Octal is a modern, full-featured Hacker News (news.ycombinator.com) client built with a focus on design, speed, and usability. Octal has all the features you'd expect from a Hacker News app, including the ability to sign in to your account, upvote, post comments, and more!
• Browse and share Hacker News stories.
• Read comments in a fully-threaded, collapsible comments view. Quickly jump to the next top-level comment thread with a single tap.
• Upvote stories and comments you like with a quick tap or left swipe.
• Sign in to your Hacker News account.
• Reply to stories and comments. Edit or delete your recently posted comments.
• Search for Top, Ask HN, and Show HN submissions. Sort search results by relevance or date.
• Sort stories by 'Top', 'Best', or 'New'. Filter stories by minimum score and/or minimum comment count.
• Browse user profiles, including their karma, bio, and posting activity.
• Enable 'Night Mode' for a beautiful, first-class dark theme. Try 'Auto Night Mode' to automatically toggle 'Night Mode' according to your screen's brightness.
• Turn on 'True Black' to use a pure RGB #000 background color for 'Night Mode'. Perfect for OLED displays like those on the iPhone X, Xs, and Xs Max.
• Open articles and links in Safari In-App, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Firefox Focus, DuckDuckGo, or Brave.. If selecting Safari In-App, optionally open links in 'Reader Mode'.
• 3D Touch stories to quickly preview articles or share them via peek quick action. 3D Touch comments to quickly reply or upvote.
• Pick from Full, Compact, and Minimal post layout sizes.
• Increase or decrease the text size to one that's comfortable for you, or enable 'Dynamic Type' to use the system's 'Larger Text' font size.
• Browse in either portrait or landscape orientation.
To unlock advanced features, including the ability to post comments, use Night Mode and change settings, you can purchase Octal Premium via an In-App Purchase. Premium never expires and has no recurring fees. Purchases support the development of Octal.
Hacker News is a social news website focusing on computer science and entrepreneurship. It is run by Paul Graham's investment fund and startup incubator, Y Combinator. In general, its content can be submitted is defined as "anything that gratifies one's intellectual curiosity".
Found a bug or have a feature request? Create an Issue on Github: https://github.com/dangwu/Octal/issues
Fixed a rare crash that occurred when loading the comments view.
Ratings and Reviews
Excellent app for reading hacker news. Runs smoothly with no IAP needed. Probably the best HN app I've been used. Thanks for your hard work on developing it.
P.S. If you lived in China mainland, you'd probably need some tools to bypass the notorious GFW. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
However this is the U.S. app store, not the Chinese one with the bullsh*t Guizhou Cloud Big Data which sells your personal data to 3rd parties. If this app can't get news for you, then developer is the least likely to be blamed. Posting a 1-star review definitely dose no help.
Developer Response ,
Could you please add the search feature?
Awesome product! Sometimes I would like to see comments on recent articles. It would be great to have search feature with sorting function by relevance or date which is included in MiniHack app (another Hacker News app which I used previously before Octal). Thanks.
Developer Response ,
Hello, I've added Search with an option to sort by Relevance or Date in the Settings since v2.9.0. Thank you for your suggestion!
Good HN App
This is the best HN reader I have found, and I’ve tried quite a few. I paid for full/premium, which allows you to post/comment and offers more customization options. I haven’t encountered any bugs and overall it’s a solid interface to one of my favorite sites for a reasonable price.
- Daniel Wu
- 13.2 MB
Requires iOS 11.4 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © 2019 Daniel Wu
- In-App Purchases
- Premium $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.