Dictionary and Thesaurus Pro
By Farlex, Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Get the world's most comprehensive ad-free dictionary and thesaurus with extensive offline dictionary content and synonyms. Dictionary Pro is the premium version of The Free Dictionary app, featuring:
* No ads.
* A comprehensive English offline dictionary and offline thesaurus.
* Offline dictionaries in 13 other languages.
* Offline translations of English into more than 40 languages.
* Dozens of other offline translation options.
Rated #1 app in the App Store in the paid reference category in 97 countries 2011–2017 (Source: http://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/492085918/app-ranking/#device=iphone&type=best-ranks)
Plus TheFreeDictionary's classic app content:
* Find every word you search for. Get results from trusted sources:
The American Heritage Dictionary
+ More than 100 dictionaries and encyclopedias from these top publishers:
Cambridge University Press
Columbia University Press
* Learn the word. Clear definitions, example sentences, etymologies, illustrations, and more.
* Learn how to say it. Play audio pronunciations and hear it pronounced.
* Learn something new. Word of the Day and other fresh daily content.
* Find the perfect synonym fast. East-to-use Thesaurus with synonyms, antonyms, and related words.
* Explore topics in-depth. Multiple specialty dictionaries and encyclopedias:
Acronyms and Abbreviations
* Watch idioms in action. View idioms videos inside the app and see idioms and slang explained.
* Play word games. Spelling Bee, Hangman, and more.
* Access dictionaries in 13 other languages, including:
What makes Dictionary Pro the most user-friendly dictionary app?
* Instantly look up words in apps or webpages! Just highlight the word you want to look up, tap "Share," then tap "More" in the bottom menu and turn on the "Define" option. You will then see a "Define" icon in the menu. Tap it to see the definition of the highlighted word!
* Voice search. Just say the word to look it up.
* Advanced Search options.
* Look up the definition of any word on the page. Just highlight and tap "Definition."
* Save bookmarks with one tap and sync them to all your devices.
* Customize your homepage: Move, add, or remove articles, games, even local weather.
* Jump to Definition, Thesaurus, or Translations with one button.
* Navigate the app in more than a dozen languages with the multilingual interface.
* Adjust font size.
* Share your favorite definitions and articles via social networks, email, or text.
* Earn meals for hungry children through The Free Dictionary's partnership with the World Food Program—just by using the app!
Read our reviews to see why our users say this is the best dictionary app they've ever used.
How do we do it?
Farlex is a leader in dictionary apps. We work with the best publishers to bring together trusted content in the most comprehensive, authoritative dictionary apps on the market. Find our other apps by searching "Dictionary by Farlex" in the App Store.
* For app developers: The Free Dictionary app can be accessed by other apps with API calls (Contact Farlex for instructions).
What's New in Version 7.0
* You can now save bookmarks with one tap!
* Bookmark lists: Create separate lists to organize your bookmarks.
* Anchored browsing: Return to your exact place on a previous page.
* Notifications now open the item instead of the homepage.
* If you like The Free Dictionary Pro, please rate it 5 stars in the App Store! If you have any problems or questions, please use the "Feedback" option in the settings menu to email support[at]tfd[dot]com. You'll be amazed how quickly we reply!
Best dictionary app
This is my favorite mobile dictionary in the app store. Almost all the words I've come across are accompanied by their etymological origins, and there's a bounty of archaic words as well. My one critique is the Quote of the Day. I have saved a bunch of the ones I've seen so far, but I'd like a little more variety. I've seen quotes from Ambrose Bierce and Virginia Woolfe multiple times in one month.
I suggest the ability for users to submit their own favorite quotes to be reviewed and possibly scheduled for future days.
Offline mode - online mode
I use this on the job on my iPad Pro. Overall very good except for one thing. I frequently am in and out of wi-fi in meetings where I use this app. Unfortunately, the app does not automatically switch between the two conditions requiring the user to tap into the settings, which is cumbersome. Also, the offline mode has a different visual interface that is harder to grasp. It seems the offline mode has fewer entries as well but that may just be my perception.
Superlative app!! 👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾
I’ve been using the free dictionary app for over a year and I have never been more enthralled with an app likeI am with this one. It has drastically improved my lexicon! I would love to see a “return to the top” tab when you reach the bottom of the page in the next update. Keep up the brilliant work!!
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Oct 17, 2017
- Version: 7.0
- Size: 14.5 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Turkish
- Seller: Farlex, Inc.
- © 2017 Farlex, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.