FretBoard is a reference tool for players of any stringed instrument.
FretBoard supports Guitar, Banjo, Bouzouki, Bass, Mandolin, Violin, Viola, Cello, Lute, Viola da gamba, Baroque Lute, Ukulele, Dobro, Charango, Lap Steel Guitar, Pedal Steel, Dulcimer, Chapman Sticks, all guitars and bass guitars tuned and set up for two-handed tapping, alternative guitar tunings and many other exotic instruments like Timple Canario, Huapanguera, Cuatro Puertoriqueño, Jarana Jarocha or Cavaquinho.
Currently FretBoard holds a collection of 170 premade instrument tunings in 15 instrument groups, and can visualize 68 chords and 83 scales on these instruments.
You can add any other stringed instrument or your own custom tunings with an instrument editor that is available as In-App-Purchase. This editor will allow you to change every aspect of the display, like wood, strings, inlays etc.
Additional sound banks can be purchased separately to further enhance the customisation.
FretBoard has an immense amount of music theory packed in a simple and intuitive interface guaranteeing fast access and easy understanding.
Features of FretBoard:
* Display the position of notes on the fretboard of virtually any stringed instrument
* Display chords in every key (68 chords are in the database via In-App Purchase).
* Display scales and modes in every key (83 scales, including church modes, Jazz, Blues, Bebop, geometrical and world music scales in the database via In-App Purchase).
* Add new instruments or tunings, or customize the look and sound with the optional instrument editor.
* Switch between the display of note names and intervals with the tap of a button.
* Add or delete notes of scales or chords with a simple tap.
* Let fretboard identify matching scales or chords to notes you entered with the optional "Identify" feature.
* Calculating the correct enharmonic spelling for notes in scales and chords.
* Skin support. You can choose from several woods, strings and inlays to personalize the look of each instrument with the optional instrument builder.
These are the in-app purchases currently provided:
Includes access to all chords and scales in the database, plus saving the settings when you leave the app.
With the instrument editor you can edit tunings and visual appearance of all instruments and even create new ones.
All Sound Skins:
With this pack you have access to all current and every future sound we implement in FretBoard.
A great tool to find chords and scales that meet a bunch of notes. Dial in some notes of a melody, for example, and let FretBoard tell you, which chords and scales include these notes.
This is the "everything for free forever“ pack! You get all the current features, and everything we will release in future updates as in-app purchase for free. Never pay for a feature again.
If you have paid for the former version of FretBoard:
As FretBoard is so long in the AppStore, we released two versions years ago, the first was the free tryout version (blue icon), the other was this full featured paid version (brown icon). Now you can update to the same feature set as before following this procedure:
1) Download the old app version 2.0 (brown icon). Launch this app once.
2) Download the new FretBoard (with the new icon). Launch this app. It will prompt you to purchase the Pro version for free via in-app purchase. Yes, it is a purchase, but it is free. We need to do this, to save your purchase in the Apple keychain for the future.
3) Finally delete delete the old brown version from your devices.
4) We want to say sorry for the above procedure, but it was the only way to migrate your payment of the old version to the new code. Thank you for supporting FretBoard with your purchase. We love you.
* Translations have been fixed
* Increase font size for iPad
* Minor fixes
FretBoard 2.0 is a complete overhaul of the well known FretBoard 1.x version. There is not one line of code that we did not inspect, optimised or enhanced. The whole user interface was refined to meet the current iOS standards and to work on all current iOS devices including all iPhones and iPads. And of course we listened to our users and added some of the most requested features. Enjoy!
If you own the former paid version, please update that one first for your free upgrade to this version!
Ratings and Reviews
Easy to use. Comprehensive. Covers notes, chords and scale patterns of all types and styles. References most stringed instruments, and string configuration. If you are serious intermediate to advanced player this is a great reference tool. Don’t hesitate to upgrade to the pro version.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your nice review! Please feel free to send your feature requests to email@example.com - we love to listen to user input.
Great up date
Works great like the new look. Not confusing at all. Most complaints are not correct. Works great. Have used it on hand spring to iPad . Thanks for the hard work.
Works great! It even supports the Chapman Stick. I was able to make a custom layout that matches the tuning I use on my Railboard!
- Marc Mennigmann
- 230.7 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, German, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 1998-2017 by Marc Mennigmann
- In-App Purchases
- MigrationIdentifier Free
- FretBoard Ultimate Pack $13.99
- FretBoard Pro Version $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.