By E.W. Scripps Company
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Named by Time.com's @Techland as one of the best weather apps for Your iPhone. And now the first app to give you severe weather alerts for your Apple Watch.
Severe weather alerts for your exact location. Storm Shield Weather Radio gives you storm-based alerts for tornado, hurricane, flood, thunderstorm, winter storms and other life-threatening weather events via voice and push notification.
Storm-based or polygon alerts help reduce false alarms by alerting you to severe weather based on your exact location within a county. Many other products still use county-based alerts (meaning you'd get an alert even if your location in the county is not within the threatened area).
What people are saying:
• Storm Shield "can keep you appraised of everything from severe thunderstorms to flash flooding... this kind of information can be a life-saver, as many of its loyal users have already attested." - Time.com
• Storm Shield "alerted our family of the Broken Arrow, OK tornado, faster than the TV and tornado sirens." - Robyn, Broken Arrow, OK resident
• "I was in Oklahoma City during the tornado... we were right in its path. Your app literally was a life saver." - dcalk12
• Get NOAA alerts via voice and push notification no matter where you are in the United States.
• With Storm Shield's Apple Watch extension get a tap on your wrist any time severe weather alerts are issued for your locations.
• Share severe weather alerts with your family and friends to make sure they stay safe.
• Beautifully sharp radar map as your home screen so you can immediately see what's going on at your current and saved locations.
• Share your radar view with family and friends when severe weather is affecting them.
• See where NOAA watches and warnings are issued by switching map overlays.
• See Hurricane and Tropical Storm forecast tracks.
• Save five additional locations to make sure friends and family at home, work, or out of state stay safe.
• School Closings for Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Denver, Detroit, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Tulsa and Buffalo.
• View current conditions, hourly and daily forecasts.
• Severe weather forecasts in the app. Know where bad weather will occur before you travel with forecasts by our Storm Shield Meteorologist.
• Watch live video streams when available (usually during local coverage of severe weather in most cities listed below).
• Storm Shield uses iOS Significant-Change Location and Background Refresh (not GPS) to balance location accuracy and battery life.
• Turn off Background Tracking and instead set one of your five locations to where you are most often.
Storm Shield is made possible by The E.W. Scripps Company, including WCPO Cincinnati, KNXV ABC15 Phoenix, WEWS Newsnet5 Cleveland, WXYZ Detroit, KJRH Tulsa, KMGH ABC7 Denver, KGTV ABC10 San Diego, KERO 23 Bakersfield, WMAR ABC2 Baltimore, WFTS ABCActionNews Tampa, WPTV News Channel 5 West Palm Beach, WRTV RTV6 The IndyChannel Indianapolis, KSHB 41 Action News Kansas City, WKBW Buffalo, WTVF Nashville, KMTV ActionNews Omaha, WSYM Fox47 News Lansing-Jackson, WFTX Fox 4 Ft. Myers, WTMJ Milwaukee, WGBA NBC26 Green Bay, KIVI Fox9 On Your Side Boise, KTNV 13 ActionNews Las Vegas, KGUN 9 On Your Side Tucson, and KTTS Springfield.
View our Support FAQs at support.stormshieldapp.com, and get tips, updates and more on our Storm Shield Facebook page.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 3.6.4
• We've made enhancements to resolve the slow radar display that some users were experiencing. Thanks for your patience as we worked hard to squash this bug.
• Fixes an issue with some users not receiving push notifications.
• Additional performance enhancements and squashed a few miscellaneous bugs.
Thanks for all your feedback from the last release and keep your feedback coming! We are working hard to make the product better with each update.
• Storm Shield is now on Apple Watch! Get a tap on your wrist from Storm Shield’s Apple Watch extension when you receive severe weather alerts. Quickly see in glance view how many active alerts exist across all your current and saved locations in Storm Shield.
• We've expanded the daily forecast up to 7 days, thanks for your feedback! We've also adjusted the map's default zoom so you can see more of the weather that's coming toward your location.
• We made it easier to adjust the pin drop when creating a new saved location. Now you just move the map instead of having to awkwardly double-tap and drag the pin.
• Accessibility and VoiceOver enhancements for our visually impaired users. A special shout-out and thanks to all our beta testers for your valued feedback on these accessibility improvements!
• Performance upgrades to weather radar display.
• Squashed some bugs and app crashes that were affecting some users from the previous update.
• Squashed more bugs and fixed app crashes.
• When creating a saved location, the red location pin will now remain precisely where you move the pin to if you are trying to move the default placement of the pin.
I live in Florida, where we get severe thunderstorms, tornadoes and the occasional hurricane. The alerts I get are specific to exactly where I am, so I don't get useless alerts about sever weather a few miles away.
Plus, I added a location for where my sister lives in St. Louis and just yesterday got an alert about a tornado watch in her neighborhood. This pinpoint info is really valuable and I bought a gift copy for her since they get so many tornadoes.
I also like that when my local TV station is broadcasting about severe weather, I can watch it right in the app.
This app does what it claims however a couple of tweaks are woeful missing despite numerous request! The current temperature is displayed on the icon of MANY iPhone weather apps. Moreover, the ability to access weather info in the Notification Area is likewise missing!
I use "eWeather HD" for most of my weather info and only have Storm Shield due to NOAA alerts. Oh how I wish Storm Shield would join the party and get up to date!
Latest update: STILL No "widget"... No "Display of Live Temperature on the Home screen icon"......BAD!!!!
New radar is blazing fast!!
My number one complaint was the slow loading radar. Thanks for the fix!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Weather
- Updated: Jul 22, 2015
- Version: 3.6.4
- Size: 16.2 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: E.W. Scripps Company
- © 2015 The E. W. Scripps Co. and Weather Decision Technologies, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.