Audubon Owls - A Field Guide to North American Owls
By National Audubon Society
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Nothing beats Audubon mobile field guides! With 1 million downloads, they are the most trusted authoritative field guide collection in North America. Highest quality at an affordable price.
We are proud that 8% of every sale goes directly to Audubon to support its mission to conserve and protect nature's at-risk birds and wildlife.
Introducing Audubon Owls, a fun-filled, interactive guide to the 19 owl species of North America. Featuring everything you need to know about owls, the app goes in-depth with species descriptions, audio of calls, range maps, up-to-date reference material and much more. Audubon Owls also includes games, puzzles, quizzes, and videos, with a special video, Owl in the Vineyard, all designed to enhance and test your knowledge of one of the most intriguing bird species on earth.
• Puzzles, quizzes, and videos to in increase your owl knowledge
• In-depth descriptions of every North American Owl, with authoritative information on appearance, habitat, behavior and more.
• Owl songs and calls for every audible owl in North America
• High-quality professional photographs depicting each species in their natural habitat
• Range Maps
• Five video segments with intriguing owl info plus great owl footage
• Identify a sighting with unprecedented accuracy. Search for an owl using multiple new variables including wing shape, locomotion, song type, and song pattern. Also search by size, region, color, and more.
• Browse by shape, name (first, last, scientific), or by family
• Navigate the app with ease thanks to an advanced and intuitive interface. • Sync on demand to update new species information as it is added to our database, including photos, range maps, bird songs and calls, more
• Use the app on your iPhone or iTouch anywhere, anytime. No internet connection necessary.
• Join our online field guide community of nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts at AudubonGuides.com
• Interact, post and share sightings, photos, tips, opinions and more
• Read the blogs for insights from our naturalists in the field
• Send us your suggestions, comments or requests. We also welcome submissions of high quality photography of birds and other species. You can contact us directly by selecting "Feedback" in the "More" section of the application.
Visit www.audubonguides.com for more on our apps.
What's New in Version 1.3
Ability to register for the chance to win an iPod Touch
Enhanced search features
Nice, but limited
This free Audubon guide app is a nice-enough teaser for the broader run of Audubon apps, but it apparently does not show off all the features. For example, although the app offers an opportunity to register, and via registration possibility of recording sightings, etc., the app doesn't appear to include that capability. The information and photos are typical of a very basic guide, without great detail or deep levels of information. While a decent freebie, I doubt it's an effective representative of the $10-plus paid apps in their library. Caveat emptor? It might just be that one gets what one pays for. Hard to know.
I don't write reviews..
I can't believe this was free!!!!!!! Last night around midnight, my husband & I were sitting outside about to go in & I said jokingly " let me call an owl over b4 we go in. I played a 16 second call and b4 it was over AN OWL FLEW UP!!! It landed about 10 ft away from our porch in the spot light and started calling back!!!!! Before we knew it we had owls hooting everywhere!!! If you like interacting with nature this FREE app is for you
I love this app because it has every owl in the US on it, and they're easy to browse through. The puzzles and games are fun too.
I have one problem though. For some reason the photos seem to be kind of fuzzy and almost pixelated. I have the latest iPod touch; does it just not work well on that? I had this app on my old iPhone 3 and the photos were beautifully clear. Please fix this or optimize it for the latest iPod/iPhone. Thanks!
- Category: Education
- Updated: May 02, 2011
- Version: 1.3
- Size: 130 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: National Audubon Society, Inc.
- © Green Mountain Digital LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.