By Mobila Interactive, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Tyrian --one of the best arcade vertical shooters (shmups) from the DOS era is now available on your iPhone!
"Action Game of The Year" by Computer Gaming Magazine (1995).
"4 out 5 stars" by Next Generation magazine.
"87 out 100" by PC Gamer magazine review.
Tyrian's story is set in 20,031 where you play as Trent Hawkins, a skilled fighter-pilot employed to fight Microsol and save the galaxy.
Tyrian for iPhone features:
- Full Story & Arcade modes
- Four action packed episodes: "Escape", "Treachery", "Mission: Suicide" & "An End to Fate"
- Sophisticated weapon upgrade system with hundreds of weapon combinations to chose from
- 50+ levels
- Seven difficulty levels
- Support for cheat codes, secret game modes, easter eggs, mini-games etc.
- 30+ music soundtracks by Alexander Brandon with a Jukebox.
Latest updates fix the weapons upgrade bug in the Story Mode, add new control scheme, make mini-games playable.
You will like Tyrian if you enjoy: iFighter, Siberian Strike, Sky Force, 1942, Raiden, Raptor: Call of the Shadows, other shmups, Classic PC & Arcade Games
Still having doubts? Try Tyrian Lite for free. Have hours of fun, then come back for the full experience.
This is a re-write of the original Tyrian v2.1 game by Jason Emery, Daniel Cook, Alexander Brandon, Robert Allen, and Eclipse Productions. It is based on OpenTyrian project's source code and licensed under GNU GPL v2.
In accordance with GPL v2, the source code is available upon request.
What our users say:
Wow, I loved Tyrian (and later Tyrian 2000) back in the day. It's an incredible shmup with a lot of depth, thanks to an extensive weapon power-up system. On my 3GS, it plays well, looks great, and brings back fond fond memories. Great port! The only thing more I could ask for would be better (and louder) sound. The music sounds very compressed, making the quality inferior to the original and other iPhone games as well. Otherwise, I could not be happier that one of my favorite PC shmups has made it onto my phone! Thank you!!
This is a must for any shmup fan.
BTW, speed can be controlled from the pause menu.. as well as detail, music etc.
iPhone 3GS can even handle secret "Wild" detail level
According to devs, weapon upgrade bug fix is alredy submitted for Apple review.
Love the X-mass easter egg too :-)
I must have spent in excess of 500 hours playing this game as a teenager. I don't even play games anymore but just spent the last few hours reliving my youth with this. It's great! Only things I'd suggest are a button to fire the special weapons and some way of making the controls a little bit smoother. Otherwise great. Thanks for making this app.
What's New in Version 1.4
Compatibility with iOS4
Compatibility with iPad
iPad version features:
- More accurate music / fx emulation
- 44Khz CD quality music
- GUI and controls re-design to better fix iPad
- new visual effects
Pretty great, but I prefer a little alteration
I loved the original PC version and this is great. However, some things I want to see changed in an update:
- TOO FAST - The game (including the menus) runs too quickly when compared to the original. The in-game speed, though, can be easily changed in the in-game menu.
- SHOOTING SYSTEM SHOULD CHANGE - In the original, if you repeatedly click the mouse instead of holding it, you would use your weapon power up when it was ready (it's located in the top left corner and there's a red bar indicating if it's ready). In the iPod version, you can't repeatedly click to shoot and use the power-up unless you repeadedly turn off and off the main weapon tab (which doesn't really make much sense, but it should be there, just fixed and altered). The main gun shouldn't be constantly on and should only constantly shoot if you are holding your finger on the screen. You should also be able to repeatedly tap the screen to repeatedly shoot, like in the original.
Hi. I absolutely LOVE this game! I play it ALL the time on my Apple iPad/iPad 2! However, it force-closes (or FC, for short) when playing either mode on the 3rd episode (a few stages later; perhaps like the final or next-to-final stage of the 3rd episode), assuming you started from any level(s) before going on to the 4th episode. Please fix this. Is this a bug? Also, I would like to see a new game called "Tyrian 2000", because it has more cheat codes, includes the 5th (or final) episode, and other features not included in this Tyrian (not Lite) game. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! =-D
Bug: When playing in any difficulty level mode and whether or not you are in arcade mode, and when you get into the level called "New Dehi" (or "New Delhi?), it force-closes (or crashes) after you finish that level before you move on to the next stage or level. What's going on? Please fix this! Thank you!
I'm not a pc gamer, but I'm a huge shooter fan. After some research, I picked this up and could not be (much) happier. The action and music are blazing, the amount of content is ridiculous, movement is responsive, upgrades are great fun, and level design has a fantastic "Xevious" vibe to it.
Since the interface is unexplained, it took me a while to see the fallacy of the button layout. First off, movement should be controlled with the left hand while the right operates buttons. It should at least be swap-able. Since energy conservation is evidently key, firing should be manual, rather than a bewildering autofire toggle. Again, the option would be nice.
Despite what may be a inevitably odd control setup, it doesn't detract enough from this amazing package to avoid purchase. Highly recommended.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Sep 23, 2010
- Version: 1.4
- Size: 7.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Mobila Interactive, LLC
- © Mobila Interactive
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.