Master Password •••| — Nothing to lose, nothing to intercept.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
TL;DR – Master Password is not another password manager. This app will replace all your passwords with new strong passwords generated from your new master password; passwords are stored nowhere and need no sync, cloud or backups.
This app will securely generate strong and unique passwords for any purpose, in a way that nobody can log or trace.
Better yet, even if you somehow lose everything, you can effortlessly recreate all your passwords.
WHY MASTER PASSWORD?
Master Password is unique in the way it solves the password problem.
The algorithm it uses was specifically designed to combat the drawbacks other password managers suffer from:
• Vault apps (eg. 1Password): You need to sync and make backups to avoid losing everything. Without access to the vault, no passwords.
• Cloud apps (eg. LastPass): You need to trust they don't listen in or get gagged and compelled to. No Internet, no passwords.
By using a unique cryptographic algorithm, Master Password generates the password for your site ON-DEMAND, completely OFF-LINE and using nothing but your name and master password.
That means your passwords are not stored on your phone, there's nothing to keep in sync, no reliance on a third party, no need for syncing, copying or backing up. If your phone gets stolen or confiscated, there are no passwords in the app.
Master Password can also:
• Generate a user name for your sites, so you can't forget it or to provide additional anonymity.
• Generate answers to security questions, so you don't need to share your private life experiences under the false veil of "security".
WHY DO I NEED A PASSWORD APP?
• Re-using a memorable password is like giving everyone your car keys.
• Inventing many good passwords is difficult; remembering them, almost impossible.
• "Clever" encoding schemes such as Tr0ub4dor&3 don’t work either: criminals know we do this and brute-force it with ease.
IS MASTER PASSWORD SAFE?
There is a lot more to safety than using "military grade encryption".
• Strong passwords: They are too expensive for hackers to reverse.
• Not saved: Thieves or officials confiscating your hardware will find no secrets on it.
• Ubiquitous: You can use ANY device to instantly calculate your site passwords.
• Save custom passwords: They are AES-encrypted and saved.
• Strong protections: Salting and key derivation keep your master password safe.
• Free Software: Source available and evaluated by independent experts. There is no fairy dust, only mathematical precision.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Master Password is based on a cryptographic algorithm hardened against all forms of attacks, including brute-force, rainbow tables, length extension, cypher weaknesses, expensive computing power, etc.
In its essence, Master Password is based on:
ENCODE( HMAC-SHA256( SCRYPT( masterPassword, userName ), siteName | siteCounter ), siteTemplate )
This is a simplified representation. See http://masterpasswordapp.com/algorithm.html for more information.
‣ Don't reuse an old password as your new master password.
‣ Check out the App Store on your Mac or the homepage for the desktop version.
‣ A short sentence is a great master password! Quick to type and easily recalled, eg. banana colored duckling
What's New in Version 2.1.88
– An issue that could cause data loss when upgrading.
– A potential crash when importing sites.
– A few other rare bugs.
Use this app? DON'T DISABLE I ICLOUD!
With Master Password deciding to fix what isn't broken, they will bother you repetitively to disable ICloud. DON'T DO IT!
I did it, and I lost all my passwords. I was able to turn ICloud back on for the app, luckily, but with them soon disabling it entirely for their app, you WILL lose all your passwords! Save them, and possibly find a new app. I've used this for a while for reliability, but this has shown they are not as reliable as they were.
UPDATE: I thought I submitted my updated review some time ago, but it appears I did not. After searching through the settings, I managed to safely disable ICloud and have it all squared away nicely, however when it pops up to disable it, doing it that way will delete your passwords.
Amazing Password Generation
This is a truly powerful app!
It allows the user to choose passwords generated at a variety of increasing algorithmic strengths, as needed, producing passwords nearly completely impervious to any imaginable attack. Obviously higher order strengths lengthen the time required to break it but I have found that this is not the app's problem but rather the website that requires such weak passwords to be used in the first place. I prefer to use the maximum setting for every website and if the website chokes I argue with those owners whether they need my information at all.
Passwords generated with weaker algorithms (within the app) must be replaced more often at websites where weaker passwords are required. It has taken me awhile to appreciate the distinction but this app at it's maximum setting can generate extremely strong passwords quite beyond the settings and capacity of some websites to hold them. This is a limitation of the website not the app.
Ars Technica & other sites have documented where some well known companies keep their password requirements weak - out of intention (as it costs them money to reprogram their respective online systems to store more complex passwords which allows them to view more easily accounts which consumers otherwise believe to be private).
Master Password is great at seeing this need to defend oneself with the highest possible algorithms AND a means to implement one's own strategy to protect one's data which may have to reside in institutions with poor security rules.
I've been using MP to great satisfaction for sometime now.
Get Master Password and adamantly defend your data !! No one has as much an interest in defending your data as you do!
Great idea and very good app
Much better than password lockers. Runs on desktop too. Source code and design is completely documented and open.
Touch ID support and a couple of other features will make this a 5/5 app.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Oct 23, 2014
- Version: 2.1.88
- Size: 12.9 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Maarten Billemont
- © 2011-2014, Lyndir
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- Generate Login Names$0.99
- Generate Security Answers$1.99
- Development Fuel$0.99