"It’s kind of like the Garage Band of coding." – Wired
"Codea for iPad is a super slick way to write and run programs on your iPad." – Gizmodo
Codea lets you create games and simulations — or just about any visual idea you have. Turn your thoughts into interactive creations that make use of iPad features like Multi-Touch and the accelerometer.
We think Codea is the most beautiful code editor you'll use, and it's easy. Codea is designed to let you touch your code. Want to change a color, or an image? Tapping will bring up visual editors that let you choose exactly what you want.
Codea is built on the Lua programming language. A simple, elegant language that doesn't rely too much on symbols — a perfect match for iPad.
Here's how you use it: type your code. Press play to watch it run. Interact with it. Get creative.
• A fully featured 2D and 3D renderer
• Lots of great example projects to learn from, including games
• Touch your code: tap colors, images and sounds to adjust them
• Export your finished projects to Xcode to produce real apps
• Complete in-line reference documentation accessible from keyboard
• Intelligent syntax highlighting and auto-completing code editor
• Import your own assets from Dropbox
• Full 2D and 3D physics engines for complex motion
• Add parameters so you can tweak variables at runtime
• Interact with accelerometer and multi-touch on your device
• Generate retro-game sound effects
• GLSL Shader Language support with live shader editor
• Bluetooth keyboard support and keyboard shortcuts
• Air Code: code live from your PC using WiFi
• Much, much more
• Join the forums at http://codea.io/talk to ask questions, share ideas and get help when you need it
• If you would like to help translate Codea into your language please join the translation effort at http://translate.twolivesleft.com
• If you need help or wish to get in contact with us, please use the support link on this page
• Autocomplete now completes from dependencies as well as your main project. How did we not have this before?
• Fixed a Find/Replace crash on iOS 9
• Some editor scrolling bugs came to light and were fixed, especially relating to selecting results from the find/replace sidebar
• Invoking find/replace from the keyboard shortcut should work now
• Hides the Materials pack from the Shader Lab. Shader Lab isn't built to handle those, yet
Ratings and Reviews
It’s very versatile and powerful! I’m very glad that it includes references and examples, as they are VERY helpful. One question, though, does this support Mfi controllers? If not, is there a possibility of that being a feature?
The best coding on iPad app I've seen.
So many apps on iPad but this is the only one that's versatile, practical and makes most sense.
Glad you like it. Can't wait to get the next version to you.
Needs a tutorial
The app is great. Does what it says, but it lacks a tutorial.
Sorry about the lack of tutorials. I'd love to hear about which parts of Codea were difficult for you to learn so we can focus on those.
- Two Lives Left
- 138.9 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- English, Catalan, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 Two Lives Left
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.