SimpleMind for iPhone (mind mapping)
By xpt Software & Consulting B.V.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Mind mapping tool that turns your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch into a brainstorming, idea collection and thought structuring device.
• Easy to use - drag, arrange and edit topics on the Mind Map page.
• Tap or drag Node Well to add new Topics.
• Cross Links - use Node Well to add Cross Links between any two topics.
• Undo/Redo in the editor - full Undo capabilities make editing and experimenting easy.
• Reconnect topics using drag drop, aided by topic auto-layout.
• Word wrap tool allows easy adjusting of topic width.
• Cut, Copy, Paste - move or duplicate topics between Mind Maps.
• Apply visual styles - change colors, borders and lines for maximum presentation impact.
• Pick colors from style color palette or choose custom colors.
• Insert Images or Photos in topics.
• Assign Stock Icons or User defined Icons to topics.
• Hyperlink topics to other Mind Maps for easy navigation between (sub) Maps.
• Add links to web pages.
• Collapse/Expand (Hide/Show) branches to maintain overview in large Mind Maps.
• Re-layout branches for selected topic.
• Auto numbering - inside or below topic.
• Multiple Maps on single page.
• Create new (linked) MindMap from selection.
• Large Mind Map support - unlimited page size.
• Search in Mind Maps on Title or Topics.
• Organize your Mind Maps in Folders.
• Universal version: user interfaces natively designed for iPad and iPhone/iPod.
Sync your Mind Maps:
• Store your mind maps in the cloud and synchronize them between devices via Dropbox.
• Exchange your Mind Maps with SimpleMind Desktop for OS X/Windows.
Share your Ideas:
• Air Print Mind Maps.
• Email your Mind Map via standard Mail app - attach in PDF document, PNG image, Html outline, Text outline, and/or Freemind/opml formats.
• Export to Dropbox in PDF, PNG, Html outline, Text outline, freemind or opml format.
• Share Mind Maps as JPEG image via the Camera Roll.
• SimpleMind Desktop is available from the AppStore - http://www.simpleapps.eu/simplemind/desktop
What's New in Version 1.8.3
Implemented iOS7 styling.
Full screen Presentation Mode.
Support for custom icons.
Additional layout options for strict horizontal and vertical layout.
Images in Mind Map show a button that will open a larger preview window.
New topics get a checkbox if the parent topic contains a checkbox.
A relation can be selected and deleted without also deleting associated topics.
Deprecated Save to Web functionality now removed.
The out-of-date editor help has been removed in favor of online help.
Minor bug fixes.
Great overall, but could use a bit of bug-fixing.
The first week I started using this program, I was raving about it. Intuitive, clean interface that doesn't get in the way. Multi-platform support. Beautiful output. this program not only works like a mind-mapping program should -allowing you to brainstorm, plan, teach, present, whatever-it also has underlying support for context mapping.
So, what's not to like? Here are a few gripes that come to mind: (1) I created several mind maps on the PC version of this program, and did a bit of custom tweaking to some of the font sizes, etc. I then looked at some of these maps (via DropBox) on my iPad (or maybe iPhone). Great. No problem. Then when I went back later to do more editing on my PC, I noted that the formatting/sizing had gotten all screwed up and everything was somewhat jammed together. Whups. A definite annoyance-the cross-platform compatibility appears not to be as robust as one might hope. (2) node sizing is slightly off sometimes- the edges of the text can stick out beyond the borders just enough to irritate. (3) The app tries to sell me the desktop version now and then. Ok, whatever, but... I *own* the desktop version. So... Cease! Desist! Similarly, I've already written a review. So...stop bugging me to do it! Cease! Desist!
All in all, highly recommended, but I do hope the development team cleans up these few persnickety details.
Update: Still Very Smooth, No Glitches, Loads Fast
After spending 2 weeks with 5 or 6 mind mapping apps (with and without corresponding software for my desktop Mac), SimpleMind comes out on top. On my iPhone and iPad, it works perfectly, and is equally easy to use on my desktop Mac. I would like to be able to pick colors a bit more (like iMindMap), but then I would have to put up with the odd glitches in iMindMap. The use of DropBox to communicate the maps to and from the iOS devices is a blessing (unlike spending lots of money for a “special” service.) SimpleMind works, and the UI is clear enough that I was making useful mind maps before I learned most of the features.
STILL powerful, yet simple mind-mapping
Update: SimpleMind is still marvelous. With the ability to link to docs and URLs, SimpleMind is fitting seamlessly into my current workflow.
I've had no problems with SimpleMind at all; that extends into the User eXperience where I've _not_ had to slow down my brainstorming in order to think about how to use the app. It just functions simply and as I would expect. I use SimpleMind regularly in meetings, on flights, in the coffeeshop, etc. anywhere I need to quickly chart out some thoughts without having to pull out a laptop.
The fact that SimpleMind does what it's supposed to quietly and effectively gets my stamp of approval, all the other features (sync to desktop, color schemes, export as image, etc.) are just extra gravy.
This app is worth every penny.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: May 27, 2014
- Version: 1.8.3
- Size: 7.0 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish
- Seller: xpt Software & Consulting B.V.
- © 2009-2014 SimpleApps
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.