The ultimate Western action RPG has arrived on iOS! Embark on an epic dark fantasy in the grand tradition of great, story-driven RPGs from PC and console, created by veterans of the Neverwinter Nights, Baldur’s Gate, and The Witcher franchises.
SLIDE TO PLAY - 4/4 “The Shadow Sun is one of the most captivating experiences I’ve had with a role-playing game in quite some time.”
DIGITALLY DOWNLOADED - 4.5/5 “The Shadow Sun floored me from start to finish.”
ARCADE SUSHI - 8.5/10 “If you’re a fan of RPGs at all, then The Shadow Sun belongs in your Games folder.”
POCKET GAMER - 8/10 (Silver Award) “The Shadow Sun replicates a tabletop RPG experience almost perfectly - right down to the carefully crafted fantasy world in which it's set.”
TOUCHARCADE - 4/5 “With a compelling story, plenty of content, and a character customization system that works, Shadow Sun succeeds in its goal as a Western RPG.”
APP-S.RU - 4/5 “The Shadow Sun is one of the few truly great RPGs for the iPhone, iPad and in the absence of competitors could easily sit next to Baldur's Gate.”
PORTABLE GAMING REGION “The Shadow Sun is pretty much what I imagine a “real” Dragon Age mobile game should be.”
** Featured in Apple’s Best New Games category! **
With The Shadow Sun, Ossian Studios brings together all its expertise from working with Dungeons & Dragons and The Witcher in order to create a deep, story-driven RPG experience for iOS. Prepare yourself for visceral real-time combat, a gorgeously detailed world to adventure in, complex characters to interact with, and an epic tale of an ancient city held within the grip of a mysterious plague.
Enter a world that has felt an alien touch upon its sun. An ever-increasing shadow that creeps across the sun's brilliant face, with consequences that are only now becoming horrifically apparent...
HOURS OF ADVENTURE
• A 10-hour adventure where you explore the decadent imperial city of Shar and the exotic desert lands around it, delving into a story filled with intrigue, danger, and shocking surprises.
• Explore over 70 unique areas and uncover 200+ unique items, hidden secrets, and ancient treasures.
• A handy journal tracks your quests and a detailed codex notes new characters, places, and creatures you encounter.
• An original orchestral soundtrack and amazing soundscape will immerse you into this dark fantasy world.
• Create your own male or female character and customize their attributes and appearance.
• Choose from among 30 attacks, spells, and skills to suit your favourite play style, and develop those abilities exactly how you want as the game progresses.
• Solve quests in multiple ways and have new NPC dialogue options open up depending on your skills.
• Ally with one of four companions to adventure alongside you, each with their own personality and abilities, and win their friendship or suffer their disapproval depending on your choices.
• Adopt a faithful dog companion to fight by your side.
Play on any of these supported devices, with graphics that scale with the device.
• iPad 1, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad mini with Retina display
• iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s
• iPod touch 3, iPod touch 4, iPod touch 5
* In-app purchases are purely optional! *
The 3 starter packs are optional DLC that have extra content and quests, none of which are required to enjoy the game. The in-depth hint guide also provides a full walkthrough and gameplay tips, along with details on companions, secrets, monsters, and other helpful information.
Visit our official site for more news and info about The Shadow Sun: http://www.ossianstudios.com/
Drop by our forums and talk directly with the development team: http://www.ossianstudios.com/forum/
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OssianStudios
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/OssianStudios
- Resolution fix for iPhone 7 Plus.
We appreciate your feedback and thanks for playing The Shadow Sun! If you enjoyed it, please rate it!
Ratings and Reviews
Solid iOS RPG
This was a really fun little RPG, now it's no Baldur's Gate 2, but I really enjoyed playing through it. At first I didn't like the combat, but once I got the hang of it it was fine. Played as a stealthy rogue sneak attacking and then transitioning to a bow. Had a very interesting western RPG story, but as I'm sure has been mentioned, the ending sets up an obvious sequel. But checking the developers website, I see no evidence of a sequel being created. Therefore the ending rings a bit hollow as it's obvious that the developers were planning on a sequel. Kind of a " Oh you thought I was the bad guy?" Type moment. All nit-picks aside I really enjoyed this and recommend to anyone interested in western RPGs, just takes a bit to get used to the fast combat. Clicking the companion portrait pauses the game FYI, helpful during combat, took me about half the game to figure that out. This studio has made some excellent modules for the Neverwinter Nights games, so there definitely is some talent there. Definitely a solid 4 out of 5. Hopefully they have plans for more games, but it may never happen.
Mildly fulfilling; glitch in the final sequence?
I have played this game all the way through, and have used all the player combination/tandems. And I think I have found all the secrets, which makes this issue that more bizarre.
In the final sequence when you enter the palace and are warned that you cannot return to the city, it makes no sense that you can collect dropped items inside the palace. Since exiting the palace means an automatic end to the game (only way 'out' is to defeat the last bad guy and talk to the dazed emperor, which leads to the ending sequence, and then straight to the game credits), I don't see the benefits of picking up rubies and other items - unless I have yet to discover something to do in between killing the last sorcerer and speaking to the emperor. It would be much better to make the palace sequence, which is essentially the boss level, exceedingly difficult, while eliminating all pickups and power ups in the palace. Meh. Still a decent game though.
Waste of time, waste of money
I bought all the starter packs and still hated it. Spent about 2hrs total in game and just couldnt get into it. My first complaint is that there is virtually NO tutorial. My second complaint is that making money is so difficult but everything from vendors is expensive. It took me 2 hours and selling all my gear and everything i picked up from fights and sparkly spots to afford an 11g dagger. My 3rd complaint, that is a bit of my 2nd complaint again is I spent my 4 health pots within the first 2 fights. Getting 1 health pot from a vendor is 2g. You see above my description of how difficult and time consuming getting gold is though. So it got to the point where even doing fights was difficult because i was under equipped with no hp pots and couldnt afford anything. Overall i find it was a waste of time. Also the spiders hop out of nowhere and are creepy as all hell
- Ossian Studios Inc.
- 835.2 MB
- Requires iOS 8.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Frequent/Intense Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © 2013 Ossian Studios Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Warrior Starter Pack $0.99
- Rogue Starter Pack $0.99
- Mage Starter Pack $0.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.