Dictionary and Thesaurus Pro - Offline & Ad-Free
By Farlex, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Get the world's most comprehensive ad-free dictionary and thesaurus with extensive offline dictionary content and synonyms. Dictionary Pro is the premium version of The Free Dictionary app, featuring:
* No ads.
* A comprehensive English offline dictionary and offline thesaurus.
* Offline dictionaries in 13 other languages.
* Offline translations of English into more than 40 languages.
* Dozens of other offline translation options.
Rated #1 app in the App Store in the paid reference category in 93 countries 2011–2016 (Source: http://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/492085918/app-ranking/#device=iphone&type=best-ranks)
Plus TheFreeDictionary's classic app content:
* Find every word you search for. Get results from trusted sources:
The American Heritage Dictionary
+ More than 100 dictionaries and encyclopedias from these top publishers:
Cambridge University Press
Columbia University Press
* Learn the word. Clear definitions, example sentences, etymologies, illustrations, and more.
* Learn how to say it. Play audio pronunciations and hear it pronounced.
* Learn something new. Word of the Day and other fresh daily content.
* Find the perfect synonym fast. East-to-use Thesaurus with synonyms, antonyms, and related words.
* Explore topics in-depth. Multiple specialty dictionaries and encyclopedias:
Acronyms and Abbreviations
* Watch idioms in action. View idioms videos inside the app and see idioms and slang explained.
* Play word games. Spelling Bee, Hangman, and more.
* Access dictionaries in 13 other languages, including:
What makes Dictionary Pro the most user-friendly dictionary app?
* Instantly look up words in apps or webpages! Just highlight the word you want to look up, tap "Share," then tap "More" in the bottom menu and turn on the "Define" option. You will then see a "Define" icon in the menu. Tap it to see the definition of the highlighted word!
* Voice search. Just say the word to look it up.
* Advanced Search options.
* Look up the definition of any word on the page. Just highlight and tap "Definition."
* Save unlimited bookmarks.
* Customize your homepage: Move, add, or remove articles, games, even local weather.
* Jump to Definition, Thesaurus, or Translations with one button.
* Navigate the app in more than a dozen languages with the multilingual interface.
* Adjust font size.
* Share your favorite definitions and articles via social networks, email, or text.
* Earn meals for hungry children through The Free Dictionary's partnership with the World Food Program—just by using the app!
Read our reviews to see why our users say this is the best dictionary app they've ever used.
How do we do it?
Farlex is a leader in dictionary apps. We work with the best publishers to bring together trusted content in the most comprehensive, authoritative dictionary apps on the market. Find our other apps by searching "Dictionary by Farlex" in the App Store.
* For app developers: The Free Dictionary app can be accessed by other apps with API calls (Contact Farlex for instructions).
What's New in Version 6.1.1
* Fixed audio pronunciation bug.
* Fixed notifications bug.
* If you like Dictionary Pro, please rate it 5 stars in the App Store! We read every single review we receive, but unfortunately the App Store does not give us the ability to respond. If you have any problems or questions, please use the "Feedback" option in the settings menu to email support[at]tfd[dot]com. You'll be amazed how quickly we reply!
Extraordinary App! Simply awesome
The Free Dictionary is an app with true style!. Not only is it beautiful to look at, it's well thought out and very user friendly. The developers truly put some thought into this one! It's truly not just a dictionary. The quotes, articles, word games, even horoscope, all make it fun!. If you are like me, you know you need help in spelling and your vocabulary but you just can't seem to take the time or want to make the effort. This app will change all of that! I truly use it everyday!. And the articles, games, etc those too I use everyday. I have had both the free and the Pro versions. I travel a lot so am often without internet or unable to communicate in a foreign language. The Pro app takes care of that!. Thank you Developers for an amazing app!. There is a good reason this app has mainly five stars!. You will not be sorry with this amazing app!
I used to work as an editor and have something of a fetish for dictionaries. The two highest compliments I can pay to any dictionary — either electronic or dead tree — are these: (1) I use it multiple times per day, and (2) I find myself browsing for the pure fun of it. (Fellow dictionary lovers will know what I mean.) Farlex's wins on both counts. Comprehensive, compiled from reliable sources (e.g. Webster's, Roget's), quick and simple interface — already these set it apart from many others. In addition, it provides accurate etymologies, a generous thesaurus, a fine assortment of dictionaries in other languages, and surprisingly good translations. The offline mode is particularly welcome. I haven't explored its many other features, but these are enough to set it apart. Not only is this the best dictionary app I've ever tried, it's one of the most useful reference apps of any kind. Full marks!
Good Dictionary But Needs Tweaking
This dictionary is a cost effective and valuable addition to my Apps. It also has Word Skill games and daily articles aimed at increasing one's knowledge that make it a very nice dictionary indeed.
However, while I love using this dictionary, sometimes I am frustrated by going to one word only to be directed to another word and then be redirected to yet another word.
Also, the references they provide often do not lend any help towards the meaning given:
For example: When I looked up "ami" the dictionary gave me the meaning "a male friend" without any mention of its origins. In addition, the "References in Periodicals Archive" gave me this: By licensing the ARM7TDMI microprocessor core and the ARM922T microprocessor core, AMIS will be able to offer its customers the ability to translate ARM7TDMI core-based FPGA designs and ARM922T core-based FPGA designs to AMIS ASICs by using its highly developed FPGA-to-ASIC conversion capability."
How on Earth does the above relate to the meaning given? It doesn't, of course. For those trying to learn any new word, the reference section is often confusing and frustrating.
Don't get me wrong. I consider this dictionary very valuable to increasing my knowledge and keeping up the skills I already have. I also enjoy the low cost ad-free version.
It just needs some attention to detail and tweaking to make even better.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Oct 24, 2016
- Version: 6.1.1
- Size: 13.7 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Turkish
- Seller: Farlex, Inc.
- © 2016 Farlex, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.