The Boston Globe ePaper
By Globe Newspaper Company, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
• The ePaper is a full replica edition including articles and pages as they appeared in print, including the Sunday Comics.
• The ePaper is free for Boston Globe digital subscribers and many print subscribers. Simply sign-in using your BostonGlobe.com account.
• To connect your BostonGlobe.com account, enter your Boston Globe account information on the Subscriber Login page.
• One-month subscriptions are available for $14.99 per month. One-month subscriptions automatically renew at $14.99 per month until cancelled*
• Read stories in the Page view or Article view.
• Share articles via email and social media.
• Recent back issues are available for download from the archive by tapping "More".
*Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase. Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period. Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to Account Settings after purchase. No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication.
**Progressive download has been disabled for iPad 2 and iPad mini (1) and will be restored in a future update of the app.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 5.1
• Bug fixes
• Pinch and zoom improvements
• Addressed issues that caused iPad 2 and iPad mini to crash**
More improvements to come: Please continue to send feedback via Settings > Feedback in the app.
worst newspaper app
This is completely unnavigable. A really, really awful newspaper app.
1. Freezes frequently so I can't open articles or move to the next article.
2. While I can change the text size so I can actually read it, when I go to another article, it defaults back to the small text size, so I have to adjust the size of each and every article I read.
3. Scrolling through articles (as opposed to pages) doesn't show every page. For example, you can't see the comics this way.
4. Navigation between sections is hard because the menu is not labelled in a way that you know what is in each section.
5. Back to comics: almost impossible to find. There is no index. All you can do is scroll through pages until you happen upon them. Only the app freezes pages all the time so you can't actually swipe through.
6. The thumbnails on the bottom appear when you open the edition. When you close them--so that you can actually see the page--there appears to be no way to get them back except by going back to the homescreen and starting over again.
I am sure there are many, many other problems here. I don't know why smaller town papers have much better e-readers. The Union Leader, for example, which is a terrible paper, has a great e-reader.
Very, very, very disappointed and we will probably not renew our subscription because of this unreadable app.
Please test app before foisting on us.
Again, the application crashes whenever I try to open the daily download. By far, the worst performing application on my desktop.
On average, I have a problem with downloading the current day's issue once every two weeks. That's about a 7% failure rate, with which the Globe apparently is OK. Seems a little high to me.
For example, today's edition will not download. In the process of downloading, it continues to switc to "Pause". No explanation, no communication from the newspaper (maybe it's only me with the issue, but I doubt it from the tone of many other reviews here). Other days, the current issue does not arrive until late in the day, if at all.
In the future, please test the application and issue fixes or patches to correct.
This app has become incredibly irritating. I pay for a subscription and trying to read the paper in the morning has become an up enjoyable and frustrating experience each day. The app constantly crashes. I am sure it crashed more than 20 times this morning and then you have to reopen and start from page one each time. Up until a week ago I had to re-download the app every day because it wouldn't load. That seems fixed but this is much more frustrating because now I have to constantly reopen the app. The daily delivery service was a mess a few months ago, now the app is a complete disaster what is going on at the Globe? Are they losing money and not investing properly in important subscriber services?
- Category: News
- Updated: Mar 01, 2016
- Version: 5.1
- Size: 11.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Globe Newspaper Company, Inc.
- © The Globe Newspaper Co. 2014
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Boston Globe$14.99
- Boston Globe Single Copy$0.99