By E.W. Scripps Company
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Named by Time.com's @Techland as one of the best weather apps for Your iPhone. And now the first app to give you severe weather alerts for your Apple Watch.
Severe weather alerts for your exact location. Storm Shield Weather Radio gives you storm-based alerts for tornado, hurricane, flood, thunderstorm, winter storms and other life-threatening weather events via voice and push notification.
Storm-based or polygon alerts help reduce false alarms by alerting you to severe weather based on your exact location within a county. Many other products still use county-based alerts (meaning you'd get an alert even if your location in the county is not within the threatened area).
What people are saying:
• Storm Shield "can keep you appraised of everything from severe thunderstorms to flash flooding... this kind of information can be a life-saver, as many of its loyal users have already attested." - Time.com
• "Has kept me up to date with all Winter Storm Watch and Warnings this winter. Very helpful for my winter hikes." - Matthew
• "A total life saver. I live in Chicago and we have winter storms... Storm Shield is on my side when my mom has to call the school requesting a snow day!" - Zachary34562
• Storm Shield "alerted our family of the Broken Arrow, OK tornado, faster than the TV and tornado sirens." - Robyn, Broken Arrow, OK resident
• "I was in Oklahoma City during the tornado... we were right in its path. Your app literally was a life saver." - dcalk12
• Get NOAA alerts via voice and push notification no matter where you are in the United States.
• With Storm Shield's Apple Watch extension get a tap on your wrist any time severe weather alerts are issued for your locations.
• Share severe weather alerts with your family and friends to make sure they stay safe.
• Beautifully sharp radar map as your home screen so you can immediately see what's going on at your current and saved locations.
• Share your radar view with family and friends when severe weather is affecting them.
• See where NOAA watches and warnings are issued by switching map overlays.
• See Hurricane and Tropical Storm forecast tracks.
• Save five additional locations to make sure friends and family at home, work, or out of state stay safe.
• School Closings for Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Denver, Detroit, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Tulsa and Buffalo.
• View current conditions, hourly and daily forecasts.
• Severe weather forecasts in the app. Know where bad weather will occur before you travel with forecasts by our Storm Shield Meteorologist.
• Watch live video streams when available (usually during local coverage of severe weather in most cities listed below).
• Storm Shield uses iOS Significant-Change Location and Background Refresh (not GPS) to balance location accuracy and battery life.
• Turn off Background Tracking and instead set one of your five locations to where you are most often.
Storm Shield is made possible by The E.W. Scripps Company, including WCPO Cincinnati, KNXV ABC15 Phoenix, WEWS Newsnet5 Cleveland, WXYZ Detroit, KJRH Tulsa, KMGH ABC7 Denver, KGTV ABC10 San Diego, KERO 23 Bakersfield, WMAR ABC2 Baltimore, WFTS ABCActionNews Tampa, WPTV News Channel 5 West Palm Beach, WRTV RTV6 The IndyChannel Indianapolis, KSHB 41 Action News Kansas City, WKBW Buffalo, WTVF Nashville, KMTV ActionNews Omaha, WSYM Fox47 News Lansing-Jackson, WFTX Fox 4 Ft. Myers, WTMJ Milwaukee, WGBA NBC26 Green Bay, KIVI Fox9 On Your Side Boise, KTNV 13 ActionNews Las Vegas, KGUN 9 On Your Side Tucson, KTTS Springfield and KFDI Wichita.
View our Support FAQs at support.stormshieldapp.com, and get tips, updates and more on our Storm Shield Facebook page.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 3.8.3
• Thanks to your feedback from our recent v3.7.1 release, we were able to squash an unforeseen bug that came up for some iOS 7 users, which caused their current conditions and forecast screens to go blank. This release fixes that issue.
Thanks for all your feedback from the last release and keep your feedback coming! We are working hard to make the product better with each update.
• We've added iOS 9 updates to resolve an intermittent crash that some users experienced when trying to play a video on their iOS 9 device.
• We've also fixed an issue where the hurricane forecast track layer would sometimes not appear along with radar imagery, and improved the scrolling of the Location Detail screen for a smoother experience.
• We've made enhancements to resolve the slow radar display that some users were experiencing. Thanks for your patience as we worked hard to squash this bug.
• Fixes an issue with some users not receiving push notifications.
• Additional performance enhancements and squashed a few miscellaneous bugs.
• Storm Shield is now on Apple Watch! Get a tap on your wrist from Storm Shield’s Apple Watch extension when you receive severe weather alerts. Quickly see in glance view how many active alerts exist across all your current and saved locations in Storm Shield.
• We've expanded the daily forecast up to 7 days, thanks for your feedback! We've also adjusted the map's default zoom so you can see more of the weather that's coming toward your location.
• We made it easier to adjust the pin drop when creating a new saved location. Now you just move the map instead of having to awkwardly double-tap and drag the pin.
Best Alert App! 120%
I am a certified storm spotter and storm chaser and I highly recommend this app to everyone, from the average person to weather experts. Once you set this app up on your phone or tablet you will never be caught off guard by any weather. This app will alert you while your device is in sleep mode (screen is off). Also use your location tracking to alert you while traveling. This app will alert you before the news channels because you will receive the latest watches and warnings as soon as the National Weather Service issues them! Highly Recommended I can't say it enough, some people don't pay attention to weather. Continue your daily routines and let Storm Shield monitor the weather for you, this app might save your life one day!
Best alert app
I have tried several weather apps. Storm Shield is the best when it comes to notifying me of impending severe weather. The current coating tracking function is great for travel; weather at our destination, or even on the route, is monitored and I am alerted as needed, even if the lock screen is off. The app also provides hourly and daily weather forecasts. It has even replaced my weather radio on my nightstand for severe weather alerting.
Storm Shield saved my life more then 10 times. It got me aware of the floods during the 2013 endless rains where I might have passed out alone on my bike in flooded locations if StormShield had not notified me to seek shelter while I was out on my bicycle un prepared for my allergies of the weather. The clouds came in three hours after it's notification about the rains and gave me a chance to get home before the flat light of the clouds made me have a seizure.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Weather
- Updated: Nov 23, 2015
- Version: 3.8.3
- Size: 18.5 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: E.W. Scripps Company
- © 2015 The E. W. Scripps Co. and Weather Decision Technologies, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.