Face your fears systematically
Fear is an essential survival instinct that protects us from imminent dangers. But when it becomes excessive, persistent and starts interfering with our daily function, well being or quality of life it is time to nix it.
While there many options available to treat phobias, therapists often consider Systematic Desensitization, a form of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), as a first line of treatment. It is a form of exposure therapy where a person is encouraged to face the fear gradually in a controlled setting paired with coping skills (relaxation techniques) such as deep breathing or progressive muscle relaxation under a therapist’s guidance.
Fear Nix app provides a journaling interface to log your experiences of facing the fear gradually based on a fear ladder (hierarchy) in different exposure settings & coping skills. For example you could start with the imaginary setting, pair it with deep breathing, log how you feel and your fear response - fight, flight or freeze in the app.
Based on the data entered over a series of such exposures, Fear Nix app displays visually appealing statistics to analyze and find out what helps facing your fear. With Fear Nix app you can log & track multiple phobias, create your own strategies, hierarchies and coping skills - all neatly categorized in an elegant interface. You can also export the journal and the statistics in pdf format to share it with your therapist.
Fear Nix offers more:
- Passcode protection
- Backup / restore using iCloud sync
- 15 beautiful color themes
- 72 different fonts
- Preferred start day of week
- Daily or specific reminders
- Inspirational quotes
- Customized icon and colors for fear response
- Advanced search filters
- Work offline, no internet connection is required except during iCloud sync
How to use the app:
1. List your fears to nix
2. Select or create a strategy
2. Create a fear ladder - list of stimuli (triggers) from least most feared
3. Log your fear exposure details
4. Set daily or specific reminders to keep nixing your fears
5. Find out what helps you most to face your fear based on statistics
6. Strike your fears with streaks
7. Track your progress using charts
The app has below pre-defined strategies, settings and coping skills.
Strategies Listing: (you can create your own too):
- Gradual Exposure (Systematic Desensitization)
- Direct Exposure (Flooding)
- Imaginary: In mind, visualized
- Virtual: In Silico, simulated using a device
- Controlled: In Vitro, a test environment
- Real: In Vivo, an actual environment
- Augmented: In combination of the above
Coping Skills Listing: (you can create your own too)
- Deep Breathing
- Guided Imagery
- Mindfulness Meditation
- Physical Activity
- Social Support
Know that you are not alone. Below are some of the common phobias faced by many:
1. Aerophobia: Fear of flying
2. Acrophobia: Fear of heights
3. Arachnophobia: Fear of spiders
4. Agoraphobia: Fear of open or crowded spaces
5. Mysophobia: Fear of germs
6. Cynophobia: Fear of dogs
7. Claustrophobia: Fear of restricted small spaces
8. Trypophobia: Fear of holes
9. Trypanophobia: Fear of needles
10. Glossophobia: Fear of public speaking
Note: Fear Nix app is not intended to substitute or replace professional medical advice or treatment of your physician or therapist. If you have a medical condition or health concern you should always consult with a physician or other qualified health care professional.
New features added:
1. Weekly reminders with snooze options
2. Export all your app data as Text, Spreadsheet or PDF.
3. Option to delete all your app data in the iCloud and in the app
- Akilan Rajendran
- 12.2 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © Akilan Rajendran
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.