Waygo - Chinese, Japanese, and Korean Translator
By Translate Abroad
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Waygo is the award winning leader in visual translation services, your offline travel translator and dictionary app for Chinese, Japanese and Korean. Our technology allows you to hover your phone's camera over foreign text and instantly translate and read that text in English.
Real customer reviews:
"It was my 'Life Saver' in my trip to China..."
"Using it now in Japan!. So worth the cost of unlimited translations..."
"A must for travel to China..."
"Happy User. Perfect! Very Useful!"
Perfect for travel in China, Japan and Korea, you can instantly read text using our visual translator and learn the language. No data connection needed. Translate Chinese, Japanese or Korean into English offline when traveling in Asia.
Why should I choose Waygo?
- Free to download and try with all languages and features included
- Instant offline OCR and translation that we built from the ground up
- Chinese, Cantonese, Japanese, Kanji, Korean
- Use your video camera as a visual translator or dictionary
- No data connection required
- Translate any menu or sign and never feel lost in translation again
- See pictures of the food dish you are translating (Chinese only)
- See and hear the pronunciation of the words
- Simply point and translate foreign text to English
- Share your translations through SMS, Facebook, Twitter and Email
We have been featured repeatedly in ABC News, The New York Times, TechCrunch, The Next Web, BBC, Tech In Asia, GigaOm, Forbes, Technode, e27 and VentureBeat.
This free trial is limited to 10 daily translations. Select your language from the top menu. Upgrade to unlimited translations through the in app purchases in the settings menu.
Waygo Camera Translator is compatible with iOS devices running iOS 8.0 and up, as long as they have a rear-facing camera.
1. Best used on clear Chinese, Japanese and Korean text (currently does not recognize stylized fonts or handwriting)
2. Intended for use on printed text, not computer screens
3. Designed for clear menus, signs and labels, not books or complicated text
4. If the text is small, hold the phone further away and use the zoom to translate more clearly
5. If text is blurry, tap the screen to focus
- Chinese (Simplified) to English
- Chinese (Traditional) to English
- Japanese to English
- Korean to English
- more coming soon!
Go to www.WaygoApp.com/menu to try Waygo translator now on a sample Chinese menu.
* Twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/WaygoApp
* Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WaygoApp
NOTE FROM THE DEVELOPERS
We appreciate your feedback. Please send any questions or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
What's New in Version 6.16
* Fixed a bug in Capture and Library mode where no translations were returned if there was a cloud server error
* Other bug fixes
Very helpful for signs and menus
I also use it to translate text in some pictures posted on WeChat
Does not work for Japanese
I've lived and worked in Japan for years and have had this app for a long time now. It has never translated anything I needed, ever! Today I needed a few very simple Kanji translated from an appliance. I've studied Japanese for years, but I did not know a couple simple Kanji. My wife (Japanese) helped me, saying these were 2nd grade Kanji and was very surprised an app advertised with this capability could not recognize it.
Try it if you want, just be warned that it WILL NOT help you when you need it and for the love of God don't use it as a study aid as when, if ever, it does give a result, it will either be totally incorrect or very strange. A perfect example of this would be a string a kanji and hiragana but like only recognizing some characters that it translated to make another word, etc. In English, it would be like seeing, "translate" but the app only sees the letters, "ran" in the word and confidently telling you that, "ran" is what that word says.
Does not work for Chinese
Live in China. Doesn't work for most fonts. Very awful recognition. I'm better off using Baidu translate and typing each character out into my phone. 10/10 would not recommend wasting your time and money.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Travel
- Updated: Nov 23, 2016
- Version: 6.16
- Size: 54.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Translate Abroad, Inc.
- © Translate Abroad, Inc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- All Languages$11.99
- One Week Use$1.99