system to preview your creations with the current session status. You can override the oscillators to see how your creation mixes with your session's sound.
The controls have been minimized to allow a simple workflow with the same complex modulation that you might be used to. If you are new to modulation, Scythe app for iOS makes it simple with drag and drop, from source to oscillator control.
Now with CoreMIDI and Audiobus Midi input and Inter-App-Audio, Scythe synth can be integrated into your studio or workflow.
Scythe synthesizer iOS app comes with presets and library wavetables for quickly hearing some of its possibilities.
AudioShare allows importing and exporting audio with Scythe synthesis iOS app easily.
Generate custom wavetables by importing your sounds using AudioShare or iTunes file sharing, record using IAA out or directly in Scythe synthesizer app and export using Audioshare or iOS sharing options.
Please note for best wavetable generation results, sounds with low frequency content or enough spectral content is required.
Top Features of Scythe iOS app:
- High quality wavetable synthesis
- Wavetable creator
- Filter Delay effect
- Modulation control of all oscillator parameters
- Easy to learn user interface
- MIDI input - CoreMIDI & Audiobus 3
- AudioShare support for importing and exporting
- Global tempo control for syncing LFOs to note duration
- Easily record, playback and export audio
- Library wavetables and presets
- Max waves = 128 = 8 voices * 2 oscillators * 8 unison
Full feature set:
- 2 Wavetable oscillators with full modulation control
- Generate wavetables with audio files imported with AudioShare
- Generate wavetables with audio files loaded from iTunes file sharing
- Load library wavetables
- Save wavetables
- Unison of up to 8 waves per oscillator
- Global tempo control in top bar
- 2 Envelope generators with controllable ADSR graph
- 3 LFOs with 8 wave modes, Note duration sync, lfo wave amplitude, 3 run modes
- Global modulation matrix control
- Modulation override
- Audiobus 3 MIDI
- Currently max voices is 8
- Scrollable keyboard
- Hold mode
- Library presets
- Save your own presets
- Record audio
- Export audio using AudioShare
- export audio using iOS export options, e.g. Dropbox
- Hardware capabilities will impact max number of waves. If your device CPU cannot synthesize the max number of waves, either adjust the unison value/modulation or reduce the number of simultaneous keys pressed
- Modulation is initially enabled by dragging the modulation link icons onto the control to be modulated.
- Hold mode is enabled/disabled by pressing the control in the keyboard scroll section
Follow Scythe app on Twitter:
Over 50 new presets and 100 new wavetables added to the Factory content.
Ratings and Reviews
This is one of my fav synths. The UI of any app is very important, and the UI of this synth is one of the best I’ve seen. Color coded controls so that when you apply LFO1 to something, it will turn that color. Might not seem important, but it really is, improves experience by far vs some other synths that have no indication of what’s controlling what. On/off buttons for the envelopes and LFOs and each item inside the matrix. 💕
The most important thing about any synth is the actual sound quality - which is great here. You can do all kinds of crazy sounds or more smooth ones, depending on the audio you drop on it. Just load up a sound file and use the controls to play with it. There’s no overwhelming amount of features - 2 filters and 3 LFOs that can control every knob, but the sounds you get out of this synth are very usable in a track. Just about anything I drop on this seems to give me pleasant results, and very different too. Glad I discovered this one. AUv3 would make it perfect, but at this price you just can’t go wrong! There are a lot of synths out there but the only non-AU ones that I would buy again are this one and Nave.
Edit: the knobs are fixed, and they operate smoothly now. Thanks! Pops are fixed too. And waves are playable directly.
Developer Response ,
Hello. The pops are now fixed when releasing a note on certain wavetables and the wavetable creator has a preview mode, integrating directly into your current session.
Grrat synth, great developer
I like this synth a lot. Sounding great and modulation is easy to understand. It didn't take me long to build some cool sounds from scratch and modulate the controls. I also really like the user interface which is pretty user friendly imo.
The IAP for thr waveform editor is very cool too i think. Fantastic way to experiment with finger drawn waveforms or combine them with other shapes. Highly recommended app and IAP if you are into crazy and experimental synth sounds or soundscapes.
This app deserves the full five stars also because of the developer which has been very fast with adding requesting features in the past and also fixing recently reported bugs. Top class support for an awesome synth.
A great little wavetable app!
Really, this is a fantastic app that does exactly what’s promised of it. I have a few suggestions, though:
- it would be super helpful to have the option to remove a single modulation in the modulation matrix without having to remove all of them. (I know you can turn it off/on, but I’d personally like the option to just remove it.)
- maybe this is a bit of a pipe-dream, but I’d really like to see some sort of transform tool in the waveform creator that would allow gradual transformation from one waveform to another (example: being able to create a waveform that starts with a square wave and slowly morphs into a saw wave).
But that’s really it; this a fun app, and I can’t wait to use it for my own music!
In-App PurchasesSee All
- Bitmask Studio Ltd
- 438.2 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Bitmask Studio Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Tones Pack $0.99
- Wavetable Creator $2.99
- Filter Delay $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.