With this beautiful iPad app from Touch Press you can explore the incredible pyramids and tombs of ancient Egypt. Fly around the plateau where the pyramids and the Sphinx are located at Giza near Cairo. Enter and wander around the labyrinthine tombs and passageways. Examine stunning wall paintings in incredible detail, rotate royal statues and spin 3D objects. Everything has been painstakingly recreated from ultra-high-resolution digital imagery captured on location in Egypt by Sandro Vannini, the world's greatest photographer of archeological sites and antiquities.
To help explain and illuminate the world of the ancient Egyptians, there is an accompanying interactive book, specially written by world-renowned Egyptologist, Zahi Hawass with other expert archeologists. Touch any painting or object in the pyramids and tombs to discover what they represent, who made them and what place they have in the culture of the Old Kingdom. This exquisite app breaks new ground in presenting the treasures of the past and bringing them alive in your hands on the iPad.
• Highly detailed 3D representation of the Giza plateau for you to fly around
• All three main pyramids, the Sphinx and eight fascinating tombs to enter and explore
• Stunning annotated HD photography of the interiors of the pyramids and tombs
• 35 digital restorations of wall paintings showing their original appearance
• a collection of panoramic views at ground level
• Specially written text telling the story of the Old Kingdom, its rulers, and great monuments, supported with interactive illustrations
• Over 350 beautiful photographs vividly illustrating the Giza plateau, the excavations, and the building of the pyramids
• Animated and narrated expert introductions to the tombs from Egyptologist Bram Calcoen
• 40 exquisite antiquities presented as fully manipulable 3D objects that can be zoomed and spun to view from every angle
• 3D objects include Tutankhamun’s mask and the Solar Boat
The Pyramids - Wonders of the Old Kingdom is published by Touch Press, the people behind the best-selling iPad titles: The Elements, Solar System for iPad and The Waste Land, along with many other titles that have been App of the Week and Editor's Choice.
This title is produced and published in partnership with Heritage World Press and Laboratorio Rossi.
Minor bug fixes and stability improvements
Ratings and Reviews
I got this app when it first came out and I loved it. I still love it now. As for price, people don’t realize how much effort it takes to create apps like this. You pay about the same for a burger and fries and your money is gone (the stomach ache lingers for a while though).
This app is great for children and adults, so don’t hesitate...get it now. Oh, one more thing: why are great apps hidden, while terrible apps are pushed? The previous App Store was bad, but the latest is as terrible as terrible can be. Please Apple, you can do better than this!
Interesting but not enough substance
Like many people I have always been fascinated with Ancient Egypt. Unfortunately I haven't yet made the long planned trip to see the incredible sites for myself. With the recent political changes in that country may trip may have to be postponed for a while longer. Consequenrly I was delighted to find this app in the store with the promise of a virtual tour of the famed Giza plateau and guided narration.
While the app is certainly fun, it falls short becuase the narration is so limited. The included "book" is fun but short and contains only abbreviated information...no real depth.
While it is clearly fun to explore the 3D world, it soon becomes apparent how much detail is lacking in the 3D world when the actual photos of the areas are compared.
This is also a pricey app for what it is.
I'd like to see much more audio narration and explanation of artifacts.
This is an amazing app. The graphics are well done. It brought Ancient Egypt to life for me! It is definitely worth the money and the space it takes up. 😊👏
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.