By Facebook, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Instantly connect with the people in your life. Messenger is free, fast, and secure.
- Reach anyone. You can use names or phone numbers to find friends.
- Use everywhere. Messenger works across all mobile and desktop devices. You can even connect with people internationally!
- Connect however you want. Send a text message, share a photo, or start a video chat — all in Messenger.
- Communicate better with groups. Catch up in real time with high quality group video chat or customize your messaging experience with colors, nicknames, and group photos.
- Call and video chat your friends 1:1 or in groups. It's free over Wi-Fi (otherwise standard data charges apply), so talk as long as you want, even with people in other countries.
- Express yourself. Send emojis, stickers, and GIFs to conversations or add new masks and effects to your video chats.
- Capture photos and videos with fun art and effects. You can save these to camera roll, send to conversations, or post to your Day, a place where people can see what you're up to.
- Play games and compete with your friends. You can compare scores and see how you rank against other people.
- Chat with businesses. You can make reservations, check on orders, and get real-time customer service.
What's New in Version 131.0
We update the app regularly so we can make it better for you. Get the latest version for all of the available Messenger features. Thanks for using Messenger!
Can I please just use the Facebook app without having to install this one every time to see my messages? I never chat with my friends on Facebook, so if I get a once in a blue moon message I check it in case it's important. I hate that in order to check my messages I have to have a whole separate app. It's a waste of space and data if you ask me. Plus the privacy is terrible. Because I accepted a chat from my annoying coworker once to tell him I don't want to add him as a friend, now I can't get it to where he nor anyone else can't tell when I'm on. It's an annoyance that makes it really easy for annoying people to know when I'm on and bother me. I liked it so much better when it was just a small chat box I can easily hide myself on and still check my messages. Like on a desktop. Too bad I don't have access to an actual computer all the time. So it's either have this useless app and be bugged every time I open it; or never be able to check messages on those now rare occasions when I'm using the Facebook app. I've chosen the latter.
DO NOT DOWNLOAD
This app pretends to offer choice but it does not. It claims to offer privacy and it does not. It provides no actual function while using an incredibly large amount of your data. This application exists to drive you from Facebook and into the handwritten letter. Get out your quill and walk away. DO NOT DOWNLOAD!
Look closely at the positive reviews. They are not from actual people. The one star reviews list specific reasons why this app is a monster. All of the five star reviews say they love it in such a general way. "Me gusta!", reads one. The closest thing to a reason why users would want a working function removed and a barrier with multiple steps put between them and messages is a possible "20-30% increase" in speed of delivery. I might get my mail from the post office 20-30% quicker if I tied myself to the mailbox and slept in the driveway but that doesn't make it a smart idea.
No me gusta.
Why is Facebook forcing users to have BOTH apps
I have the Facebook app, and due to space limitations on my iPhone, I don't want to download an additional app. Especially since they are trying to copy Snapchat and make it unnecessarily complicated for some reason. I used to check my messages by going to safari and viewing it on the mobile website. However, they have recently removed that feature and are forcing you to download the app to view messages. I just want a simple interface to view and reply to messages, a simple app that does the job without adding unnecessary bloat ware that takes up all the space.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Aug 16, 2017
- Version: 131.0
- Size: 249 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Arabic, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Tagalog, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Facebook, Inc.
- © Facebook, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.