MilGPS is an MGRS/USNG focused premium navigation tool trusted by soldiers, search and rescue personnel and other professional navigators around the world. View your current location and navigate to a waypoint in seconds. Or plan and organize your navigation using the powerful and intuitive mapping and overlay capabilities.
Display your current location in real time
- Cell phone signal not required but will make location fixes faster (maps require a data connection)
- Military Grid Reference System (MGRS) & United States National Grid (USNG) (4, 6 8 10 figure grid references supported)
- Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM)
- Latitude/Longitude (degrees, degrees and minutes, degrees minutes seconds supported)
- Ordnance Survey National Grid (grid and easting/northing in metres)
- Military date time groups for local/zulu time
- All info is displayed in large, clear text for easy viewing at all times
- Location and navigate screens are fully customisable - choose what info you want to see
- Wide variety of datums supported including WGS84, NAD27, OSGB36, AGD66, ED50
- Define up to 3 combinations of datum and location format for location display and waypoint entry
Create and navigate to waypoints
- Unlimited waypoints (upper limit dependent on device storage and memory)
- Enter waypoints from current location, map or using any of the above supported location formats.
- Live update of distance/bearing as you enter coordinates (sanity check your grids)
- Waypoints are fully editable, and can be sorted by distance or name
- "Quick goto" feature for quickly entering grids and navigating to them - accepts shortened MGRS grids.
- Receive an arrival indication as you approach your waypoint
- Import and export waypoints via the standard GPX file format (routes and tracks not currently supported)
- View current location and waypoints on map, complete with custom smooth scrolling grid overlay (MGRS/USNG/OSNG/UTM)
- Choice of Apple or Google maps.
- Use the crosshairs to position new waypoints and measure distances/bearings
- Choose from standard/satellite/hybrid/blank map type
- Grid overlay with labels for grid zones, 100km, 10km, 1km, 100m squares
- Map can be set to follow your current location and/or heading.
- Simple, intuitive interface that can be operated easily with one hand.
- Convert between location formats easily using the add waypoint screen
- Supports degrees/mils for angle, with choice of true, magnetic or grid north reference.
- Supports feet/metres for altitude
- Supports imperial/metric/nautical units for distance
Why choose MilGPS over other apps?
- MilGPS is under active development and testing (since 2010)
- MilGPS is painstakingly crafted by an independent developer
- MilGPS emphasises accuracy, simplicity, ease of use and stability
Things that aren't in the app (yet):
- track recording
- offline maps
- ability to create routes of multiple waypoints
- mapping sources other than Apple and Google maps
NOTE: Mapping function requires a data connection. Using GPS will shorten battery life.
YOUR USE OF MILGPS IS AT YOUR OWN RISK
MilGPS is an aid to navigation only and is intended to be used in conjunction with other navigation methods and tools.
MilGPS must not be used where relying on MilGPS could result in death, injury or financial loss. This includes use on military operations, live-firing activities, aviation and surveying use.
MilGPS is not tested to military specifications and is not endorsed by the military of any nation. MilGPS is not a substitute for military issue equipment.
Your use of MilGPS is governed by the standard App Store Licensed Application End User License Agreement.
Fixed a bug that could prevent map waypoints being selected when tapped.
Fixed a bug that could result in the compass appearing in the wrong position on the navigate screen.
Ratings and Reviews
Initial Impressions: Excellent
Compared to the two GPS apps that I have used often (LandNav and Spyglass), MilGPS immidietly seems superior and best suited for my military training purposes. Readout is HUGE and responsive and I will probably stick with the default look. Maps come up quickly and it was easy to customize (Apple/Google are adequete, but more map choices would be great).
Design layout could be slightly improved by having more intuitive button placements (e.g., Edit Screen is hiding in the Share menu, and cancel button was hard to find on one screen), and maybe a bug: Navigate → Share → Choose Destination Waypoint took me to Overlays (I'm probably missing something).
Ideally, I would like a mini-app to quickly send an 8-digit grid to the clipboard and close, since I share locations often—every step out in the field counts. For my purposes, MilGPS makes sharing an 8-step process (i.e., Open → Share → Share Current Location → Message → Tap x2 in message field → Select All → Isolate MGRS grid → Tap ⌫). MilGPSs is more intuitive than LandNav, but it would be nice to simply 3D touch a readout and send custom data to the clipboard. Future updates perhaps?
Not sure why it took me so long to find this in the App Store. Downloaded USNG first, and then found MilGPS via 'Also by This Developer' in the sidebar.
Kudos to all those who helped develop this app, good job!
On MFing point
I bought this app a few years ago, when I was still in the Army, back then I paid $10. I used it as secondary/backup/check-location-accuracy. Since it was on my phone, it couldn’t be my primary source. My primary source was a wrist Garmin GPS, I would (discreetly) open this app and check my position, both, my Garmin GPS and this app were always on point, may be 1-2 meters off but that’s nothing since we used a 10 meter margin of error. I’ve always loved the satellite image because it allowed us to plan better when picking routes of travel.
For a one time payment, the accuracy it has and all the things you can do, $10 is a steal.
Highly recommend this app, I have and keep doing it when the subject comes up.
It’s a good app and has a lot of features. I love being able to customize the navigation screen especially when working with two gps formats simultaneously. Also, location sharing via text is outstanding and relays all the necessary information.
I don’t feel the UI is very user friendly or intuitive. For example, I am unable to enter coordinates from the map screen. I can place coordinates at my current location and at the crosshairs on the map, but I can’t simply enter coordinates from the map screen. I have to back out to another screen completely. And to copy coordinates from a website and paste into the app is terribly awkward.
In fact, having to enter coordinates quickly is very difficult because of how buried in the UI that feature is. If you’re geocaching and have all day to fiddle with the app to enter coordinates, then you won’t have any problems. If you have to quickly plug in coordinates from your hunting party, a mayday or dispatcher, use another app or gps.
Also, downloadable maps for app use independent of cell service would be helpful in poor coverage areas. Just a thought.
- Cascode Labs Pty Ltd
- 23.3 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, and iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation).
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Cascode Labs Pty Ltd
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.