By Farlex, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The only Dictionary and Thesaurus with every word you search for. Plus Word of the Day, free offline dictionary access, and millions of definitions and synonyms from top sources, including:
The American Heritage Dictionary
Plus FREE access to:
English Offline Dictionary
English Offline Thesaurus with synonyms and more
English Idioms and Slang Dictionary
Translations of English into 40+ languages
Dozens of other translation options
+ Much more! The Free Dictionary is like getting 100+ apps in one easy-to-use interface.
Rated #1 app in the App Store in the free reference category in 99 countries 2011–2016. (Source: https://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/379450383/app-ranking/#device=ipad&type=best-ranks)
Here's what you can do with The Free Dictionary app:
* Find every word you search for.
Clear, accurate definitions from top dictionaries—online and offline.
* Find synonyms fast.
Free Thesaurus with simple interface makes it easy to find the perfect word. Browse synonyms, antonyms, and related words.
* Learn something new every day.
Word of the Day
Idiom of the Day
+ Other daily content
* Build your vocabulary.
Don't just look up words—learn how to use them! Featuring:
The perfect dictionary app for word lovers and learners of all levels.
* Explore topics in-depth.
Multiple specialty dictionaries and encyclopedias:
Idioms and Slang dictionary
Acronyms and Abbreviations
* Play word games.
Spelling Bee, Hangman, and more.
* See idioms in action.
Watch idioms videos inside the app! Featuring animations of words and phrases from the idioms and slang dictionary.
* Access dictionaries in 13 other languages.
Spanish dictionary and thesaurus
French dictionary and thesaurus
German dictionary and thesaurus
+ Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, and more!
* Translate English into Spanish, French, and 40+ languages.
Or translate other languages into English. Access dozens of other translation options.
* Access dictionaries and encyclopedias from these top publishers with just one search:
Cambridge University Press
Columbia University Press
Here's why The Free Dictionary is the most user-friendly dictionary app:
* Instantly look up words in apps or webpages! Just highlight the word you want to look up, tap "Share," then tap "More" in the bottom menu and turn on the "Define" option. You will then see a "Define" icon in the menu. Tap it to see the definition of the highlighted word!
* Voice search. Look up a word just by saying it.
* Advanced Search options.
* Look up the definition of any word on the page. Just highlight and tap "Definition."
* Save unlimited bookmarks and sync them to all your devices.
* Customize your homepage: Move, add, or remove articles, games, even local weather.
* Jump to Definition, Thesaurus, or Translations with one button.
* Navigate the app in more than a dozen languages with the multilingual interface.
* Adjust font size.
* Share your favorite words via social networks, email, or text.
* Earn meals for hungry children through The Free Dictionary's partnership with the World Food Program—just by using the app!
This is not a trial version—you get everything free and forever. Additional offline dictionaries in other languages are available in the Pro version.
Seem too good to be true?
The Free Dictionary app has been downloaded tens of millions times across multiple platforms, with top ratings after hundreds of thousands of reviews.
Read reviews from real users to see why they say The Free Dictionary is the best dictionary app they've ever used.
* For app developers: The Free Dictionary app can be accessed by other apps with API calls (Contact Farlex for instructions).
What's New in Version 6.2
* You can now look up words in The Free Dictionary from any app or webpage! Just highlight the word you want to look up, tap "Share," and then tap "Define."
* New Word of the Day widget for iOS 10! To add the widget, swipe to the left on your homescreen and tap "Edit" at the bottom of the screen. Find "Word of the Day" in the list and tap the green plus sign to add it!
* Optimized for iOS 10.
* Bug fixes.
* If you like The Free Dictionary app, please rate it 5 stars in the App Store! We read every single review we receive, but unfortunately the App Store does not give us the ability to respond. If you have any problems or questions, please use the "Feedback" option in the settings menu to email support[at]tfd[dot]com. You'll be amazed how quickly we reply!
The free dictionary by Farlex
Farlex free dictionary is a good site, but they refuse to admit their errors. If something on the site isn't working right & I ask for help, after a lot of trouble trying to get some help, I am always told that they're working on it, but then send an email. The problems are not solved for me. I'm playing as a registered member of The free food for the hungry program & I'm in 2nd place in my city. The "mismatch" word game uses the same words redundantly. The words used today i have seen at least 2 other times this week, and more before that. The green spoons by my name have still never been added and i have 8k or 10k points. i have tried to get my profile picture put up for 2 months & it gave the same 2 excuses every time it wouldn't work. there are too many bugs. I liked the app before I registered for their free food for children program, but with all the bugs and never shown the icon that i haven't got to see them, i feel that i'm wasting my time doing that for charity.
User friendly, fun and engaging
I try not to get lost in different tangents of what ever I may be doing on my device but I generally enjoy a few minutes of accidental learning offered by wandering through the various points of view on words, topics, phrases, pronunciation, languages, idioms, unusual facts or meanings, quotes… I think I've made my point.
I particularly enjoyed the quick games available and being able to set up my own home page with the games I like built-in.
I chose to put Word of the Day in my device pull down menu for a quick brain stim.
It doesn't matter how many other online dictionaries I try I continue to return to this one I even spent the extra money for the upgrade I like the fact that it has a thesaurus in addition to pronouncing the words using them in a sentence. I enjoy the word of the day I feel like I am still educating myself with broadening my vocabulary. I also enjoy being able to see where the word originated from this is a great app I will continue to use it and make suggestions for others to use it also.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Nov 01, 2016
- Version: 6.2
- Size: 19.2 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Turkish
- Seller: Farlex, Inc.
- © 2016 Farlex, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Ad-free upgrade$1.99