Designed for musicians, Speedshifter is a practice tool that enables you to adjust the speed of any audio track without altering the pitch. It is perfect for musical, slow practice to a recorded accompaniment. Developed by ABRSM (the exam board of the Royal Schools of Music), it can be used with any compatible track in your music library* to help you learn new pieces.
Speedshifter can also be used to:
- listen closely to tricky pieces you’re finding particularly hard to learn by slowing them down
- focus on specific sections using the loop function
- transpose a track up or down in semitones to fit with a preferred key or range
- set a reference tempo (BPM) by tapping in time with a track
- store tapped BPM and loop points automatically (once you’ve registered)
- sync BPM and loop settings seamlessly across devices once you’ve downloaded the free desktop version (www.abrsm.org/speedshifter)
- sound a tuning note – simply shake for an A!
*Speedshifter supports playback of MP3, M4A, AIFF and WAV files stored on your device. It cannot play files stored online in iTunes Match.
- Removed login requirements
- All users can now save custom BPM and loop points
Ratings and Reviews
Five stars even with its faults
The interface could be improved but it still deserves five stars just because it is so extremely useful. For trying to work out complex ornamentation in baroque harpsichord works this is indispensable.
Upgrade and improve speed shifter!!!
I don't know if I'll get s response but this app needs to improve on a few small issues! Tech support please respond! This app is a good app, but the speed control needs to be improved! It is not so user friendly when adjusting in the settings down to slow.
Some tunes I need slowed down to 30bpm to learn tunes. The button to slow down tunes, does not adjust that easily to get down to 30bmp. Please upgrade this app to slower speeds, with simple instructions! + add the bagpipes practice chanter would be nice. Thanks
Speedshifter for iPad and iPhone
I have used Speedshifter in all capacities: as a teacher, a student, a performer, and just a back porch fiddler. It is one of my absolutely most favorite tools, but it meant dragging a laptop around with me, but not any longer. I just downloaded the mobile Speedshifter to my ipad and it defaults to my iTunes music list. How sweet is that! Nice work y'all. I am just delighted. Thank you. Terry
- The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (Publishing) Limited
- 10.1 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (Publishing) Limited
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.