Xequence is a highly professional, fast & stable MIDI sequencer, arranger & controller for iPhone & iPad.
NOTE: This app is intended for use by enthusiasts & professionals. It does not make any sound / music by itself!
- Efficient User Interface for an amazing mobile editing workflow
- Full support for scales and scale-based editing throughout the app (keyboard, pianoroll, etc.)
- Over 70 scales in 10 categories included
- Full Audiobus support
- Ableton Link (tempo and phase only - use Audiobus for start/stop sync)
- MIDI File Import & Export (notes, controllers, program changes, track names, etc.)
- Best-in-class MIDI timing and clock output
- MIDI In & Thru with rechannelization & rerouting to current track
- MIDI Sync Master (Clock/Start/Stop/Continue/SPP) - other DAWs & sequencers can run in sync with Xequence, e.g. to use audio tracks, or external drum machines. Several modes for full compatibility
- Works perfectly with e.g. AUM / Gadget as hosts / sound generators, drum sequencers like Ruismaker, or BM2 for synced audio tracks
- Unlimited Parts
- Up to 4 tracks (Unlimited Tracks via In-App Purchase)
- 64 Undo/Redo steps
- Per-track non-destructive Swing & Delay +/- 200 ms
- Multiple tracks per instrument
- Parts can be independent or linked (editing the original modifies all copies)
- Part-based looping
- Program changes
- Selection tools: Marquee/Rectangle, Same Track, Same Instrument, Linked Parts, Invert, etc.
- Editing tools: Create Copy, Create Linked Copy, Unlink, Split, Join, Convert loops to parts, etc.
- All edits can be performed across multiple tracks and parts
- Global clipboard, even across projects
- Position/Length Handles at screen edges for efficient editing
- 256 Undo/Redo steps
- Fully scale-aware
- Relative or absolute grid: Snap Events to nearest grid line, or move by grid increments
- Live Auditioning of all note edits and mini keyboard on the left
- Selection tools: Box, Same Note, Same Key, Same Beat Position, Invert, etc.
- Editing tools: Copy, Legato, Quantize, Quantize Ends, Octave +/-, Flip H/V (mirror), Fill part with selection
- Smart Draw mode: Touch to create, touch again to delete, drag up/down to transpose, drag left/right to change length
- Global clipboard, even across projects
- Note velocities can be edited just like controllers, see below:
- 256 Undo/Redo steps
- Selection tools: Box, Same Beat Position, Invert
- Selection modes: Add & Replace
- Editing tools: Copy, Reduce, Quantize, Compress/Expand, Flip H/V (mirror), Ramp (various curves), Fill part with selection
- Smart Draw mode
- Note Velocities can be shown as controllers and edited with the same tools
KEYBOARD / CONTROLLER:
- Fully scale-aware, very playable single or dual keyboards
- Glide support
- Freely adjustable key width
- Velocity emulation (via vertical position on key)
- Drum maps and pads, highly customizable (In-App Purchase)
- CCs (controllers) can be shown as touch ribbons next to the keyboard
- All CCs can be controlled by sliding (ribbon), device rotation (up to three axes simultaneously), played like a button (sustain pedal, "trance gates"), or by touching the keys at different vertical positions. All highly configurable.
- Unlimited Instruments (an Instrument is a MIDI destination & channel)
- 3 definable CCs (Controllers) per Instrument (up to 12 via In-App Purchase)
- Compatible with virtually ALL synths and hosts
- Audio & MIDI Metronome
- Note chasing (notes play even when playback starts in the middle)
- Robust controller (CC) handling with backchasing
- Perfect song looping, no dropouts/jitter at loop points
- Supports any time signature/BPM (fixed per song)
- Generative music with PolyHymnia (In-App Purchase)
- Files app support
- Ruler (can be set to auto-hide to preserve screen space)
- Bright or dark color scheme
Please report any issues via our website, we provide quick and comprehensive support!
- Potential fix for rare cases when Audiobus presets wouldn't be saved or restored correctly.
Ratings and Reviews
Probably the best pure MIDI sequencer on iOS
Xequence is a terrific MIDI sequencer and it’s only continued to improve over time. While the piano roll UI and note editing isn’t necessarily my favorite, all of the functionality is here, and it’s my preferred app for sequencing external gear. It has proven much less buggy than alternatives like Modstep, and many of the would-be competitors have fallen off to the side and become abandonware.
Some of the IAP’s and added features make it even more interesting - there’s a options to set up drum pads or different scales for particular sequences. And there’s a pattern generator (Polyhymnia, I believe it is called) that will generate random musical passages within parameters that you set (scale, note range, intensity, etc.). It works surprisingly well. It can be a little tricky to get everything mapped together and running, but all the functionality is there, and it’s an excellent MIDI sequencer.
At last!! A professional sequencer
At last!! A professional sequencer that supports the iPhone as well as the iPad!!!! This thing is awesome!!! It is a work of art!! Even with a small iPhone screen, it is easy to use. Everything is well laid out. Having worked with MIDI before, I didn’t even need to look in the manual!! Music beginners do note, however, this is a midi sequencer. It is a professional tool. You will also need a MIDI instrument in order to hear sound from it. I mention this, because I worry that newbies who don’t understand what they are buying will get frustrated or upset and give poor ratings because they don’t understand how midi sequencers work—this is the real thing—not a toy!! Very full featured!! This app is one of the best things to come along in a long time to the iOS music-making community. 5 Stars!!!
Audiobus brought our iOS instruments together, AUM gave us a place to mix and record them, and now Xequence could give us the sequencer to bring it all together.
Unfortunately, Audiobus implementation is more fiddly than most apps. The dev seems to be pretty big on prescribing best practices, with most of them leading back to using Audiobus as little as possible and Xequence as an instrument host. Here’s the thing though: I don’t want to have to go to Xequence’s settings pages to do things that are simple with every other Audiobus Midi app. If I have a keyboard app that I’d like to point at Xequence through AB3, that shouldn’t take 5 steps.
Really nice sequencer, though! The dev has made an editing interface for touch that is really nice to use and accurate, which is a feat of usability.
Thanks for your review! If you would like to discuss possible improvements to the Audiobus workflow, don't hesitate to contact us via our support page.
- Seven Systems Cross-Platform Media Limited
- 5.5 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 Seven Systems Cross-Platform Media Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Unlimited tracks $3.99
- Drum Maps $2.99
- Multitrack Recording $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.