By Farlex, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The only Dictionary and Thesaurus with every word you search for. Plus Word of the Day, free offline dictionary access, and millions of definitions and synonyms from top sources, including:
The American Heritage Dictionary
Plus FREE access to:
English Offline Dictionary
English Offline Thesaurus with synonyms and more
English Idioms and Slang Dictionary
Translations of English into 40+ languages
Dozens of other translation options
+ Much more! The Free Dictionary is like getting 100+ apps in one easy-to-use interface.
Rated #1 app in the App Store in the free reference category in 99 countries 2011–2016. (Source: https://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/379450383/app-ranking/#device=ipad&type=best-ranks)
Here's what you can do with The Free Dictionary app:
* Find every word you search for.
Clear, accurate definitions from top dictionaries—online and offline.
* Find synonyms fast.
Free Thesaurus with simple interface makes it easy to find the perfect word. Browse synonyms, antonyms, and related words.
* Learn something new every day.
Word of the Day
Idiom of the Day
+ Other daily content
* Build your vocabulary.
Don't just look up words—learn how to use them! Featuring:
The perfect dictionary app for word lovers and learners of all levels.
* Explore topics in-depth.
Multiple specialty dictionaries and encyclopedias:
Idioms and Slang dictionary
Acronyms and Abbreviations
* Play word games.
Spelling Bee, Hangman, and more.
* See idioms in action.
Watch idioms videos inside the app! Featuring animations of words and phrases from the idioms and slang dictionary.
* Access dictionaries in 13 other languages.
Spanish dictionary and thesaurus
French dictionary and thesaurus
German dictionary and thesaurus
+ Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, and more!
* Translate English into Spanish, French, and 40+ languages.
Or translate other languages into English. Access dozens of other translation options.
* Access dictionaries and encyclopedias from these top publishers with just one search:
Cambridge University Press
Columbia University Press
Here's why The Free Dictionary is the most user-friendly dictionary app:
* Instantly look up words in apps or webpages! Just highlight the word you want to look up, tap "Share," then tap "More" in the bottom menu and turn on the "Define" option. You will then see a "Define" icon in the menu. Tap it to see the definition of the highlighted word!
* Voice search. Look up a word just by saying it.
* Advanced Search options.
* Look up the definition of any word on the page. Just highlight and tap "Definition."
* Save unlimited bookmarks and sync them to all your devices.
* Customize your homepage: Move, add, or remove articles, games, even local weather.
* Jump to Definition, Thesaurus, or Translations with one button.
* Navigate the app in more than a dozen languages with the multilingual interface.
* Adjust font size.
* Share your favorite words via social networks, email, or text.
* Earn meals for hungry children through The Free Dictionary's partnership with the World Food Program—just by using the app!
This is not a trial version—you get everything free and forever. Additional offline dictionaries in other languages are available in the Pro version.
Seem too good to be true?
The Free Dictionary app has been downloaded tens of millions times across multiple platforms, with top ratings after hundreds of thousands of reviews.
Read reviews from real users to see why they say The Free Dictionary is the best dictionary app they've ever used.
* For app developers: The Free Dictionary app can be accessed by other apps with API calls (Contact Farlex for instructions).
What's New in Version 6.3
* Bug fixes.
* If you like The Free Dictionary app, please rate it 5 stars in the App Store! We read every single review we receive, but unfortunately the App Store does not give us the ability to respond. If you have any problems or questions, please use the "Feedback" option in the settings menu to email support[at]tfd[dot]com. You'll be amazed how quickly we reply!
I actually really do love this app, and I very rarely rate apps!!! This app is easy to use, easy to understand & is just overall user friendly.
With that being said, I only gave it 4 stars. This is because like others have also said, I wish it was slightly more sophisticated so that when I go back to the main page it doesn't bring me all the way back to the very top, so I have to scroll through everything I've already read. I also wish that for the Idiom of The Day that the video provided more information, instead of just simply repeating what is already written about it. Like the one reviewer stated, it'd be a great idea if you guys would include the history of the idiom or something more educational like that....instead of repetition of the written part.
Other than that, I love it!! Oh!! And I guess to be totally inclusive in my review, I'd really appreciate it if perhaps you either would have days where you chose the Word of The Day as a much more less known word, OR have another word in addition to the regular Word of The Day, that is a "higher point" word....i.e. a word that most people do not know the meaning of, and/or a word that replaces the need to use multiple words to get the same point across.
Cough up 4 bucks for this app, people!!!
The app I think is so SO sooooo worth 4 bones. I LOVE it and the developers deserve to have this noticed and when u use a free version of an app often and you find it useful and interesting ans enlightening and well designed, it seems to me that paying for the one that costs just a few bucks is only fair to the developers. My philosophy is that when I have established I very much like the free version of any app and use it regularly, that it is a given to pitch in to support the people that made it. But... I dunno if people in this society of ours think much about the actual people behind the app... they dont get past the thought "is it free?". Well, people out there should use free apps all they want as I do, but the ones i use regularly I will upgrade once they become a common go to for me. But that's me.
Love love this app, but just one thing...
I would change my review to five stars if the developers made it so that when you're playing the games or clicking through to an article on the home page (with the Brain Level challenges and word of the day, etc) it would remember the location on the main page when you clicked back, rather than putting you at the top of the page again. It's pretty annoying to want to read an article and click to read more, or click through to see a definition when you're in a game, and then have to scroll all the way back down on the home page when you hit the back button to get back to where you were.
Not an enormous pain, but enough of a pain that I don't want to check it every day or play the games since I know it'll be a ton of scrolling back down to where I was.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Feb 08, 2017
- Version: 6.3
- Size: 19.4 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Turkish
- Seller: Farlex, Inc.
- © 2017 Farlex, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Ad-free upgrade$1.99