By Sandro Stricker
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
PLAY WHAT THE ROMANS PLAYED, on your iPhone/iPod Touch.
It is the year 20 BC. Emperor Augustus has brought peace to a young Roman Empire. Two friends sit upon the steps outside the amphitheatre, locked in concentration over a stone board upon which glass pieces have been placed, trying to gain an advantage over one another. They’re playing Ludas Latrunculorum, a game already hundreds of years old, which enjoys a high level of popularity within the Empire.
Now you can play what the Romans played on your iPhone/iPod Touch. Using the latest in Artificial Intelligence, we’ve recreated this ancient game for your enjoyment.
* The initial board configuration is automatically set-up by the computer.
* Black moves first.
* Players alternate turns during which a single piece of the player's own colour is moved.
* Pieces may move horizontally or vertically any number of spaces (like Chess rooks).
* A single stone is captured if it is surrounded on two opposite sides by pieces of the opposing colour.
* The outside walls cannot be used to capture pieces.
* A stone in the corner is captured by two stones of the opposing colour placed across the corner.
* Multiple stones can be captured along a line.
* If a player moves into position to capture a line of several opposing pieces which includes the Dux, the Dux is not taken but the other pieces are.
* The Dux cannot be captured, but can be immobilized by being surrounded on all four sides.
* The first player to immobilize the enemy Dux wins.
* The Dux is immobilized if it is blocked by an enemy stone such that it has no place left to move.
* If the game stalemates, the player with the most captured enemy stones wins.
* The game ends when 30 moves are made without a capture, with the player with the most pieces remaining on the board declared the winner.
What's New in Version 2.0.2
* fixed problems with OS version 3.0
Please update just crashes on 4s
I love this game as I have purchased it 2 or more years a go I miss playing it since I got my iPhone 4s the app doesn't work. I have reinstalled the app many times to no avail otherwise a fantastic app just missing 2 players (not internet player!). Please fix it will change to five stars your app is the only one of its kind again please fix it thanks!
So, I wanted to play the game because it's old and Roman. The free version promised more levels of difficulty with the paid version. That's great! I'll pay $2 to support app devs.
But I can't change any settings without the app crashing. And when I win or lose, it just crashes.
Oh well. I guess that's what I get for not reading the reviews.
DO NOT BUY!!!
This app hasn't been updated in five years (as of 2014). I bought it on my new iPhone 6+ and it crashes if you try to change settings. It lets you play, but if you win or lose, it gets stuck trying to end to game. You have to completely stop the app and restart it to play again.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Jul 03, 2009
- Version: 2.0.2
- Size: 2.3 MB
- Languages: English, German
- Seller: Sandro Stricker
- © 2008 Sandro Stricker
Compatibility: Requires iOS 2.2.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.