Hokusai is a multitrack audio editor for iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. Record or import a track, and make it sound the way you want it to: not just trimming the ends, but full cut, copy, paste and delete, and a suite of filters and special effects available.
"Beautiful clutter-free interface" — TouchProducer.com
"Hokusai will convince you that audio was meant to be edited with a touch screen — it's just so natural within this app that you’ll find yourself consistently coming back to it." — iOS Music And You
Edit many tracks side-by-side, mix them together, and export to Wave or MP4 format — then transfer them to your computer, send them to another app on your device, or upload to cloud services.
Hokusai is streamlined to give you a clean, clear view of your tracks. Use the familiar pinch and swipe gestures to zoom right in and fiddle with fine detail, or step back to see the big picture. Select pieces of audio. Live "scrubbing" means you can hear the sound under your fingertip as you make your adjustments. And you needn't fear a bad edit with our full undo/redo support — even after closing your project.
Hokusai comes free with a set of useful tools such as fade in/out, normalise volume levels, reverse time, and basic synthesis. If you need more power, you can upgrade from inside the app to add new tools and effects, including: Per-track volume/mute/panning, selecting across multiple tracks at once, presets and favourites, grain synthesis, noise gating, time-stretching, pitch-bending, echo, reverb, modulation (AM & FM), resonance, distortion, grunge, vocal levelling, monster voice, high/low/band-pass/notch-cut filter and more — many of which can be previewed live.
This update addresses some performance and stability issues.
In version 2.2:
New for paying customers:
• New: Play back previews of projects at different speeds
• New: Input gain control during recording (for devices which support it)
• New: Import/export effects presets (for making backups & sharing presets with others)
• New: Export Selection command now has choice of .wav or .m4a formats
• New: Commands and keyboard shortcuts to adjust the selection range to sound or silence.
• New: When changing a project’s BPM, Hokusai offers to resample or time stretch the project to the new tempo
• New: Click Track can match its BPM to the project’s
New for all users:
• New: Warns when your device is low on storage space
• New: Option to scroll the screen automatically to follow your finger when you drag the selection near the edge of the screen
• New: Option to scroll the screen automatically during playback to follow the Play Head
• New: Keyboard shortcut to jump to Play Head
• New: Sort projects by name or size (as well as the original, sort by date)
• Accessibility: “Magic Tap” gesture to play/pause audio playback
• Improved some visual elements, including alerts and menus
• Various other small fixes and improvements
Ratings and Reviews
It’s good but it needs improvement
I’ve been using this app for quite a while and so far, my only complaint is that you can’t just simply edit audio from a video on your phone. I always have to download my sounds and music off the internet with another app so I can turn it into an audio file. I shouldn’t have to worry about it when the app should be taking care of this. Also, there is a files app that apple has made where you can move videos to it and it works with Hokusai, but whenever I try to select what I want to edit, the thumbnail is faded and wont let me select it. The app is well organized and is easy to use, but if you can’t edit anything you have on your phone, then what’s the point in downloading the app?
This is THE one
Hidden behind the arcane name is a wonderful app. It will do what you need, even in the free version. It can import/export (uses Files), cut/paste, and lots more. There's a full user manual on-line and pdf, so there are no mysteries. You can expand the track and use audio scrubbing for precise trimming. A minor limitation is that it only saves as m4a (or wav), not mp3. I don't need the full version, but I'd pay a couple of bucks just to give the author a boost. May there should be a tip jar or a minor upgrade available for a lower price.
Hello Diana! Thanks for your kind words, I'm glad to hear you're finding the app useful. If you're serious about wanting to throw a tip into the jar, that's very generous of you! We have another app Hexterity which includes a tip jar you can use, if you like (http://itunes.apple.com/app/id293342071), or if you know anyone who needs the Pro version, it's always appreciated when folks pass along recommendations to their friends!🙂
This is truly a great app!
First time writing an App review.
I tried many free apps for audio editing, but nearly all were trying to push adverts or were just not upto the mark! Too many hidden problems!
This app by Hokusai is a real gem! It does almost everything you might want on the free app, without buying the pro version. I could do trimming, duplicating, pasting, adding tracks together, zooming to see detail in the wave pattern, exporting the finished project as an .mp4 file but still easily playable (after importing individual tracks as mp3). Easy to bring in tracks via WiFi sharing. All of this I could do within a few mins of trial and error practicing. So easy to learn without reading a manual😀👍
Thank you developer for a genuinely great app.
Never asked me to upgrade or buy anything after a full day’s use.
So far, really so good!!
- Wooji Juice Ltd
- 34.9 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2018 Wooji Juice
- In-App Purchases
- Hokusai 2 Pro Pack $9.99
- Hokusai 1 Pro Pack $9.99
- Hokusai 2 Pro Pack (Upgrade) $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.