PWN: Combat Hacking
By 82 Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
PWN is a multiplayer strategy game about competitive computer hacking. Battle your rivals to take over networks using viruses, trojans, and backdoors like you were in a retro-futuristic hacker movie.
"Smart, highly addictive, and competitive strategy/puzzle action" - 148 Apps (Editor's Choice)
"The experience is simply exquisite. Such tension, such drama...it's just perfect...PWN: Combat Hacking is what I want hacking to be." - Kotaku
"A ludicrously chaotic, quick-fire take on the real-time strategy genre, delivering plentiful amounts of rich, strategically satisfying tactical action" - PocketGamer (Silver Award)
In this fast real-time strategy game you face off against other elite hackers within a 3D cyberspace and blast each other off the grid by tactical use of computer viruses, trojans, and spikes. Defend your own nodes with encryption, firewalls, and scanners. And watch out for hidden traps like backdoors that can decimate your network from within. Become the notorious computer hacker you always wanted to be.
- Real-time, player vs. player tactical hacking battles
- Eight hacker characters to choose from, each with a special skill proficiency
- Infiltrate maze-like three-dimensional network grids
- 10+ hours of single-player campaigns where you take out other hackers, learn and upgrade various hacking skills, and finally compete in a huge tournament
- Online and Local multiplayer
- Now with cross-platform multiplayer - download in the Mac App Store and play against friends on their phone!
- iCloud support
- Widescreen support
- 90 different maps to battle on
- No actual coding/hacking knowledge required!
What's New in Version 2.02
- Fixed exploit in multiplayer speed
- Multiplayer color is always blue, enemy is always red
- Streamlined tutorials and first campaign
- Can now upgrade skills from within Tournaments
- Fixed iCloud reliability
- Sound effect volume now responds to main audio volume
- Can play background music from another app
Good, hard, maybe too fast
This game has quite the precipitous learning curve between the first and second campaigns. You play through the entire first campaign, never coming close to losing, wondering whether you just paid for a piece of weak interactive fiction instead of a game.
Then in the first tournament, you get an inkling that the AI might just be getting started.
Then in the 2nd campaign, you face disadvantages that are just brutal. Your opponents outgun you with more skills than you and can capture and place the specials faster than you.
I eventually got to a point where I had all my known skills maxed out, but I still wasn't able to progress past any of my available battles.
It seems like the AI wins by being faster. For one thing, it never pauses to think. I don't know if its actual skills and node captures are recharging faster as well, or if that's just my human perception.
As a player I appreciate an uphill battle as a challenge. However, I would like an option to level the playing field, at my discretion, just to be able move past where I'm stuck. The ability to pause while issuing commands in single-player would be a welcome addition in this regard. Or slowing down the AI to human norms.
The only game so far that made me skip my bus and subway stops. Immersive and highly addictive!
This is extremely rare case when great idea has met superb graphics, spiced up with proper music and FX and all this with easy and intuitive gameplay.
What is IMO missing:
-tutorial lives its own life: you cannot choose which skill in particular you want to practice, you cannot choose map you want to practice, it's just entirely random. Also why not let choose your adversary?
- small reminder about skills would be also helpful - how each skill actually works and their interaction. Currently you only get it when you gain the skill itself.
-would be also nice to see more missions (like cyberattacks on various networks, rewards, maybe shop) and maybe more skills.
But that's just minor comments. Overall it's a really great yet simple game!
Fun and exciting. Don't play near distractions.
As the other reviewers stated, this is a very fun, exciting, and addicting game to play.
For the sake of family harmony, I don't recommend trying to play this around distractions. This game requires concentration to play well.
I have noticed that progress on my iPad does not Cary over to my iPhone. It would be nice to continue playing on my other devices without having yo redo all of my progress to date within a campaign.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Jul 11, 2013
- Version: 2.02
- Size: 40.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Erik Asmussen
- © 2013 Erik Asmussen
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Unlock All Characters$0.99
- Unlock All Campaign Maps$0.99