WeChat is a messaging and calling app that allows you to easily connect with family & friends across countries. It's the all-in-one communications app for chats, voice and video calls, Moments, photo sharing, and games.
WHY USE WECHAT:
• MULTIMEDIA MESSAGING: Send video, image, text, and voice messages.
• GROUP CHAT & CALLS: Create group chats with up to 500 people and group video calls up to 9 people.
• VOICE & VIDEO CALLS: High-quality calls to anywhere in the world.
• WECHAT OUT CALLS: Make calls to landlines and mobile around the globe at low rates (in certain regions only).
• STICKER GALLERY: Hundreds of fun, animated stickers to express your feelings from some of your favorite cartoons and movies.
• MOMENTS: Share your best moments on your personal photo stream.
• BETTER PRIVACY: WeChat gives you the highest level of control over your privacy. It's the only messaging app to be certified by TRUSTe.
• MEET NEW FRIENDS: Use “Friend Radar”, “People Nearby” and “Shake” to meet others.
• REALTIME LOCATION: Instead of having to tell others where you are, just use real-time location sharing.
• LANGUAGE SUPPORT: Localized in 20 different languages and can translate messages to any language.
• WeRun-WeChat: Access HealthKit data and challenge friends to beat their scores via the "WeRun-WeChat" Official Account.
• AND MORE: Desktop app, custom wallpapers, custom notifications, and Official Accounts.
- Record a “Time Capsule” to chronicle the world through your eyes. “Blow a bubble” when viewing a friend’s Time Capsule to let your friend know you’ve opened it.
- A whole new design with clearer, more intuitive interface
- Configure an alert from a chat’s settings screen for a special alert when receiving a message
- From the stickers panel, create and send a Selfie Sticker
- Long-press the text input bar in a chat to enter a new line break
Ratings and Reviews
I’ve been sitting here for almost an hour trying to unblock my WeChat account because it’s been inactive for roughly six months. I understand having a two-step verification for increased security, but then I get to a page that requests someone else’s phone number who has a WeChat to verify me as a legitimate user, apparently. I use my account to communicate with a small number of people at home while I travel internationally (cheaper than an international phone plan), so this second phone number business really doesn’t work for all people. Does a chat platform like WeChat really need this level of security? I mean, it’s a chatting app, not encrypted CIA documents or something to truly keep under lock and key. Anyway, I’ve done research and found that it’s nearly impossible to unlock an account once this happens. It’s very frustrating that I’m permanently locked out because of this. I’ve just downloaded WhatsApp and will use that for all of my upcoming travels. Just thought I’d share to prevent anyone else from using such a poorly designed system, too.
Usable, but not world-class
By world-class, I mean a kind of messaging app that is easy and smooth to use. WeChat, for the most part, is usable, plus its voice messaging system is very advanced and convenient.
However, on a grander scale, compared to its peers, KakaoTalk and LINE, it just doesn’t stand a chance. To start with, the thing that bothers a lot of people about WeChat is the fact you cannot use its desktop version separately, away from your phone. Every time you try to log into the desktop version, you need to confirm on your phone. This is not needed for either KakaoTalk or LINE. What if I’ve lost my phone and would like to message through my laptop? I hope the developers rethink the concept of keeping a desktop version of this app.
Also, appearance-wise, it is rather dull and just not interesting. Its color theme is sort of depressing compared to its peers, and it doesn’t look as “modern”, so I think could be a contributing factor why people will choose KaokaoTalk or LINE over it.
Great improvements since I originally downloaded
I’ve seen a drastic improvement in the overall app since I began using it 7 months ago. The English version is getting great attention - which I appreciate.
I only have one suggestion and hope for a future update. As someone who is still learning Chinese, the in-chat translate option is a dream. As I find myself in multiple group chats for work where all conversation is in Chinese, I use this feature quite a lot. I do find it annoying having to tab across every time to reach this feature as it is the last option. If there was a way to re-arrange the options when selecting a message/text (for example translate would appear first and be the largest icon rather than copy or multi select(which I rarely ever use).
Overall great app - hope to see the continuous improvements in the future.
- Tencent Technology (Shenzhen) Company Limited
- 245.4 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Chinese (Hong Kong), French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- Copyright © 2011 - 2018 Tencent Inc. All Rights Reserved
- In-App Purchases
- WeChat Out Top-Up Card $0.99
- WeChat Out Top-Up Card $4.99
- WeChat Out Top-Up Card $1.99
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.