By E.W. Scripps Company
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Severe weather alerts for your exact location. Storm Shield Weather Radio gives you storm-based alerts for tornado, hurricane, flood, thunderstorm, winter storms and other life-threatening weather events via voice and push notification.
Storm-based or polygon alerts help reduce false alarms by alerting you to severe weather based on your exact location within a county. Many other products still use county-based alerts (meaning you'd get an alert even if your location in the county is not within the threatened area).
What people are saying:
• Storm Shield "alerted our family of the Broken Arrow, OK tornado, faster than the TV and tornado sirens." - Robyn, Broken Arrow, OK resident
• "I was in Oklahoma City during the tornado... we were right in its path. Your app literally was a life saver." - dcalk12
• Get NOAA alerts via voice and push notification no matter where you are in the United States.
• Share severe weather alerts with your family and friends to make sure they stay safe.
• Beautifully sharp radar map as your home screen so you can immediately see what's going on at your current and saved locations.
• Share your radar view with family and friends when severe weather is affecting them.
• See where NOAA watches and warnings are issued by switching map overlays.
• See Hurricane and Tropical Storm forecast tracks.
• Save five additional locations to make sure friends and family at home, work, or out of state stay safe.
• School Closings for Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Denver, Detroit, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Tulsa and Buffalo.
• View current conditions, hourly and daily forecasts.
• Severe weather forecasts in the app. Know where bad weather will occur before you travel with forecasts by our Storm Shield Meteorologist.
• Watch live video streams when available (usually during local coverage of severe weather in cities listed below).
• Storm Shield uses iOS Significant-Change Location and Background Refresh (not GPS) to balance location accuracy and battery life.
• Turn off Background Tracking and instead set one of your five locations to where you are most often.
Storm Shield is made possible by The E.W. Scripps Company, including WCPO Cincinnati, KNXV ABC15 Phoenix, WEWS Newsnet5 Cleveland, WXYZ Detroit, KJRH Tulsa, KMGH ABC7 Denver, KGTV ABC10 San Diego, KERO 23 Bakersfield, WMAR ABC2 Baltimore, WFTS ABCActionNews Tampa, WPTV News Channel 5 West Palm Beach, WRTV RTV6 The IndyChannel Indianapolis, KSHB 41 Action News Kansas City, WKBW Buffalo.
View our Support FAQs at support.stormshieldapp.com, and get tips, updates and more on our Storm Shield Facebook page.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 3.3.8
• Squashed more bugs and fixed app crashes
• When creating a saved location, the red location pin will now remain precisely where you move the pin to if you are trying to move the default placement of the pin.
Thanks for all your feedback from the last release and keep your feedback coming! We are working hard to make the product better with each update.
• Squashed the bugs causing the intermittent crashes and download fail errors
• Added a current location button on the home screen so you can quickly center the map
• Added a quick tutorial on start up to help you get oriented with the new design
Storm Shield has been completely redesigned based on all your feedback. Quicker access to radar and the ability to share alerts were at the top of your list. We made those priorities one and two in this version of Storm Shield.
• Radar is now your home screen
Radar is the first thing you look at when opening the app, so we made it the home screen.
• Share alerts
Share severe weather alerts with your family and friends to make sure they stay safe.
• Optimized for iPad
Redesigned to look great across all your iOS devices.
• Severe weather forecasts in the app
Know where bad weather will occur before you travel with forecasts by our Storm Shield Meteorologist.
Storm Shield's new full-screen radar map is especially sharp on the bigger retina screens of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. If you haven't upgraded your old iPhone yet, we encourage you to do so. We have more plans to enhance the radar and make it faster in the months to come.
If you have questions about Storm Shield version 3, view our FAQs at support.stormshieldapp.com.
This app saved my life
One horrible night in Colorado my wife and I had just laid down to go to sleep. Then the alert on this phone alerted us that a tornado and horrible storm was forming directly above us. The storm came on so fast. The news prior said the storm was supposed to start farther east from us. When I started to hear the alarm outside I went to turn my tv on to find out what was going on. However, having dish tv I could not get a signal through the storm above us. I then went out side and saw the most God fearing night sky I have ever seen in my life. It was so bright out from all of the lightning strikes I could see the tornado start to form. My phone is blowing up at this point from alerts from this app telling us to get to a basement and find shelter. Then the ice/hail and rain started to fall at an incredible rate. We lived on the first floor in an apartment. I was looking out into the hallway out the front door and the water looked like a massive water fall/river coming down the steps. Within a minute from the time it started to hail and rain it the water flooded the apartment coming in under our front door. The storm drains where clogged from ice/hail and other debris. Without this app I would have never known what was going on. It has also served its purpose in a number of other occasions like durning hurricane Sandy when my wife and I just moved to Pennsylvania.
Trusted weather application, DON'T UPDATE!
Most predictions for dangerous weather come and go with most parts accurate and a few parts wrong while Humans cannot talk to the clouds. The Storm Shield App. has kept me prepared in advanced always for when to expect any uncomfortable temperatures and traveling problems for me and my bicycle for almost 10 years, but updates are always made for newer phones and products verses the older ones.
Trust the Storm Shield after you PROGRAM SETTINGS for your locations!
This app is the worse! They need to refund our money! It work great until they changed it... Now it tells me all the time... For days "failed to download" when I try to see the weather. When it does finally work.. Which isn't often you can look at the rain or snow because the little squares never are complete. I am really upset that something that was my favorite is now my worse... I even took it off my iPhone & iPad but decided to put it back so I could write this review. I recommend before you even consider this app look at the other stations FREE ones! They work all the time!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Weather
- Updated: Feb 10, 2015
- Version: 3.3.8
- Size: 9.7 MB
- Language: En
- Seller: E.W. Scripps Company
- © 2015 The E. W. Scripps Co. and Weather Decision Technologies, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.