Instacast 5 - Podcast Client
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Instacast is a revolutionary podcast client and offers the best podcast experience on the planet. It syncs seemlessly between iPhone, iPad and Mac.
What's new in 5.0?
* Redesigned media player
* Redesign lists
* Up Next playback queue: a dynamic playlist that allows you to queue episodes for sequential playback.
* Sharing functionality optimized for iOS 8
* Full-text search (optional In-App Purchase)
* Night-Mode automatically switches at sunset and sunrise (optional In-App Purchase)
* Full support of iPhone 6 and 6+
All the great features Instacast users are already familiar with:
* Detailed subscription management and customization
* Lists and Bookmarks
* An elegant and sophisticated audio and video player
* Offline playback of downloaded episodes
* Interact with episodes by reading show notes in an easy-to-read format, and share episodes via iOS 8 extensions
* Import your podcasts from iTunes or other podcast clients
* Seamless, instant synchronisation between other copies of Instacast on iOS and OS X via Instacast Cloud
* A universal app for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad on iOS 7 or higher required.
Localized in English, German
For more detailed information please see Instacast's product page on the Vemedio website: http://vemedio.com/instacast
What's New in Version 5.0.3
- Added Up Next editor (long tap Now Playing bar)
- Playing an episode from a subscription list will not empty Up Next anymore
- Added number of queued episodes to Now Playing bar
- Added 'Open in Safari' sharing extension
- Fixed bookmarks sort order
- Fixed fullscreen video player closing when starting queued video
- Fixed updating chapter artwork when playback paused
- Fixed showing 0 min episode duration
- Fixed interface problems with big status bars
- Fixed download button becoming disabled
- Fixed some crashes
If you like what we're doing with Instacast, please support us by giving it a 5 star rating!
So close to greatness
I've tried many podcast clients, and keep coming back to Instacast. However, there are tons of bugs I'd love to see fixed.
Push notifications for new episodes is no longer working, and I don't know there are new episodes until I manually pull to refresh now. Very disappointing.
In fact, podcast feeds rarely update unless I refresh them manually. Which brings me to...
When I go to refresh an individual podcast, there's an awful modal spinny thing that completely prevents me from canceling it, continuing to navigate through the app, or decide it's taking way too long (it always does) and I just don't care anymore. I often kill the app due to this.
When I long press a podcast and choose "play next", just play it next. I didn't ask for a huge modal controller showing the exact action I'm well aware I just performed.
When an episode is downloading, I'd still often like to stream it while it downloads in the background, but tapping the play button stops the download.
Swipe to dismiss the now playing view is awesome, but very jerky at the start of the interaction. I have a feeling I know what you're doing, and you should look into how it's done for mail drafts as of iOS 8. If you slowly swipe it you can see what they're doing, and it's completely smooth.
Hamburger menu. Boo hiss. Tab bars FTW.
That's it for now. I'm sure I'll have more later.
Instacast 5 took away features
First of all, I paid for search and night mode even though I don't use either feature--I'm more than happy to support the developer. Having said that, after trying 5.0.3 I've downgraded myself to Instacast 4 again. Why? Because I can now only add a podcast to the front of the playlist, and I have to hit an icon to dimiss the playlist editor. There's no feature to add a podcast to the END of the playlist. Also, if I'm playing something from a playlist, and decided to play another podcast, that item from the playlist is removed from the list! This was not the behavior of Instacast 4, which simply remembered the location and kept the podcast on the playlist until I actually finish it. Sadly, Instacast 4 is still the best version.
I downloaded this after several podcasts in Apple's native app were crippled. I noted there were in-app purchases offered, but that generally means "extra" functionality, and this would provide me an opportunity to test the app. I signed up providing my e-mail address and logged in only to find... nothing. To add podcasts, you have to be able to use the search feature for which a pop-up window quickly tells you is an in-app purchase. So of course, on general principles, I immediately deleted the app. I won't reward the developers for this bait-and-switch tactic. I could naively write, "wouldn't it be better business and garner more good will to be honest and simply openly charge for the app?" But think about how many e-mail addresses are being harvested in this manner. Is selling those e-mail addresses to scammers the main purpose of this app or just a side business?
- Category: News
- Updated: Nov 11, 2014
- Version: 5.0.3
- Size: 7.2 MB
- Languages: English, German
- Seller: vemedio
- © 2014 Vemedio
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- Night Mode$0.99
- Senator Membership (1 Year)$14.99
- Basic Membership (6 Months)$9.99