DianHua Audio Dictionary is a Chinese English Dictionary and Study Tool for iOS including audio pronunciation of all words and phrases. Using data from the CC-CEDICT project, DianHua Audio Dictionary provides search support for English, Mandarin Pinyin (with or without tones), Traditional Characters, Simplified Characters, and mixed searches consisting of any combination of the above.
Other features of the DianHua Audio Dictionary include:
- Audio: Hear clear pronunciations of all entries in the dictionary.
- Search History: All search terms entered into the Search field are stored in your Search History. Touch any term in the list to see the results.
- Bookmarks: Arrange all of the words you are studying into a nested hierarchy of Folders.
- Writing Practice: Under the Study tab, you can practice typing or writing characters using any of the iPhone's Simplified or Traditional keyboards, including the character drawing keyboards. Choose whether you want to see Pinyin and/or English for the prompt and draw or type the appropriate Chinese character into the box provided.
- Flashcards: Select any combination of Audio, Traditional, Simplified, English, and Pinyin for the Front and Back of the cards and grade your confidence in your answer. If you choose to use the Difficulty sorting algorithm, more difficult words will be shown more often than words you tend to answer correctly.
- Numbers: Convert numeric entries to Simplified and/or Traditional variants including their Banking equivalents. Touch the audio icon to hear arbitrary numbers spoken.
- DianHuaDictionary.com: Search from your browser, sync between multiple devices, export, and import data.
Samples of the audio included in the DianHua Audio Dictionary may be found
on the JSQ, LLC web site.
iOS 11 compatibility
Ratings and Reviews
I decided to take a semester break from my computer science curriculum and begin learning Chinese in China. This application has thus far served as an incredible tool for learning the Chinese language. Among the other iPhone dictonary/study applications for learning Mandarin, this one takes the cake. Looking up unfamiliar vocabulary is really easy with Apple's international keyboards. The audio library has helped me distiguish tones very well. But the way that the flash cards work is the real goldmine. I can go from (audio | pinyin/simplified character/english) to (english | pinyin) to any other configuration in a couple clicks, which allows me to study for every quiz format. Well worth the money.
I say that it's near perfect because there are a few changes I'd like to see.
- Because I'm taking Chinese in a classroom setting, there are a few occasions where I need to learn a phrase, such as "watching the television". While the CCEDIT dictionary is comprehensive when it comes to characters, the phrases are lacking. I'd like to have the ability to create my own flashcards.
- Whenever I study with physical flashcards, I tend to use an iterative study process (like the Leitner system). I think something like this would be an extremely valueable addition to the application.
- Stroke Diagrams
Audio is a must have for those learning Chinese
I have been waiting for a good audio dictionary to come out and so far it looks to be very accurate and useful as I already knew a few words before. My GF and her family speak Chinese and I don't so learning Chinese is a must. Hopefully with this new dictionary version 2.0 combined with the audio will help me learn more little by little. A must get if you already have the dictionary and fair price!
Yes, get it!
Yes, this app is well-worth the money--this has everything you need (with the DianHua free dictionary) to reinforce your Chinese vocabulary--now all it needs is stroke animation (so you can see the stroke order), but you can easily find the vocabulary you need to reinforce, put it in a flashcard pile, and test/reinforce your characters with ease. Looks good on the iPad (in the 2x mode) too.
- Jason Koeninger
- 268.5 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2009-2013 JSQ, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.