By Tord Romstad
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Strong free chess program.
* Free, but much stronger than most commercial iPhone chess apps!
* Plays aggressive and dynamic chess, and is not afraid of sacrificing material for initiative or attacking chances.
* Adjustable playing strength.
* Choose between several styles of play: "Passive", "Solid", "Active", "Aggressive" or "Suicidal".
* Big, deep and varied opening book. Choose between three levels of book variety.
* Displays book moves and engine analysis, including search depth, evaluations and main lines.
* Allows you to easily set up board positions.
* Able to think during the opponent's time, for maximum playing strength (disabled by default, in order to save battery life).
* Supports saving and loading games to PGN files, sending games by e-mail, and transferring PGN files between your device and your computer.
* Play against the machine, or play both sides, with or without book moves and engine analysis displayed on the screen.
* Choose from nine piece sets and eight color schemes.
* Complete source code available under the GNU General Public License.
What's New in Version 2.13.0
Fixed a bug that caused the target area for the toolbar buttons to be shifted a few pixels up, making it difficult for some users to hit the buttons reliably.
Fixed broken move lists (not the one below the board, but the one that appears after tapping "Move" and "Move List" -- does anybody use this one?) on the new larger iPhones.
Add Variations and Annotations
I have just about every chess app paid and free in the App Store and this is by far my favorite, and it is free! For me, an 1800, player this app is able to do 90% of everything I would want. Playing strength and opening book are amazing but it would be nice to enter variations without the entire game being overwritten. Also, I would like the option to write annotations in when going over my games. Adding those two features would turn this great app into an amazing app. Any chess tournament player should have this app it is very useful and by far the best chess app in the App Store.
p.s. I use this app every day and I have never had any bug problems (on iPad).
Great app. Please add variations capability and additional move evals
My favorite chess app. As another reviewer mentioned, it would be great to be able to add variations and annotations. It would make this app a great choice for analyzing one's games and then storing that analysis. Having the option to view the engine's second and third choices would also be useful (though not as much as adding the variation capability.)
This used to be a 5 star game but since I upgraded the app, the wheel that was on the earlier version that you could use to set a lower play level has disappeared. Since I can never beat any level available now, It has become a useless app. I use to set a level that I could only win about one in five games, but now I can never win a single game. So, what is the point?
- Category: Games
- Updated: Oct 29, 2014
- Version: 2.13.0
- Size: 17.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Tord Romstad
- © 2009-2014 Tord Romstad, Marco Costalba, Joona Kiiski
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.