SCRABBLE for iPad
By Electronic Arts
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
CONNECT WITH FRIENDS. PLAY WITH WORDS. Get a game of SCRABBLE going with just about anyone – or play solo against the computer! Plus, now you can play SCRABBLE in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, or Brazilian Portuguese.
WHO WILL YOU PLAY?
• Challenge friends via Facebook and more
• Find an instant opponent with a single touch
• Play solo against the computer to improve your skills
• Get numerous games going at once – more than any word game on the App Store
SHOW OFF YOUR SKILLS
Connect to Facebook and share your best scores. You can even talk a good game with enhanced chat and notification features.
IMPROVE YOUR SCORES WITH THE TEACHER
Become a SCRABBLE master with the exclusive “Teacher” feature - see what your best word could have been after every turn.
LOSS FOR WORDS?
Use the in-game word list, built-in official SCRABBLE dictionary, or the exclusive Best Word feature to see your highest scoring choices.
Want to recreate the feeling of a real-time in-person game? Try the new Speed Play mode where you and your opponent agree to 2 or 5 minute turns. If words aren't played in time, nudge and forfeit options are unlocked.
View every detail on the board with HD-quality graphics made to maximize the Retina display.
Ready for the first and last word in word games? Don’t accept imitations. Just say, “LET’S PLAY SCRABBLE!
What's New in Version 5.1.0
Hey Scrabble fans! We've made more updates to continue improving your Scrabble experience including:
- Faster load times for your games and friends list
- Restored tile magnification when moving letters from your rack to the board for easier placement
- Behind-the-scenes changes for game play improvement
Thanks for playing!
Each version of this program is worse than the previous. Bugs are introduced. There have been week-long connectivity issues that have prevented game play and the company even introduced pop-up advertisements for other games in this paid version. It is outrageous.
I am now adding to the previous review to mention that the upgrades are getting worse. It takes almost two minutes to load the app on my iPad mini with IOS 9.2.1. The new animations that were added when switching between games with friends add no value and slow everything down. There is no way to edit a word you entered for lookup in the dictionary entry screen. You can only backspace over an entire word. The screen goes red when you switch from landscape to portrait mode. Sometimes a tied game will show as having been won by one or the other player. A tie game also lowered my ELO score. When adding a Bingo to the score it sometimes counts it twice and then reduces the mistake before switching play back to the other player. This is horrible programming and testing.
I rate this latest version a zero. I bet this was outsourced to crappy programmers.
Don't like some of the words
Still 3 stars, even though I play it frequently. Looked up "cavernous" and "questioner" and they are both words in the assigned dictionary, but was not allowed to use them. My "two-letter words" and the ones on my husband's ipad are different....his has fewer.
This was an old review: Actually, don't like a lot of them. They might be in the dictionary, but there are way too many foreign words that are probably more recent. Lots of misspells, too. I check online for a spelling if I think it is incorrect. Also, don't understand how my version and my husband's can have different two-letter words. Or, how a word is accepted on my iPad, but not his. Both are up-to-date.
Once again, you mess with Scrabble and we don't like it. Don't like the how word scores are calculated. Still problem with words not accepter,much as "emotional". Said it was in the dictionary. Hate all the foreign words that are not in everyday English and should not be in an English dictionary.
Great game… with some let-downs
I love Scrabble, always have. I love being able to play on my computer, against it, and against friends. But there are some definite glitches in the system that absolutely must be fixed.
Amongst the most annoying are:
1) Not accepting certain words that are absolutely in the English language and dictionary, and are not slang. One that comes to mind is “zen,” which is a form of Buddhism, and a state of being. Other similar words are in, that one is out. There have been quite a few words that we have found that are “not known words” according to the game. Ridiculous.
2) Meanwhile, other non-words ARE acceptable - such as: “Eew” and “Eew” (but not “Ew” with on “e’). That tells us that sound effects are accepted while other regularly used words are not.
3) Scored points suddenly vanishing in front of your eyes. After creating a word, and it being accepted with a certain score point shown, it appears to go up into our final scores, and then suddenly just is not added in. It vanishes. Very not OK.
Other issues have included slow start times, and sudden loss of connection, while the Wi-Fi shows full connection.
I hope that the company addresses these issues, although they have developed a nasty reputation for posting on Forum boards with a catch-all answer that states, “Ask someone on the board. We don’t know.”, or worded similarly. (I have seen it.)
That aside… it’s a great game, and enjoy…!! :)
- Category: Games
- Updated: Jan 19, 2016
- Version: 5.1.0
- Size: 82.9 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Seller: Electronic Arts Inc.
- © 2013 Electronic Arts Inc.Inc. © 2013 Hasbro. All rights reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.