By Tom Holsten
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Mil-Dot Ballistics combines fast range estimation with a full featured ballistics calculator that’s simple to use. Real-time calculations provide instant range estimation and ballistics calculation to get you on target fast.
The simple interface allows for one handed operation and eliminates any need to manually type any measurements to range a target.
Complete, detailed user manual for iPhone and iPad available at www.rangetimesoftware.com.
- Kestrel DROP wireless data logger integration automatically updates atmospheric conditions.
- 3DOF point mass ballistics engine
- 249 mil, MOA and IPHY reticle designs, including reticles from Carl Zeiss, Nightforce Optics, Kahles, Vixen Sport Optics, Premier Reticles, SWFA, U.S. Optics, and Vortex Optics.
- Two modes of Range input: Calculate range from target size and sub tension - allows you to estimate range to targets at unknown distances and Direct range input for known distance targets
- Real-time solution information
- Extensive bullet / cartridge library includes American Eagle, Barnes, Black Hills, Federal Fiocchi, Fusion, Hornady, Lapua, Norma, Nosler, Remington, Sellier & Bellow, and Winchester.
- Support for variable BC information
- Ballistics chart (Range, Elevation, Windage, Velocity, Time Of Flight, Energy)
- Ballistics graph (Elevation, Velocity, Energy)
- Reticle Drop Chart
- Adjusts for atmospheric conditions for current and zero conditions (Density Altitude or Altitude, Pressure, Temperature and Humidity)
- Get accurate local pressure using the barometer in iPhone 6 / 6 Plus
- Use GPS location to set current atmospheric conditions
- Fast range estimation
- Moving target lead calculation
- Correction for coriolis effect
- Correction for spin drift
- Optimum point blank zero calculation
- Point blank range calculation
- Configurable windage / elevation hold display (mils, MOA, IPHY, clicks)
- Target size presets
- Second focal plane scope support
- Fast windspeed / direction adjustment
- Three ways to input line of sight angle (Angle in degrees, Cosine of angle, Automatic using device accelerometer)
- Fast target speed adjustment
- Target speed presets
- Training mode (practice your range estimation skills)
- Point of impact indicator
- Bullet drop compensation display
- Secondary solution info display for non-critical data
- Create unlimited ballistics profiles
- Multiple color schemes
- Adjustable display brightness
- Full Retina display support
- Print range cards
- More reticle designs coming soon, stay tuned!
What's New in Version 4.5.3
Added Kestrel DROP integration! Mil-Dot Ballistics will now automatically pull atmospheric conditions from your Kestrel DROP wireless data logger. Continuous integration automatically updates atmospheric conditions at user configurable interval from 5 - 60 seconds. For more information on the Kestrel DROP wireless data loggers visit http://www.nkhome.com/kestrel/
Primary Arms ACSS 1-6x (PAPS1-6x)
Primary Arms ACSS 5x Prism (PAC5X) Red Illumination
Primary Arms ACSS 5x Prism (PAC5X) Green Illumination
Schmidt and Bender Klein (1st Focal Plane)
Schmidt and Bender MSR (1st Focal Plane)
Schmidt and Bender MilDot CC (1st Focal Plane)
Schmidt and Bender P3L (1st Focal Plane)
Schmidt and Bender P4L (2nd Focal Plane)
Schmidt and Bender P4L Fine (1st Focal Plane)
More reticles coming soon.
Fixed issue where zero conditions in ballistic profiles were getting reset to standard atmospheric conditions when restarting the app.
Fixed issue where humidity is not used properly in air density calculation.
It is rare, but occasionally it happens, that all the elements of knowledge, experience, understanding and wisdom come together and are manifested in genius. This program is that manifestation. The gentleman whose mind envisioned the perfect ballistics program has indeed exemplified intelligence, intellect, and master craftsmanship. All these attributes are embodied in this incredible feature rich ballistics app.
After struggling with the touted simplicity of Shooter, and the over-hyped Ballistic AE in both the iPad and iPhone versions, my research and frustration led me to Mil-Dot Ballistics; What a costly and disappointing journey until my ultimate discovery of Mil-Dot.
Ballistic AE “No-Reply” tech support (three attempts without as much as the courtesy of an acknowledgment) failed to respond to the crashing of their program whenever trying to save settings within the rangefinder module. There is no tech support or training of any kind apart from a few U-Tubers exercising their egos while ignoring crying babies and fighting dogs in the background.
Alternatively, Mil-Dot offers an in-depth PDF User manual and in-devise training module. The User Manual is elaborate, professional, and high quality. While you only purchase one version for both iPad and iPhone, there are separate User Manuals for each version. It is most apparent the gentleman behind this program(s) has a deep sense of pride of ownership and desires that all users obtain the finest insight and knowledge before spending countless time and money (and possibly frustration and disappointment) while on the range.
And speaking of time and money, after we shooters spend perhaps thousands of dollars on equipment, hours of valuable time in loading, travel and range time, is all comes together as precision and perfection, but only if we score in our individual competitive events. You can bake all of the preparation time and equipment into the shooter cake, but this program is the icing on the cake in terms of complete and total integration of training, equipment, ammo, time, experience, skill, knowledge, desire, and, of course, a competitor’s determination. And the ‘cherry’ on top of the cake is the genius behind and supporting this excellent app in its various versions.
And if anyone is wondering if I have been paid to take the time to write this review; YES, I was paid in kind when I purchased a $199.95 for $19.95 – and each time I use this program I will receive renewals and accruals and investment dividends in saved time, zero frustration, a sense of satisfaction, and what we all strive for as competitive shooters; high scores and a sense of self-mastery and accomplishment.
Lastly, be sure to read the reviews of this app in the all versions tab in the app store since most reviews are under this tab. The last time I checked there were more than two hundred reviews from some of our nation’s most knowledgeable and respected shooters. Shoot for Gold and enjoy our American sport.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Apr 21, 2015
- Version: 4.5.3
- Size: 32.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Thomas Holsten
- © 2011 Tom Holsten
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.