By Taptrix, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Brushes is a painting app designed exclusively for iOS. Rewritten from the ground up, Brushes 3 is universal — the same version runs on both your iPhone and your iPad. Move paintings between your devices and keep working wherever you go.
An accelerated OpenGL-based painting engine makes painting smooth and responsive — even with huge brush sizes. Brushes also records every step in your painting. Show off your creative process by replaying your paintings directly on your device.
– Create paintings with dimensions up to 2048x2048
– Full support for all Retina devices
– Background autosave
– Unlimited undo and redo
– Simple and approachable interface
– Full screen painting
– Record and replay paintings
– Ultrafast OpenGL-based painting engine
– Huge brush sizes up to 512x512 pixels
– Simulated pressure
– 64-bit painting on the latest hardware
– 14 parameterized brush shapes
– Adjustable brush settings (spacing, jitter, scatter, etc.)
– Adjustable color opacity
– Invert color and desaturate
– Flip and arbitrarily transform layers
– Adjustable color balance (iPad only)
– Adjustable hue, saturation and brightness (iPad only)
– Create up to 10 layers
– Lock and hide layers
– Lock layer transparency
– Adjust layer opacity
– Duplicate, rearrange, and merge layers
– Change blending modes: normal, multiply, screen, exclude
Import and Export:
– Integrated with Dropbox
– Import native Brushes 3 files, JPEG, and PNG files
– Export as native Brushes 3 files, JPEG, PNG, and Photoshop files (with layers)
– Place images from your photo album into paintings
– Copy paintings to the pasteboard
– Tweet paintings
– Post paintings to Facebook
– Zoom with two finger pinch
– Zoom in with two finger double tap
– Zoom to fit with two finger double tap
– Toggle interface visibility with a single tap (this can be changed to a two finger tap in the app settings)
– Tap and hold to access eyedropper tool
Screenshot credit: "Portrait of Ally" by John Bavaro (http://johnbavaro.com)
What's New in Version 3.1
As of version 3.1, Brushes is free/libre open-source software! Get the source code and contribute: github.com/sprang
- Updated to support iOS 7 (still runs on iOS 5 and 6)
- Updated to support new 64-bit iPhones and iPads
- Removed in-app purchase. Layer support is now included.
- Bug Fixes
Brilliant app, one thing missing
Trust me when I say this app makes anyone's art look like a masterpiece! The variety of simple-to-use yet advanced options for drawing are incredible.
However, unless I am missing an option somewhere, there is no color picker. That is a tool I use so often in other apps, I'm going to dock a star.
However, I shouldn't complain since this is open-source now, so I should just go and hack together one for the app myself, shouldn't I?
One or Two Tools Missing
The thing this app is missing is that in needs a blur tool or a blending tool otherwise this app is amazing. Also needed to be one of those color picking tools that can be used to select the previous color you were simply using off of the canvas.
Great for drawing and painting etc
Making your own custom brushes is really simple and you can pick your own smoothness, hardness, texture, it's really innovative. Then you can just pick your own color and go. You can also place photos on layers and draw on them so that's pretty fun.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Nov 13, 2013
- Version: 3.1
- Size: 13.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Taptrix, Inc.
- © 2012 Steve Sprang
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.