By Nevyn Bengtsson
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Overload is an abstract turn-based one- or two-player strategy game for the iPhone and iPod Touch; you can play against either a friend on the same iPhone, or alone against the iPhone's AI. The goal of the game is to conquer the game board and cover it with your color. To achieve this, you charge neutral tiles and tiles in your color by tapping on them.
Once a tile is fully charged (or actually overloaded!) it will explode, leaking its energy onto the ajacent tiles (and thus conquering these tiles even if they belonged to the enemy!). Watch mighty chain reactions as you set of an explosion across the entire game board.
Watch the game in motion:
- http://tr.im/overload2 (v0.3b)
- http://tr.im/overload1 (v0.1)
What's New in Version 0.3
Major and gameplay changes:
- New, beautiful high resolution icons by Rodger Bridges!
- The game is now faster (the rendering engine was rewritten with OpenGL)
- Variable board size - play on everything from a 2x2 to a 10x12 board.
- The AI was upgraded in 0.2.1, but this wasn't mentioned in the change log.
- Squares that are about to explode vibrate
- If the game is over, and the board size is changed, the game is restarted
- Shuffle now also restarts the game (so you can choose whether to play against AI)
- The tile under the finger is highlighted
- The biggest performance bottleneck right now is the sound engine. It'll be rewritten for a future release, but for a smoother experience right away, turn sound off in the settings.
Worthless app: Doesn't work, and has annoying popups
Not only does playing against the AI not work, but this game is riddled with annoying popups begging for permission to use your data. When you decline, more annoying popups asking if you're sure and bothering you even more. Then you back out of the app to delete it but what's waiting for you except another request, this time to use your location data. Wow. The dev needs to quit making douchey apps that don't even work. Literally the worst app I have ever downloaded.
Fun strategy game
I like this game a lot, simple to pick up but I'm still learning the strategy. Definitely recommended.
This app could be a good idea but it really needs improvements. You can't play against the AI only 2 players and it really needs some sort of instruction to go along with the game.