Chunky Comic Reader
By Michael Ferenduros
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Try an app that makes your comics look great, makes reading them a pleasure, and takes all the friction out of importing and managing them.
• Ultra clean and simple to use
• Smart upscaling makes even low-res comics look great
• Auto contrast/tint fixes yellow pages and faded ink
• Self-organising library - just drop in your comics and go
• Download comics in the background while you read, directly from your cloud file-storage service or the web
• Upgrade to pro, and download from your PC, Mac or NAS as well
• Parental controls let you flag specific comics as ok, and passcode-lock everything else out of sight
• Single-page or two-up page view
• Right-to-left reading mode
• Post screenshots directly to Twitter, Facebook, or Reddit
Chunky supports CBZ, CBR and PDF comics, and understands ComicRack and ComicBookLover tags.
It can browse and download directly from iCloud Drive, Dropbox, Transporter, Google Drive, OneDrive, Box, Pogoplug, Mediafire and Copy, and you can copy files in and out with iTunes on your computer or download them via the built-in web browser.
Upgrade to Pro and it'll also connect to Mac or Windows shared folders, FTP or SFTP servers, ComicStreamer, Calibre or Ubooquity libraries, and run a mini web-server you can use to copy files in and out.
What's New in Version 2.4.3
Some fixes and tweaks:
• Web-browser downloads are working again (sorry 'bout that one)
• Fix messed up colours in some comics
• PRO: Better Calibre and Ubooquity support, including streaming from Ubooquity
Still The Best
Chunky makes me wish I could transfer my non-DRM titles from Dark Horse and Comixology over. While the guided view in those apps I always sort of liked - I prefer to see the whole panel not panels that are cut off - Chunky gives me so many options that I am in Comic viewer bliss now. I was having issues with displaying my PDFs on iBooks, contacted Image Comics about it and was recommended this reader. Now that Comixology allows me to download Image Comics and certain independent titles as PDFs I have been busy transferring them over to Chunky. Along with the others who have reviewed this app, I can not recommend this app enough. Very, very highly recommended.
**update for 2.4.3**
This app is really unbelievable. Thanks for making it. Six stars!!
I'm new to reading digital comics so I ended up trying ten or twenty different readers. For me, Chunky is the best by far. Although I don't read comics very often and the free version is already quite good, I'm spending the three dollars on the pro version as a very small token of thanks for making this!
With intelligent gestures, like tap-to-corners to go the corners/edges of a page rendered larger than your screen, this app makes reading comics a joy. I've read 5 issues I've been saving up in one sitting. It's super stable and easy on battery too. Hard to imagine it getting better than this. I only wish there were an OS X version as well.