Perfect OCR: document scanner with high quality OCR
By Piksoft Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Perfect OCR gives you both a very accurate general purpose OCR app and a high-quality document scanner. Now you can scan and OCR your letter-size or A4 documents with an accuracy of 90% or more, edit, copy and store the recognized text, and e-mail your documents as PDF files with text, SINGLE page image, or both together!
★ NOTE: To ensure the advertised results it is important that you follow the OCR TIPS below (or in the app's help).
★ NOTE: Not designed to work with iPod Touch / iPad 2 camera due to the lower resolution. It is harder to achieve good OCR results with iPhone 3G or earlier model.
"It worked great for me! I translated a whole story in spanish using the espanol language preference and then I copied and pasted it into a translator to get the whole story in English!"
"This app is really very good and I find it to be very accurate!"
>> Perfect OCR users.
Perfect OCR scans your documents using advanced image-processing algorithms to eliminate uneven lighting and shadows and improve contrast. The result is the clearest and most readable scans possible from the iPhone's camera. Perfect OCR also offers SureScan, our proprietary scanning mode that delivers sharper images with less jitter or smear.
Our unique "Email to myself" feature lets you send documents to a predefined address, or even upload them to an online storage service like Evernote or Box.net, with a single tap. Uploading documents to online services via email is fast, secure, and can be done even if you're temporarily off line. Refer to app help for details.
All processing happens on your iPhone, and the confidentiality of your data is never compromised. There is also no subscription fee, and no Internet access is needed to scan documents or run OCR.
PERFECT OCR FEATURES:
• Letter-size or A4 page OCR with accuracy of 95% for model 3GS, 98% for iPhone 4, and up to 90% for 3G
• OCR languages: English, French, Spanish, German, Dutch, Italian, Portuguese, Swedish, and Russian
• Email multipage PDFs with text, SINGLE page image, or both
• Automatic document edge detection and perspective correction
• Multipage text recognition with accuracy indicator
• Text editing and copy-to-clipboard operations
• Built-in OCR text archive with file sharing via iTunes
• "Email to myself" feature
• Email text and image files (.TXT + .JPG), or save image to library
• Searchable PDFs with document images (single page)
• Preserves simple text formatting
• Option to auto-remove line breaks
• SureScan mode for jitter-free scans
• Simple yet powerful user interface
• Instant brightness, rotation, and color controls
• Compact attachments with adjustable size
★ IMPORTANT TIPS FOR OCR:
• Make sure your document is flat and well lit. Hold your iPhone still while shooting. On iPhone 4 force the flash On.
• For iPhone 3G or earlier model, you must hold it at least 10-12 inches away from the document.
• Use rotation feature to ensure the text is horizontal after scanning.
• Always scan documents using "SureScan 3x" mode.
• For letter-sized documents (8½ x 11 or A4), text size must be at least 12 points. For smaller text sizes try splitting the document into multiple parts (iPhone 4 works with even smaller fonts).
• Glossy paper may not work well (avoid glare).
• When scanning books keep the pages as flat as possible and your iPhone parallel to the surface.
• Perfect OCR cannot recognize handwritten or very large text correctly.
• Make sure to select the right language for OCR in app settings.
★ Works great with the new iPad (3) !
We're constantly improving Perfect OCR, and we value our customers' opinions and feedback. Please contact us at email@example.com. If you have a problem with our software, please contact us before submitting a comment to the app store. We can solve most of the problems, but we cannot respond to comments.
What's New in Version 2.4.1
Open files in apps like the free Dropbox or Evernote app to send to clouds
Pretty good, but note the limitations
I was trying to scan some old bulletins (typewritten, so pretty standard font). What I wanted was a searchable PDF file of the bulletin.
This product will not help me with that.
The OCR was OK. If the text was prose, then it did a good job. It fell down when the type was not perfectly clear, and when ALL CAPS were used (which the editor used often for people's names).
Also the bulletins tended to have little pictures spread across the page. That tripped it up, and they were converted to random gibberish characters.
My rating would have been higher, and I would find the app useful if it could mail the entire PDF when I was done, with the error-filled text, so that I could correct it offline. The description says it, but I'll be clear -- when you send a "image" PDF, your only option is to send an image of the last page. Nothing else. Not the first, nor all, just the last.
If you send the _text_ as PDF, it can be multi-page, but I didn't catch that subtlety before purchasing.
I'd give it 4.5 if I could. It works very well on standard print, and I've even managed to scan and convert to text from Kindle for Windows 8. This has gotten out of tight spots when researching, writing and presenting. Smaller text, yellowed paper, and any fancier text produce poorer results. It is quite fast for OCR, and I rarely take more than one pic per scan. If I see one fault, it is the line breaks it puts in that don't seem to match what is on the page. That makes for some tedious editing.
Perfect OCR 2.4.1 needs to be updated ASAP!
Perfect OCR 2.4.1 needs to be updated ASAP!
It is not a 32 bit app and will not work on iPhone after the next version of iOS is released (probably next month, August, 2017).
I love Perfect OCR, and would gladly pay for an upgraded version!
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Oct 24, 2011
- Version: 2.4.1
- Size: 11.3 MB
- Languages: English, Russian
- Seller: Piksoft Inc.
- © Piksoft 2013
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.