Named by Time.com's @Techland as one of the best weather apps for your iPhone and Apple Watch.
Severe weather alerts for your exact location. Storm Shield gives you storm-based alerts for tornado, hurricane, flood, thunderstorm, winter storms and other life-threatening weather events via voice and push notification.
Storm-based alerts help reduce false alarms by alerting you to severe weather based on your exact location within a county. County-based alerts can result in false alarms, warning you when your location in the county is not within the threatened area.
What people are saying:
• Storm Shield "alerted our family of the Broken Arrow, OK tornado, faster than the TV and tornado sirens." - Robyn
• "I was in Oklahoma City during the tornado... we were right in its path. Your app literally was a life saver." - dcalk12
• Get voice alerts just like a NOAA weather radio via push notification anywhere in the United States.
• With Apple Watch, get a tap on your wrist when alerts are issued for your locations.
• Add Storm Shield's widget to your Today screen to get quick access to active alerts for the first location in your app.
• Touch Storm Shield's app icon on your 3D-Touch enabled iPhone for quick widget access.
• Hi-Def radar map is your home screen so you can quickly see what's going on at your locations.
• Long-tap on the map to get current conditions, hourly and daily forecasts.
• Save additional locations to ensure family members stay safe.
• Closings for Baltimore, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Denver, Detroit, Green Bay, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Lansing, Milwaukee, Nashville, Omaha, Tulsa.
View NOAA severe weather alerts on the map to see where dangerous weather is happening:
• Tap alerts to view info
• Flood watches & warnings
• Tornadoes & Thunderstorms
• Hurricane & Tropical Storm forecast tracks
• Winter storms
• Marine & Coastal alerts
• Radar & Clouds
• Wind Speed
• Snow Cover
• Water Temperatures
• Road Weather
• Premium Weather (purchase required)
• Lightning Alerts and notifications (purchase required)
Enhance your app with auto-renewing monthly subscriptions:
• Buy 'Premium Weather' to unlock these 3 features:
1) Future Radar: See radar into the future (6 hrs on Wi-Fi, 2 hrs on cellular)
2) Storm Tracks: See how fast storms are moving & where they're headed
3) Future Temperature Map: See future temperatures map (12 hrs on Wi-Fi, 5 hrs on cellular)
• Buy 'Lightning' to unlock these 2 features:
1) Lightning strike push notifications up to 10 miles away.
2) See lightning on the map within 150 miles of a selected location.
• Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
• Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period.
• Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal.
• Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase.
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
Storm Shield is made possible by The E.W. Scripps Company & KMGH Denver, WXYZ Detroit, WCPO Cincinnati, WEWS Cleveland, RTV6 Indianapolis, KSHB Kansas City, WTVF Nashville, KMTV Omaha, KJRH Tulsa, KTTS Springfield, KFDI Wichita, WFTS Tampa, WPTV West Palm Beach, WFTX Ft. Myers, WTMJ Milwaukee, WGBA Green Bay, WSYM Lansing-Jackson, WMAR Baltimore, WKBW Buffalo, KNXV Phoenix, KGUN Tucson, KTNV Las Vegas, KGTV San Diego, KERO Bakersfield, KIVI Boise.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
• We fixed a bug on iPad where the map didn't properly display across the entire screen when iPad was in Landscape View. As a result of this fix, we've expanded the Location Card view (at the bottom of the map screen) to be more helpful and show more hours when iPad is in Landscape view.
• We fixed another bug where the Hurricane Tracks detail screen could not be closed if it displayed a lot of hurricane track data points.
• We fixed a small bug where the app would crash when attempting to Share a map image to the device's Camera Roll.
• We fixed a small bug that caused the app's Notifications permission box to not display correctly when the user wanted to enable Weather Alerts in the app, but the iOS device itself had notifications disabled (in iOS Settings).
• Additional under-the-hood maintenance items are included in this release.
Ratings and Reviews
World geography at your fingertips
I love that no matter where I or my friends and family are located, I can be aware of their situation. I can check my exact location and see what is coming my way; whereas, TV is more general. Alerts are good. I use it to check where a country is located. You can expand the area to towns and rivers. I show my friends.
Developer Response ,
Happy to hear the app is meeting many of your needs! Thanks for letting us know!
After the storm would be the time to make a review of how accurate the forecast was , not before the storm.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your comment!
I’ve had iPhones for a long time. For a brief period a few years ago, I switched to an android. That’s when I first started using Storm Shield. It worked great. When I switched back to iPhone, it hardly works at all. Can you PLEASE fix the app for iOS?
Developer Response ,
We're sorry to hear you're having problems with the app. In order to fix the app, or answer any questions you have, it would be helpful to know what's not working right for you. Please provide more detail by filing a Support ticket from within your app. This provides us with additional diagnostic data, which helps us work with you on any problems you're experiencing. Thank you!
- E.W. Scripps Company
- 78.2 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © The E.W. Scripps Company
- In-App Purchases
- 30-Day Limited Offer Upgrade $1.49
- Premium Weather $0.99
- Weather Bundle $1.49
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.