Sun Seeker: 3D Augmented Reality Viewer
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Provides a FLAT VIEW COMPASS and an AUGMENTED REALITY CAMERA 3-D VIEW showing the solar path, its hour intervals, its winter and summer solstice paths, rise and set times and more and a MAP VIEW showing solar direction for each daylight hour.
! New for iOS8 - Graphical widget showing today's solar data and position on arc !
* Real Estate Buyers - for finding the sun exposure of properties you are considering
* Gardeners - for finding optimal planting locations for current and seasonal solar exposure
* Photographers - for planning optimal light conditions
* Architects - for getting a feel for the spatial variability of the solar angle throughout the year
* All Sun Lovers! To find the sun, even when it is hidden by clouds or walls
* Uses GPS and magnetometer to find the correct solar position and path for your current location
* Flat compass view showing current solar position, diurnal solar angle and elevation (separated into day & night segments), shadow length ratio, atmospheric path thickness
* 3D augmented reality camera overlay view showing the sun's current position, its path with hour points marked
* Camera view also has an optional pointer to guide you towards the current location of the sun
* Map view showing solar direction arrows and elevations for each hour of the day
* Ability to choose any date and view solar path for that day
* Ability to choose any location on earth (includes 40,000+ cities or custom locations)
* Additional details including rise, set and culmination times, maximum elevation
* User option to include summer and winter solstice paths on both flat compass view and camera view
Videos, videos, videos
* Check out our YouTube video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3ENGG6Drww
* Search YouTube for "Sun Seeker app" for many other videos created by enthusiastic users
* IMPORTANT - Please ensure that Settings / Location Services / System Settings / Compass Calibration is switched ON. The app's 3D view will not work without it!
* The compass accuracy depends on having an undistorted magnetic field around your device. If you use it close to metallic objects or electrical equipment, directional accuracy may be impaired.
What's New in Version 4.5
* New feature - change or scroll through date and time in the 3D view - tap on new Calendar icon on left of bottom toolbar
* Several minor bug fixes
Great App & Easy to Use
Great app for travel, astronomy, hiking and any other activity dependent upon knowing when the sun rises/sets. Also allows you to pick locations so you can plan ahead.
My favorite feature is the 3d augmented reality view of the sun. Helped to ensure I knew where the sun would be when choosing an apartment in Seattle on a cloudy day. Plus the ability to export sun data as a CSV table for use in a spreadsheet is great as well.
Nice job and please keep the updates rolling.
Why is Moonseeker separate?
I love this app for planning timelapses and knowing where the sun will be for video shoots. However, sometimes it's calibration is way off, it'll tell me that the sun is way off to the left or right of where it actually is. Also, I think it's ridiculous that they didn't just include the moon tracking in the same app instead of trying to a cash in on a needless second app.
I use the Notification Center widget almost daily. The developer(s) continue to support and improve the app. I've owned it for several years and love showing it off to people!
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Mar 24, 2015
- Version: 4.5
- Size: 9.3 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Japanese
- Seller: Ajnaware Pty Ltd
- © Ajnaware Pty Ltd
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone and iPad. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.