Murky Reef is unique in seamlessly blending reading, science, language arts, math and critical thinking skills with interactive and engaging game play ALL in one app!
For ages: 6-9 years
Also recommended for kids 9 years & up with cognitive developmental delays
-Murky Reef is EdTech Digest Awards 2012 finalist in mobile apps category.
What people are saying:
-Famigo APProved with 5-STAR rating!!
"Murky Reef is one of the best critical thinking apps."
-TheOnlineMom.com: Featured as "App of the Week"
Awesome educational app, consistently capitalizes on “teachable moments”, retains its high entertainment value by engaging the user’s imagination.
-AppsForHomeSchooling.com gives 5-STAR rating!!!
"Murky Reef is an incredibly fun educational app that really draws children right into the action."
View video demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkOSK6pwsqk
- True 21st century multi-media learning using informational text, interactive graphics, audio, curated & safe videos and of course games!
- Interactive play in a coral reef with shark, pufferfish, cleaner fish and more.
- Math & Language Arts content aligned with Common core standards.
- Carefully structured questioning that fosters critical thinking.
- Progress report across activities and across skill set.
- Ideal for classrooms with support for 10 student profiles.
- 22 cross-curricular games that are fact-filled and fun.
- Thrilling interactions - Make shark teeth fall off, inflate a pufferfish, make an octopus squirt ink, touch jellyfish and more!)
- Win sea creatures and learn tons more about each of them
* Coral reef ecosystem
* Habitat, prey-predator relationship
* Interesting sea animals like pufferfish, cleaner fish etc.
* Sharks - types, habitat, fascinating attributes, body anatomy
* Number sense (Can you count, compare and compose numbers?)
*Arithmetic (Add & subtract 1-20 quickly. Use sea stars and sea snake number line to answer!)
* Number patterns (Counting in 2s, 5s, 10s, 100s, forwards & backwards counting)
* Addition/Subtraction grid (Analyze a grid, do mental math & spot the equation)
In Language Arts:
* Read and be quizzed on comprehension
* Words & letters. Perceiving & discerning letters in various words (Did you realize that 2 words can have common letters but differ in just 1 letter? Think ROSE and SOAR! Compare and deduce.)
* Spot rhyming words (Do BAT and COT rhyme? You tell me...) from a large list of word families.
* Sight word search (Can you find the word ABOUT lost in this grid of letters? Spell and find!)
* Vocabulary (This app is all about sea creatures. Turtles have “fl_ppers”. What is the missing letter? Think & spell)
* Sentence structure & composition (Sentences start with capitalized letter & may end with a period. Now create a sentence!)
* Game on word synthesis (Do you like anagrams and crosswords? Here is a simplified version for your thriving kid! Challenge her/him!)
* Mental Math & Math Facts( with & without manipulatives)
* Logical deduction
* Reading and listening comprehension
* Analysis & Application of knowledge
NOTE on videos: The videos are carefully curated and are kid-friendly. Playing the videos requires Wi-Fi connection.
NOTE to teachers: This app is designed with Bloom's taxonomy in mind as applicable to 5-8 year olds. We have addressed 4 levels of Bloom's taxonomy - knowledge, comprehension, analysis, and application through various activities in this app. Please feel free to provide your critical and valuable feedback.
You can learn more about Murky Reef and the design goals behind the games at http://frolyc.tumblr.com/
Youtube Videos will now play. Fixed the problem with youtube player
Ratings and Reviews
My daughter gives this 2 thumbs up!
My daughter absolutely LOVED this app! She learned a lot and enjoyed the game (knowledge based tests) at the end of each segment. The knowledge base is deep, but with clear, simple language that can engage children of many ages, not just younger ones. It is great scope since it weave together reading, science and math goals. My daughter has a physical disability and she was able to do some of the things with help, but she would have been content listening to the stories and watching someone try to compete in the timed games and see how they scored. The printed stats when done is great way to track progress and comprehension. Looking forward to more like this!
Comprehensive and fun!
All of my kids (even the ten year old!) like this app! They like to beat the shark and love collecting different fish! But, what I like is that it touches on several skills, plus has additional video elements and instructional clips about aquatic marine life! AND there are links to educational videos from (I think) national geographic if your kiddo wants to hear more on a topic! Very in-depth! Thanks and I definitely look forward to seeing something for the fourth and fifth grade range!
Creative Educational App!
This is an incredible app! The educational games are designed with such creativity. My child loves this app and has learned so much about marine life through these engaging challenges. Your children will love the variety of the games and the added bonus of acquiring a collection of sea creatures!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.