Speaking Spell Kindergarten - HD
By BANG! Studios
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
I've always had fond memories of my Speak n Spell from the early 1980s, but there's never been a decent replacement for the iPad until now.
Speaking Spell HD provides not only the familiar keyboard input and voice response of the original Speak 'n' Spell but adds a number of features and enhancements that cannot be found with any other app, like:
- The spoken text is very understandable. We've used top-of-the-line text to speech software to ensure that students will not struggle with Speaking Spell's speech quality.
- A "Hint" button which recites a sentence using the word that the student is asked to spell. The format is standard spelling bee: A sentence, and then the word is repeated
- The word list is taken from actual spelling exercises used by teachers.
- The word list is constantly being added to and enhanced.
- The user interface is incredibly child-friendly. Not only does each letter keypress provide audio feedback of the letter, but the onscreen keys are highlighted and increased in size ... just like the standard iPad keyboard but with bright, easily readable buttons meant just for young students
- The word to be spelled can be repeated at any time, or skipped if the student is having too much difficulty with it
- We're open to suggestions! If there's any enhancements that teachers and/or parents would like to see, we're happy to add them in future releases.
In kindergarten, spelling words start with basic three letter consonant-vowel-consonant words, and become more complex. For example, the starting point for Speaking Spell Kindergarten are the words "dad" and "mom".
Speaking Spell Kindergarten progresses by working through "word families": from "cat" to "hat", for example.
Finally, Speaking Spell Kindergarten improves spelling by covering phonetic blends: T plus R make the "tr" sound, such as in "tree".
All in all we're very proud of Speaking Spell HD -- it's the best spelling drill, tutor and edutainment app for spelling on the App Store, in high-resolution to take full advantage of the iPad's capabilities!
What's New in Version 1.1
Optimized - launches and runs faster on all iPads, fixes for iOS 4.2.
Not bad, but limited.
I'd like to see the option for them to just write on it. I ask him how to spell 'cat', he types it in and the app tells him the letters as he types it.
Does not have the original speak and spell voice :(
Sad that there is only one voice