SymphonyPro 5 is a complete and intuitive app for writing music notation on iPad. It allows you to compose music for just about any size ensemble, from piano, symphonies, band, lead sheets, chord charts, guitar tabs, and more.
Starting Version 5, Symphony Pro now offers handwriting recognition as the only in-app purchase: Perfect with Apple Pencil, and works great with touch or capacitive stylus
SP provides all of the key options to begin your work. Import a score via MusicXML, MXL, MIDI, or SP file from your computer, or from apps like Dropbox, Mail, iCloud Drive, or Safari. You can base your project on a template, or start a blank score and add additional parts later.
To add notes, choose Pencil mode, and tap anywhere on a bar to begin editing right away. You can quickly specify note properties before or after placing notes. By switching to Select mode with one touch, you can also transpose, erase, cut, and paste multiple notes/tracks.
With an on-screen instrument, a QWERTY keyboard, or Core MIDI compatible keyboard, you can quickly enter notes & chords in step entry mode. Record a part in real-time with on-screen instruments to transcribe into notation.
Versions 4 & 5 take greater advantage of the iPad touchscreen. With shortcuts and contextual menus to edit note & bar properties, many of the commonly used editing commands are right at your fingertips.
SP supports a wide range of notational elements for your composition. Including dynamics & articulations, time & key signature changes, clef changes, pedals, and repeat conventions. Edit chord symbols, lyrics, and annotations using the iPad’s standard keyboard.
EXPORT & SHARE
When you’re finished, print out your score with AirPrint, or export it as a PDF, MusicXML, AAC, MIDI, or Symphony file. Share files via email or directly to another computer or iPad via Dropbox/iCloud Drive.
• Introducing Handwriting Recognition for Apple Pencil & touch
• Starting Version 5, Handwriting is the only In-App Purchase to enable the complete app
• Now download SP on your iPhone
• 24+ professionally recorded and sound-designed acoustic instruments, free out of the box
Earlier features offered free, to existing & new owners
• 114 built-in instruments for playback, and auditioning the notes you entered
• Create in standard music notation or tablature
• Edit with an on-screen piano, QWERTY keyboard, or a MIDI input device
• Dozens of shortcuts & gestures to edit & navigate
• Reduce your score size, range, or combination of parts for viewing & editing*
• Print directly to AirPrint
• Up to 48 instruments, 100 staves, 4 voices/layers per score
• Record a part in real-time with clicks at the beat with optional emphasis
• Backup & sync your scores with iCloud*
• Import MusicXML, MIDI, MXL, or Symphony files
• Export as a PDF, MusicXML, MIDI, AAC, or Symphony file
• Large selection of articulations & dynamics
• Multi-measure rests* for parts
• Grace notes
• Customizable notehead symbol & colors
• Chord symbol, lyric, and annotation tools
• Edit the properties of multiple notes and rests simultaneously by multi-note select
• Copy/Paste function supports partial & multi-bar/staff select
• Unlimited undo/redo
• Customizable stem directions & note beaming
• Transposing & concert pitch score option
• Change tempo or clef anywhere in score or bar
• Stream audio or share your screen wirelessly with AirPlay
• Advanced document management
• Create your own custom project template or use a built-in one
• Customizable part groupings for SATB and instrument families
• Customizable chord symbol, lyric, and annotation font
• Loop playback feature
• Auto-save support
* Previously a paid upgrade, but now free starting Version 5
For More information, please visit:
• Facebook page at www.facebook.com/symphonyapp
• Learn about the iPhone-only app: bit.ly/symphonyiphone
- Fixed issue from previous update where new lyrics couldn’t be added
- General bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Great in Theory
But still not there in practice. I was swayed by the purported features but I guess I got had! I completely wasted my money, as the [very important] feature to insert notes live doesn't work and is completely useless. I'm really, really bummed; I'm a lifelong working musician who struggles with notation.. I thought I'd found an app which can help me but I guess not!
Very Good App...But where is Tabs & Percussion??? “Late 2018”
This is a very good app, making it and easy choice coming from Notion app... However, as a music teacher, the need for drum set notation and to a lesser extent Tablature for guitar is a must; I was really hoping to see them as per the developers claim to adding them by “Late 2018” for me this is disappointing. Hope to see these features soon as promised. Peace!
Precisely what I needed
First thing: I never expected this to replace Finale. Finale allows me to do more than should ever be expected of a mobile app.
What I needed was a simpler, easier, and more intuitive notation software that could be used on the iPad, and that could use pencil input. I got exactly that. You can format most of what you need to the way you want.
Drawback: The only serious gripe I have is that I can’t do an instrument-less, single staff format for a song (i.e. for lead sheets).
Developer Response ,
We appreciate your feedback. If your inquiry above was regarding how to convert a grand staff into a single staff part or score, the editing task consists of a few brief steps. Namely, it requires first unlinking the two staves into two parts/instruments before removing the unneeded staff. More detail on how to perform this edit is available under symphonypro.net/manual > 'Part/Instrument Groups'.
We'd be happy to provide illustrated steps pertaining your inquiry or other questions by emailing email@example.com as well.
In-App PurchasesSee All
- Xenon Labs, LLC
- 310.1 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 Xenon Labs, LLC.
- In-App Purchases
- Handwriting Recognition Tool $14.99
- Version 4: Complete Features Bundle Free
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.