Join the thousands of people who use Universalis daily!
You will get:
• The Catholic liturgical calendar for every year (until the year 2300 and beyond!). Over 20 local calendars, including USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Ireland, India and Singapore, and most of the dioceses of the UK.
• The About Today page: information and meditations on the saints and feasts of the day.
• Lectio Divina: for meditating on the day's Gospel.
• Readings at Mass: the readings, psalms, prayers and antiphons for the day’s Mass. The Jerusalem Bible readings with Grail psalms (USA and Philippines: New American Bible).
• Mass Today: the Order of Mass and the prayers, readings and so on, all merged into one single sequence, so that you can follow Mass; or even celebrate it if you can find a discreet place to put the iPad on the altar.
• The Liturgy of the Hours: Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer, Night Prayer, the three daytime Hours, and the Office of Readings. The scripture readings are from the Jerusalem Bible (RSV is available as an in-app purchase) and the psalms are the Grail psalms.
• You can search for words and phrases in the readings and psalms, see their context and go to the date when they are used.
• You can set an alarm to remind you when it's time for each Hour. You can also set alarms for the Angelus.
• Music: you can listen to the Salve Regina at the end of Night Prayer, and an in-app purchase will give you the whole of Sung Compline in Latin from the Schola Cantorum of the London Oratory School.
• Speech: You can listen to the Angelus spoken in English or Latin. You can optionally subscribe to other spoken content, including the Gospel for each day's Mass; all of each day's Hours; and the three daytime Hours in Latin (a subscription renews itself automatically each month but you can cancel it at any time).
• You can have a second language for the Order of Mass, in parallel with English: Latin, French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, German, Polish, Malayalam or Yoruba.
• You can choose between turning pages like a book or scrolling like a web page. You can choose fonts and font sizes (including huge ones) and you can turn on a night mode for reading in the dark.
• If you are blind, turn on VoiceOver and press the Information button in the toolbar at the top of the screen to get full instructions.
• You can see the saint of the day in a widget on your Today screen.
• If you have an Apple Watch, you can see the week’s calendar and read the Mass readings.
Everything is permanently built in to the Universalis app. You do not need an Internet connection.
You can also set up an email service to send you selected pages automatically each day.
For full details of the translations used, visit www.universalis.com. If you want to see more before you decide to buy Universalis, download the free Catholic Calendar application. It gives you a month’s free trial of Universalis content.
If you choose to subscribe to the spoken Gospels at Mass for £1.99 / $1.99 / €2.49 per month or Morning+Evening or Daytime Prayer for £2.99 / $2.99 / €3.49 per month (prices in other countries will vary), payment for a month's subscription will be charged to your iTunes account immediately. Subsequent monthly renewals will be charged within 24 hours before expiry of the current period. You can turn auto-renewal off at any time. If you turn auto-renewal off in the middle of a period, you will not get a refund but you will receive the benefit of the entire period and your subscription will then stop.
Illustrations have been added for the first part of May.
Commentaries on the readings at Mass are now available. To see them, turn on “Add Commentaries” in the Readings at Mass section of the Settings screen.
Ratings and Reviews
Including the option to use the New American Bible for the Liturgy Of The Hours is mandatory
The app has been awesomely created and in presentation it looks qualitatlively superior to all the other free apps I‘ve run into so far for the Liturgy Of The Hours. I live in the US and have recently started to lead a prayer group in my workplace, and here comes the big problem: fellows familiar with the Office and owners of physical breviaries or users of free apps follow the New American Bible translation. And of course I cannot force people to spend money in an app just because I as the leader just feel comfortable using the Universalis app and hence following a Bible translation that nobody else follows in my group... So I guess in the meantime I‘m gonna start using another app like iBreviary, which is great and uses the NAB translation but is not that flexible and rich as Universalis. That until hopefully the Universdalis developers incorporate the NAB option as it‘s the case for the Readings at Mass. I don‘t regret having spent 11 bucks for the app though; like I said, it‘s been a great tool but for the moment just for personal prayer here in the US, maybe not for group prayers with American fellows.
I love this app. It has almost everything I can think of to make it possible to follow Mass, to pray, to read.... The things I would love to have are: access to the continued readings when using the proper readings of the saint of the day or the optional readings for a common Mass (this is what is done where I go to Mass) also to have drop down menus to choose from a selection of proper readings instead of having to scroll through all the options (e.g. all the possible readings for Our Lady on Saturday) to get to the ones chosen by the priest, and to be able to select from votive Masses (e.g. votive of the Eucharist is said a lot on Thursdays where I go to Mass). I love reading about all those venerable English martyrs... great examples for us today. Thanks, Universalis!
An excellent ministry
As clergy, one of our commitments is to pray the office. This application provides us with the text and audio, in English and in Latin (the Latin voice for some of the hours), such that I can close my eyes transport myself, along with the brethren praying all around the world, into a mystical union. It’s absolutely beautiful rendition with a clear voice that is peaceful, well paced and understandable. Note that the English version is a bit different than used in the USA, the Latin is provided which is purely consistent the world over. God’s Blessings!!!
- Universalis Publishing Limited
- 65 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 1996-2018 Universalis Publishing Limited
- In-App Purchases
- All Hours $2.99
- Daily Gospel $1.99
- Daytime Hours $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.